Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Making a 13 second car (Ultimate thread)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:14 PM
VJZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making a 13 second car (Ultimate thread)

So what needs to be done to make a 13 second 850.

I'm planning on selling my wagon to get a Jeep Wrangler to fix up, sell and make a profit so I can get into an S70, C70 coupay or another 850 T-5.

So lets get this started.

Lets build the ultimate thread on what you can do.

To outline my wagon, I have a custom intake that I built myself.

Essentially, I took a part of an Accord intake pipe and cut it to fit right before the intake pipe sensor on the PCV system near the throttle body. I then purchased to silicone couplers for the MAF and to the filter, and throttle body.

I have a manual boost controller, a turbo XS BOV, and a couple other things.

Basically it. I'm not sure how it would run. But its a lot of fun to drive.

What's up with your car?

Old 07-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an OBX Performance Exhaust (3" DP to 2.5" catback) sitting in my backseat along with a K&N airfilter (I'm going to mod the air intake also). IPD performance plug wires and engine mount coming in the mail tomorrow.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a low 14s car.....could be high 13s....

A guy over here in Cali has a 15G turbo, Chips, 3"turbo-back, Cam/gear, and Big IC, and his did 13 flat. pretty quick for a middle 940.

I assume the 850s could hit the same time.....similar bolt ons....

I though a stock 850 is ~14s????

Old 07-09-2009, 05:55 PM

I think it's in like the mid 14's. I remember looking at a chart that had numerous car's times, and I think that's where it fell.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:10 PM

*TIP* If you want to do exhaust upgrades and have either a 94 or 95, get a new straight turbo housing. Those years have conical housings, causing you to not reap the full benefits of a performance exhaust.

Lucky me...

Old 07-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gilber33
I have an OBX Performance Exhaust (3" DP to 2.5" catback) sitting in my backseat along with a K&N airfilter (I'm going to mod the air intake also). IPD performance plug wires and engine mount coming in the mail tomorrow.
K&N isnt going to do anything for you. u need a cai.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Your loosing performance most likely with the BOV. I am assuming your automatic. So thusly the BOV is worthless as it only goes off when you let off the pedal. Also it will run RICH for the split second it vents to the atmosphere... Not to mention TURBO XS is a highly notorious brand that leaks like crazy.

You have MBC, yet what boost are you running at? 5PSI,10PSI,15PSI?

Right now with the limited info I am going to say 15.0 seconds... In your current car and setup.

I'd suggest getting into a 1998 S70 T5 if you can and a manual is even better but harder to find. If you want this to become a 13 second car I'd suggest this stuff.

1. FULL STAGE ZERO

2. 3" MANDREL BENT DOWNPIPE TO A 3" MANDREL BENT CATBACK WITH A FREE FLOWING STRAIGHT THROUGH DESIGN MUFFLER.

3. CUSTOM SHORT RAM INTAKE AND OR COLD AIR INTAKE.

4. CUSTOM ECU TUNE FROM IPD USA, EUROSPORTTUNING (EST), RICA.

5. Turbo upgrade, 18T,19T and or something in the bigger Garrett line up.

6. Possibly using LPT cams Guys in the 850 T5's and R's use the 850 LPT cams and have had good results with them. You could try this too with s70 LPT cams.

7.I'D ALSO SUGGEST REMOVING UNWANTED WEIGHT. FOR EVERY 100LBS LOST YOU GAIN A 10TH OF A SECOND ROUGHLY. SO FOR RACING REMOVE THE REAR SEATS AND FRONT PASSENGER SEAT, ALSO FLOOR MATS, SPEAKERS, HEADUNIT, SPARE TIRE AND GEAR, DOOR PANELS.

8.TO GO ALONG WITH NUMBER 5 IF YOU CAN FIND A CF HOOD FOR THE S70 WHICH WERE MADE BY THE WAY NOT MANY AROUND NOW THAT WILL DROP YOU ABOUT 60 POUNDS RIGHT THERE. NOW THE TRUNK LIDS I NEVER SAY MADE SO THAT WOULD BE A CUSTOM JOB.

Also lighter rims of course...

I think with these mods you'd at least be in the low 14's to upper 13's. Modding a Volvo isn't easy and it takes a lot to get them to a high performer.

FYI, I wasn't yelling at you with my CAPS. I was trying to make it stand out better.

Last edited by S70driver; 07-10-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by nonsense619
K&N isnt going to do anything for you. u need a cai.

After I'm done with it it will.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:23 PM
VJZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S70driver
Your loosing performance most likely with the BOV. I am assuming your automatic. So thusly the BOV is worthless as it only goes off when you let off the pedal. Also it will run RICH for the split second it vents to the atmosphere... Not to mention TURBO XS is a highly notorious brand that leaks like crazy.

You have MBC, yet what boost are you running at? 5PSI,10PSI,15PSI?

Right now with the limited info I am going to say 15.0 seconds... In your current car and setup.

I'd suggest getting into a 1998 S70 T5 if you can and a manual is even better but harder to find. If you want this to become a 13 second car I'd suggest this stuff.

1. FULL STAGE ZERO

2. 3" MANDREL BENT DOWNPIPE TO A 3" MANDREL BENT CATBACK WITH A FREE FLOWING STRAIGHT THROUGH DESIGN MUFFLER.

3. CUSTOM SHORT RAM INTAKE AND OR COLD AIR INTAKE.

4. CUSTOM ECU TUNE FROM IPD USA, EUROSPORTTUNING (EST), RICA.

5. Turbo upgrade, 18T,19T and or something in the bigger Garrett line up.

6. Possibly using LPT cams Guys in the 850 T5's and R's use the 850 LPT cams and have had good results with them. You could try this too with s70 LPT cams.

7.I'D ALSO SUGGEST REMOVING UNWANTED WEIGHT. FOR EVERY 100LBS LOST YOU GAIN A 10TH OF A SECOND ROUGHLY. SO FOR RACING REMOVE THE REAR SEATS AND FRONT PASSENGER SEAT, ALSO FLOOR MATS, SPEAKERS, HEADUNIT, SPARE TIRE AND GEAR, DOOR PANELS.

8.TO GO ALONG WITH NUMBER 5 IF YOU CAN FIND A CF HOOD FOR THE S70 WHICH WERE MADE BY THE WAY NOT MANY AROUND NOW THAT WILL DROP YOU ABOUT 60 POUNDS RIGHT THERE. NOW THE TRUNK LIDS I NEVER SAY MADE SO THAT WOULD BE A CUSTOM JOB.

Also lighter rims of course...

I think with these mods you'd at least be in the low 14's to upper 13's. Modding a Volvo isn't easy and it takes a lot to get them to a high performer.

FYI, I wasn't yelling at you with my CAPS. I was trying to make it stand out better.

Actually I have found the 850's to be very easy to modify compared to other cars I have owned. All of my other cars would have required much more cash to get into what an 850 could do with simple bolt-ons. I am also talking about the cost of the car, too. The ECU is the most expensive part of what I want to do. The rest I can do for relatively cheap. I can find turbos all day long. Exhaust can be done by a friend, etc.

I may make my own RIP kit if I can get the development right with my buddy