Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Pulleys and Water Pump life expectancy

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulleys and Water Pump life expectancy

I figure that I should share this question with other Volvo owners that share the same engine as my 98' C70 HPT (96'-97' 850R motor) \/\/\/\/

I am concerned about the condition of my pulleys which are now showing their age by making noise when its cold out at startups until the engine warms. My car has just under 106k and the timing belt was done at 67k but I have no proof of the pulleys or water pump being done. How much longer do you think I have before my pulleys give out? I heard that our water pumps usually hold up until the next scheduled belt service but I worry about the pulleys. My gf's pulleys gave out on her last weekend while on a road trip to the Baltimore inner harbor leaving her stranded on the side of the highway in her 01' BMW 325ci with 106k. Should I go for an early timing belt service just to get the pulleys and water pump out of the way, or can I hold off for another 20k? I dont put alot of miles on my car (maybe 10k annual).

Old 08-23-2012, 12:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got all the pulleys and timing belt replaced 1.5 years ago, 110K.

Last month, my water pump started to squeak and leak. Replaced that earlier this month @ 120+K.

If you're hearing noise at the passenger side of the engine, you might as well replace the old parts. I had a light squeak in which I thought was a random accessory pulley, but that turned out to be the water pump..

We really can't say how much longer you have until those parts fail, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 AM

I've seen these OEM pumps go for 190-200k miles. Same with the rollers/ hydraulic tensioners.
There's a lot of concern on the internet about "early" replacement, and understandibly so since these are interFEARance engines.

The parts you mentioned are very hardy, but for peace of mind, go ahead and do it.
BTW, contrary to internet folklore, its usually bearing failure or tensioner failure that throws T belts on these cars; not the belt itself.
If your belt fails, you'll be more than stranded; you'll need a new top end for your motor-
Good luck, just make sure it's done right, and use the highest quality parts you can afford (i.e. Volvo OE).

Old 08-23-2012, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the input. I was looking to see when other guys have been replacing theirs. I will be getting it all done soon just for peace of mind. I would never forgive myself for putting it off if it were to fail..

Old 08-24-2012, 03:28 AM

I had pretty much the same concerns when I bought my '95. Odo read 161,XXX miles but was broke and no info on how long it had been that way. Previous owner didn't have a maint history so I just replaced the timing belt, water pump and tensioner and rollers plus the serpentine belt. Not a bad job. I did it for peace of mind and so I wouldn't have to buy a new engine if the belt broke.

Last edited by twiin64; 08-24-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:37 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Heed the warnings... The roller is screaming at you, I'm about to cost you $5,000, I can't take it anymore... Please help, I don't want to send this car to the bone yard but I'm all used up...

I wouldn't start the car again if I didn't have to. A trashed head is simply not worth the risk.

DO IT OR HAVE IT DONE TODAY!!!

Old 08-24-2012, 08:02 AM

I didn't see the part about the bearing noise.
You might wanna jump on it in that case.
INA or Rouville rollers and AISIN tensioners.
Hepu or AISIN WP's are the only way to go!

Old 08-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is why I replace the water pump EVERY time I do a timing belt on my own vehicle and always recommend it to customers. It's also why I use the best quality water pump too. They may be good for 200K in someones opinion but you may have the one that will barely make 70K. It's also a matter of not wanting to go in there and mess with that belt any more than I need to. That's just me.

It's cheap insurance. My 850 had no maintenance history and for it's condition when I purchased it I'm pretty sure there wasn't any history !! First thing I did was the belt, WP, pulleys, serp belt and timing belt tensioner. I'll likely skip the idler and tensioner pulleys and the hydraulic tensioner on the next belt but I would do them every other.

The cost of a water pump is nothing compared to the engine. If you only damage the head you're lucky as the missing valves in the picture did a number on the pistons and cylinder walls. Belt breaks at idle, maybe just a bent valve or two. Foot in it at higher Rs ... see picture

Attached Thumbnails Pulleys and Water Pump life expectancy-bent-vlaves-totalled-head.jpg   Pulleys and Water Pump life expectancy-bent-intake-vlaves.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 08-24-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
This is why I replace the water pump EVERY time I do a timing belt on my own vehicle and always recommend it to customers. It's also why I use the best quality water pump too. They may be good for 200K in someones opinion but you may have the one that will barely make 70K. It's also a matter of not wanting to go in there and mess with that belt any more than I need to. That's just me.

It's cheap insurance. My 850 had no maintenance history and for it's condition when I purchased it I'm pretty sure there wasn't any history !! First thing I did was the belt, WP, pulleys, serp belt and timing belt tensioner. I'll likely skip the idler and tensioner pulleys and the hydraulic tensioner on the next belt but I would do them every other.

The cost of a water pump is nothing compared to the engine. If you only damage the head you're lucky as the missing valves in the picture did a number on the pistons and cylinder walls. Belt breaks at idle, maybe just a bent valve or two. Foot in it at higher Rs ... see picture
Great minds think alike...
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...ectancy-65187/