Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

(Poll) Is the 850 the ultimate sleeper car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dan2286
This may not be the "ultimate" sleeper, but not a lot of people know what these cars have in them stock. I would think the Volvo would be considered a much better sleeper compared to this. This is probably one of my favorite cars.

1987 Buick GNX

I will agree! If I saw that next to me, I would just concede and let him know! That's GM horespower at its best!

Old 04-16-2009, 08:40 PM

I have to go with Jim on this. A sleeper is the car you didn't expect to be fast. A Grand National will only fool people who never cared about your car being fast in the first place!
They're fast, but they're not fooling anybody.

Your notes on Corvettes on the first page made me think of an article in a Mustang magazine I used to read back in the '90's. They did a feature on how to beat various cars on the street. I recall they said something like "The new Volvos are more boxer than boxy"--that was when the R models were new hotness.

Anyway, all their advice was about beating various cars except the Corvette section. Their advice on Corvettes was that the driver was the weak link, since he was statistically likely to be a middle-aged professional going through a mid-life crisis. They provided a few throwaway lines to toss over at the other car at the right moment. I only remember three of them:

1. Is that the new RX-7? (To be used on guys with the then-new C5)
2. Do you want to take a moment to let your daughter out? (To be used on guys with their trophy wives in the passenger seat)
3. Your toupee's slipping!

Old 04-16-2009, 10:29 PM

man those gnx are sweet to bad they still go for 10-15K for a clean one

Old 04-16-2009, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by mk3less
man those gnx are sweet to bad they still go for 10-15K for a clean one
The normal Grand Nationals will go for those prices, but a GNX will go for much more than that.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:49 PM

well is still out of my price range

Old 04-16-2009, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by mk3less
well is still out of my price range
Dont worry, the prices should be goin up since the used one in the new Fast and Furious movie Actually, since they are in that movie, I think that eliminates any chance of even maybe being a sleeper.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:03 PM

hey maybe the supra will come down in price now. man I miss my Supra

Old 06-19-2009, 09:42 AM
VJZ

I'm bringing this thread back!

I have beaten a few Mustangs with my wagon.

Its not stock, but not really modded either.

I have had it set at 14.5 psi and it is almost scary how quick this car is.

It cannot grip. At all.

Last night when merging onto a local highway, I was on the phone with my friend. He didn't believe how fast the car is. I was just about onto the highway on the on ramp and floored it from 45-70, which the speedo went climbing BAM just like that.

He started laughing because of how quick it is.

I've driven faster cars, such as some domestics with over 500 HP.

But this is the fastest FWD car I have owned/driven.

Most cars I am not intimidated by. But I can honestly say that this thing scares the living hell out of me sometimes when it doesn't hook up, which is most of the time.

I have it set around stock boost right now, and it is still quick.

If I get new tires at least on the front, I'm sure it will be better, but I'm sure it will still be a bit heart pounding

I'm still trying to figure out if I can beat my buddy in his 99 Trans Am...

But, I will have to confess that the wagon thing is starting to fade on me, and I'm ready to move on to a 98-02 C70 so I can still have the B series engine like my wagon, but a super nice looking coupe.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But it's so much neater to beat somebody who thinks they have a fast car with a wagon. I like the looks of the sedan much betters, but would stay away from the C70. Nice looking but many problems.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Getting To Old To Play...

Well, I guess I would say that I think the S70's and the 850 Turbos are sleepers. I can remember Volvo bragging about how fast their turbo cars were when they first started putting turbos in the 240's, calling them "A Wolf in Sheeps Clothing" but I had never driven them.

I always stayed away from Turbo's because I thought it was more costly, more maintenance, etc. I got the 1st one while shopping for my daughter, ended up getting her a S70 GLT. While shopping for that, mainly because I'm a Volvo guy and knew the S70 was a good buy for a 1st car, I stumbled across a Yellow R that I didn't even know existed because I had never seen one. We got her car in April '09.

