Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

PCV Question and Answer

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV Question and Answer

Ok, I just replaced the PCV system along with vac lines and the intake hose to turbo with volvospeed bay13 instructions, I also cleaned the intake ports where the EGR is and throttle body. If you look below at the pictures you will notice that eeuroparts and FCP are different. One has the intake hose going to the middle port on the oil trap (eeuroparts) and the other has the intake hose going to the port closest to the block(FCP). What I am referring to is for a turbo. I have a 1994 854T. The n/a version set-up is different which is alsodepicted here. So my question is do you think that the FCP picture is wrong? Tech or Axelm or S70Driver can you help? Since I have completed the procedure I still have smoke coming from the oil dipstick tube. I know I should of taking a picture of my set-up before I started but I didn't and now after reading blogs on the other forum I am now uncertain. Heres the link I am referencing maybe someone can help the other community as well..http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...howtopic=80459
and
Turbo Set-up
N/a Set-up

Old 07-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PCV Question and Answer

I pass... I have absolutely no idea, sorry.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I will have to try to look at mine and tell you.

Try looking up another site with a break down.
Do you have Vadis?

Old 07-21-2007, 01:01 AM

This is what I got from someone else on the other forum..hope this helps someone!!
1 engine > design and function > 25 intake and exhaust > intake and exhaust > crankcase ventilation

1.Oil trap
2.Cylinder head inlet hose
3.Cylinder block inlet hose
4.Oil pan return connector
5.crankcase ventilation hose
6.PTC-nipple
7.Vacuum hose
The crankcase gases are removed from the cylinder block and to a certain extent the cylinder head to the flame trap (1) where the oil is separated from the gases and returned to the oil pan. The pressure differences between the upper and lower sections of the engine are equalized by the hose to the cylinder head.
When the turbocharger cuts in the crankcase gases pass through the PTC nipple (6) in the crankcase hose (5) to the fresh air intake.
When the engine is idling and lightly laden the vacuum in the fresh air intake in front of the turbocharger (TC) is missing and there is very little crankcase gas. Because of this a vacuum hose (7) is routed from the PTC nipple to a calibrated intake downstream of the throttle so that the crankcase gases are led directly to the intake manifold when lightly laden.
The PTC nipple is calibrated to give a controlled flow of crankcase gases. Power to the PTC nipple is supplied by the engine management system main relay and prevents water vapor in the crankcase freezing in the fresh air intake terminal which would otherwise occur at low temperatures.
The PTC nipple stabilizes at approximately 80°C just after the engine is started.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's like a major debate over on volvospeed.com which one is right. There is a thread right now going on and on about this very topic. I still have not done mine, so I don't know the answer, but when I do, I'm taking pictures of anything and everything BEFORE taking it apart. Some are saying the fcpgroten picture are right and some say the aren't. I'm waiting for tech, cause he is the only one I really trust.

Here is a link to an actual picture on a car. I think this is a 98 V70 though. I think it's the same for 850 Turbos though. You have to page down to see the oil trap and all the hoses.

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/knock_sensor.pdf

Old 07-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Sorry about the poor quality pic it is a pic of my computer screen.
The Pic is from VADIS parts. That is what Volvo uses to look up parts.

Name:  mine.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  40.9 KB

Old 07-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

From what I just read on volvospeed.com that picture from Vadis is the same one fcpgroton is using and it is wrong for the Turbo model.And if you look at that picture and compare itto what I posted in the PDF they are the opposite. Like I said when I do mine, I'm taking a picture before I take anything apart and putting it back together the same way.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Also I just did one the other day.
The nipples on the box are 2 different sizes and so are the hoses.

It really shouldn't be that hard to tell which one goes where.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:10 PM

any other things i should be worried about when replacing my pcv system?

i am ordering the kit. (although mine is i non turbo so i guess this does not aply to me), and plan on doing the job myself..........should be interesting

Old 07-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Make sure you buy a new intake gasket.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:59 AM

Well guys I pulled everything back apart yesterday and reevaluated the PCV system that I replaced last week. It seems as though, I had them backwards if you go by the previous pics. The good news is that it took way less time this time, the not so good news is that I'm still getting smoke out the dip stick tube and now it seems as though I've got more pressure at the valve cover hose, it's not wanting to stay on and the idle miss remains.

