Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Poor Acceleration!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 03:46 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Poor Acceleration!!!

Hello Chrome2386,

I'm now suspecting (I'm always suspecting something, aren't I?) it may be the transmission ECU. If your mechanic's scanner/diagnostic equipment cannot access transmission ECU, visit a local auto parts shop such as AutoZone; their Actron scanner (CP9175) can access transmission ECU. But in general, if there is a fault in the transmission ECU, CEL should turn on. Or, it may be as simple as a vacuum leak from rubber hoses/plastic elbows that are known to fail over the years.

As to the transmission fluid replacement, sometimes it is not recommended to replace the fluid if the car has accumulated so many miles without fluid change. This is because the introduction of fresh fluid may dislodge gunk that was formed by the original & degraded fluid and can clog tiny hydraulic passages. In the case of your dad's Taurus, someone may have serviced it with wrong type of fluid or have over/under serviced it. 850, by the way, uses Dexron-III/Mercon.

As to the Sport/Economy modes, the only difference I know is the changed shifting point; in sport mode, the engine wants to reach higher RPM until shifting into the next gear.

I hope this gives you some hints. Moderator Tech would have solved your problem with a few sentences, but Tech is on vacation now.

In case if a hammer or a hand grenade didn't do the trick, here's the ultimate solution; see attached pics. It is Toto's high-definition toiletry system; heated seat, water injection to clean your tail pipe, and the spray pattern, water temp & pressure are adjustable to your maximum comfort. It also has sophisticated electronic control panel (doesn't have CEL or ABS warning, though[8D]). You can just throw your 850 into this son-of-a-gun potty and forget it[8D].

Sorry, I went overboard.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/64731F82A44F4639B2B973EF47A713E3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/47F4BE5B0DB64AB8AC8EE2A6D2B2F9D1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JPN - At least I have something to laugh about in this situation. Thanks for all the help so far and the pictures are really helping me get though all this haha. If this happens to be the transmission that was all along giving me this trouble, I think ill just let the car rest in peace...Also any idea how much it should run me to rebuild my trans if I sucked it up and fixed it?? Just looking for a ballpark figure so that I don't get screwed.

Thanks!!,
Chrome2386

Old 07-12-2007, 04:14 AM
JPN

Hi Chrome 2386,

I apologise for the lame joke.

Rebuilding the auto transmission on 850 isn't recommended due to cost-effectiveness (but what do I know, there may be rebuilt gearboxes on-line, etc...). So, most peoplebuy used unit either from on-line vendors or from junkyards. I am not sure as to howmuch they usually cost, my wild guess would be something between $400-$800. Other members may have better & more accurate figures than I do, I believe. But before spending that kind of money, see if the parking brakes are binding. Drive around for 10 minutes or so and touch the rear wheels to see if they are hot. Or, when your mechanic put your car up on the lift, see if all wheels turn freely; the shifter must be in "N" to check the front wheels, though. Also, before spending that kind of money on a used transmission, visit a local Volvo dealer as the one last chance to see if they can find something.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of better help.

JPN

Old 07-12-2007, 02:40 PM

JPN - the jokes get me a good laugh. I guess i'll just have to see what my mechanic says and pick it up tomorrow and take it to the dealer. I really don't expect him to have it fixed and well soooooo here goes nothing. I think im gonna start looking for a new car

Old 07-17-2007, 09:19 AM

Alright so my mechanic got just as annoyed as I am and went [sm=WTFsgign.gif] so hes taking it to the dealer for me at his expense to find out whats wrong. He pretty much feels like an *** that I haven't had my car in so long and can't figure it out anymore. Lets hope that the dealer can figure it out I sure want my car back.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

removed (off topic)

Old 07-17-2007, 03:07 PM
JPN

JPN

Old 07-17-2007, 03:39 PM

removed (off topic)

Old 07-18-2007, 01:25 AM
JPN

JPN

Old 07-19-2007, 03:07 AM
JPN

Chrome2386,

Sorry for deviating from your topic.