Well, my daughter had just wrecked my 960 while we were shopping for her car so I told her that I was going to drive her car until my 960 was fixed. She had to drive the 960 until it came out of the shop.

RACES: One day we just got off the freeway and was about to get on another 4 lane highway and there was a mustang next to me, we were 1st at the light and was turning left. He inched forward, so I inched forward, he did it again so I repeated. He gave a slight rev and I stared at him. My daughter was saying something but I did not know she was talking to me, she had the phone up to her head. When the light turned green I punched it. The S70 GLT jumped off and I had to really control the turn, I got off of it and let the mustang catch up, I stayed 1 car legnth ahead of him and he tried to get ahead of me but I did not let him until we got to the speed limit of 50 mph. So, I let him go. About 2-1/2 miles down the road, after the mustang was long gone, my daughter said, "her comes those cops I was telling you about". What!!! She said she seen not 1 but 2 state troopers sitting off the light helping a lady change her tire (a flat). I asked why she didn't tell me and she said that she tried and thought I heard her. Well, they BOTH pulled me over. This bright red S70 with tinted windows, a tail wing and college license plates (go team spirit) on the back, you should have seen the troopers face when he seen my old a** behind the wheel. He looked really confused. He actually did not know what to say. So he asked if I was the one that jumped off at the light, smoking my tires and spining them like that and I kindly told him that it must have been that mustang that is LONG GONE. I did not know what was wrong with him. Then the trooper said, "I wasn't going to give anyone a ticket, just thought some kids were jacking around and I was going to tell them to chill out" still looked surprised to see me. I told him that me and my daughter just got done fishing and was on our way to get something to eat. And the said be safe and let us go.

The next month I got my Yellow 850 R. I was crossing a bridge and seen a rice burner (looked like a civic, lowered and stripped of markings) coming up kinda fast so I dropped over to the slow lane (3 lanes). Well, when he went to pass in the fast lane I started matching his speed. Almost 1/2 way he noticed that I was matching him so he looked over I seen him jerk and started moving forward. Well, I let him get about 2 car legnths ahead and I punched it. About 3/4 of the way across the bridge I started passing him, at the end of the bridge I was about 2 or 3 car legnths ahead of him then we started up the hill. I looked down and I was going about 110 and knew I would not make the next turn at that speed so I hit the brakes to let him know I was slowing down to let him catch up and pass. He really gave me a funny look.

It's all to stressful for me. After that spat my back was hurting, my behind was hurting, and the back of my legs were hurting. I could even feel the tension in my neck. I simply can not take the Adrenaline Rush. Maybe I need to start working out. I chalk it up to driving the freeking speed limit for almost 30 years. I'm just to dang scared to get a speeding ticket. Those feeling has attached me a couple of times while anticipating a short street race.

On the way to Charlotte NC the other day (in my Yellow R) I was not racing but I was making real good time. Once I got into North Carolina I was on 74 I thing, I was changing my glasses, putting on my normal glasses because it was cloudy. While messing with my glasses I was not watching my speed and when I finally got them on I seen something out of the corner of my eye and looked to me left and seen the police car in the median making a u-turn. I looked at my speed and I was going 84 in a 65. Dang, I almost took the front of his bumper off. So I took my foot off the gas so he would not see brake light and let it slow down to 65. Well, the actually went by me and took the next exit and pulled over a truck. I figure he had clocked the truck so did not clock me. Well about 2 miles down the road I seen another cop which followed me about 5 miles. Finally pulled me over and played a few games with me and my wife. Claims he pulled me over to check my tint, said it was to dark for my state. I figured the other cop told him that I was running fast to check me out. He actually had a tint meter to check my window and told me what the limit was for my state. Gave me a waring ticket so I asked what I was suppose to do with that and he said toss it when I got back home. Started to ask him to do me a favor and toss it himself but did not want him following me all the way to Charlotte.

At the track I barely beat a newer Civic VTech with about $7,000 worth of mods. I wish I would have remembered to switch to SPORT mode. Felt like I had my exhaust plugged up. I ran a 15.476 or something like that.