When I had it the other way (I didn't notice the top hose having difficulty staying on, the pressures didn't seem as high). I'm at a loss!! I have some tune up parts coming on Monday (plugs, cap,rotor, wires, etc.)so I will take a look at everything again.

Tech when you work on the high mileage Volvo 850T's is there any other place that cloggs up? I cleaned everthing that was suggested I thought. The intake was thoroughly cleaned including the EGR port in the intake, which I might add was completely clogged up, the vac hose were changed, I replaced the intake hose itself..the one to turbo, have new intercooler hoses, I cleaned the throttle body also. I even went through the time to take off little electrical components so they would get damaged..like the one on the throttle body and air filter box. [:@]Frustrated!! Sorry post is so long... the only problem I was having was a little smoke at the dip stick tube and oil leaking from around the bottom of that tube. Now I've got a idle miss, increased pressure, who knows what else!!!!

Anything that I might have overlooked?

If I figure it out I'll update you guys. Thanks for letting me vent

Old 07-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Do you have a clamp in the cam cover hose?
You say it keeps poping off.

With the engine running rev it a couple of time then remove the oil cap and see if you hear pressure release.

If you do then something is still clogged somewhere.

Do you see sludge when you look in the cam cover?

Old 07-22-2007, 09:29 AM

Hey Tech thanks for the reply.

The answer to your first question is yes I have a clamp on the hose, screw type not the volvo crimp type. I'm not sure about pressure release,

I have noticed looking at the cams through the oil fill you can see oil sloushing around and here it. I noticed that when the PCV was plumbed the other way, thought this was normal.

I have always used Mobil 1 synthetic and the inside looks pretty clean.

So with the engine running, rev it with the the oil filler cap off, I should hear a air swoosh sound coming from there if there is a blockage.
Thanks again!

Old 07-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Administrator

No leave the oil cap on and rev it a couple of time. Then open the cap and listen for it to release air.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:04 AM

Well Tech it doesn't seem to release air....

Old 07-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

I swear every time I read about somebody having a problem doing their PCV system, I get more reluctant to do mine. I'm really not having a problem other than my gas mileage on the T5R is not as good as the other two and it didn't improve any when going on a fairly long try, 22 mpg on the highway is pretty bad.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:27 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Acompression test may not hurt?

Can you recall the colour & smell of the smoke coming out of the dipstick tube?

And is oil leaking from the bottom of the tube, not from the top?

After you have determined the culprit, I would replace the O-ring on the dipstick tube, as it's less than a dollar, as well as the oil filler cap, unless there's no oil leak from the cap.

I hope the problem gets resolved soon.

JPN

P.S: Speaking of a long post, I know there is a notorious person who keeps posting long posts throughout the forum, and his user name is.....

.....JPN[8D].

Old 07-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Administrator

I would start with replacing the o-ring on the dipstick like advised above.
Then see what happens from there.
You may have some blowby and the dipstick isn't sealing.
Under normal if the dipstick seals good you might not see it.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:07 PM

damn now i'm scared to do mine

Old 07-22-2007, 10:13 PM

I'm not wanting to scare anyone off from doing this..."green850"...I have seen and heard of many people doing this job without any problems, I just haven't paid my tithes to the volvo gods in quite sometime, lol...so its due. Just remember this and learn from it, maintence is part of owning our beloved bricks, right?

Thanks for everyones feedback and support. I have already replaced the oring at the bottom of the dip stick tube as I did this while doing everything else and the cap gasket too; for they were leaking before I started this adventure. Now there is no leaks but when I pull the dip stick up a little, once warm, I can see a whitish smoke coming up from the tube and like I've already mentioned the hose to the cam cover--once the pressure builds enough --is forced off the nipple and I get the same gases from there.I'm going to try a different clamp on that hose, I'm not convinced that I am getting a good tight grip on that nipple...(cam nipple that is)...lol
So having said that, sometimenext weekI will do the tune up and recheck everything, hoses, connection, ect. I'm not as of right now going to pull the intake again, as I am fairly certain that it is correct this time!!!Will keep you posted...

Quick Reply: PCV Question and Answer