I too wonder what is causing the sluggish acceleration, after you checked petty much everything. Please do let us know what your mechanic & the dealer find. Or, since Moderator Tech (the top-dog of the forum) is back from vacation, you might want to ask Tech for a divine solution.

JPN

Old 07-19-2007, 05:13 AM

I don't wont to sound stupid here, iv'e gazed over the thread quickly,
no one mentioned spark plugs, leads Etc...
sounds stupid but you never Know..

good luck

v70 2.4t

Old 07-19-2007, 08:37 AM

v70 2.4t - yea plugs were taken care of back in September as part of the tune up. I'm hoping to hear back today from my mechanic/the dealer.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:40 AM

JPN - Not a problem, I'm hoping to hear back from my mechanic/the dealer today!!! If then they have no idea I'll give tech a spin at the old wheel.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:27 AM

JPN - I believe you said to check the exhaust line for blockage. Well my mechanic told me that just before taking my car over to the dealer he decided spur of the moment in a last ditch effort to take out my catalytic converter!!!! Guess what???? taking it out allowed the car to run properly but it annoyed me cause it was one of the trouble areas I mentioned maybe he take a look at [:@] His excuse was that his machine to test the cat apparently was broken and it gave him a correct reading, who knows...i can't point fingers but its been 6 weeks without my car!! and lets face it, riding around in a minivan is not fun. He wanted $950 to replace it...doesn't that seem a little steep?? I found one on ebay for a total of $190 which is a direct O.E.M. replacement. I hope it works and that he allows me to keep my arm and maybe leg when he gives me the grand total.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:30 AM

950 for a new cat? Your mechanic has to be kidding. He should not even be charging you after taking 6 weeks to find a clogged cat.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:36 PM
JPN

Hi Chrome 2386,

I am really glad that the culprit was finally found, though it took the mechanic a while to figure it out.

Yes, $950 is a joke. Even the most expensive cat at FCP Groton was $325 and it shouldn't take any more than an hour to install it, and let's say he charges $100/hour for labour, it is still less than $450; less than half he charges.

I suggestthat you forget this mechanic for good.

I'm really glad you found the cause of the problem, as I have given a wrong suggestion to another gentleman and nearly caused him heat exhaustion and I was feeling really bad.

Well done!

JPN

Old 07-23-2007, 02:03 PM

JPN, what is heat exhaustion?

Edit: I got it... tired from working in summer heat. Forgive me, it's winter here and it took me a while to understand what you meant.

Regards
Axel

Old 07-24-2007, 01:28 AM
JPN

Axel,

>Forgive me,

I shall forgive you in the name of G.W[8D].

Suggestedreading:
http://www.medicinenet.com/heat_exhaustion/article.htm

Keeping sufficient supply of cold water/sport drinkis the best preventive maintenance against heat-related symptoms.

JPN

Old 09-04-2007, 09:47 PM

Well it has been a while since I have been on here but everything worked out great!! It's running great but want to move onto a sports car so, I'm selling my car on here in the classifieds and you can also find it on cars.com
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

Old 05-27-2013, 01:21 AM

I know this thread was from wai back in the days, but i am new. Since i fixed my a/c thanks to all of you here, i decided to check the posts and see if somebody had an issue similar to mine. I have 95 5 speed non turbo, right after the winter, the car lost some of its power. What i mean by that is, when i accelerate on first and second gear, the car looses pull between 2500 and 3500 rpm, you can feel, its getting week, and once it passes the 3500, it opens really good, its like when the vtec kicks in on honda. i tried new plugs, new fuel filter, changed the air filter, also did the injector cleaning crap 3 times in a row, and i still get the same engine drag between 2500 and 3500 rpm. No checking light, i dont have snow, or eco buttons. Before the winter the car was flying, and now all the sudden nothing. Engine has 250K, loosing less than a quart oil between oil changes 5K miles each oil change, so its not like there is no compression. Anybody had similar issue ?

Quick Reply: Poor Acceleration!!!