Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Radiator Fan - The saga. Part 8

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Fan - The saga. Part 8

Yes I'm back for more.

First I thought it was my fan. Direct wiring from 12v to battery showed that the fan worked and that 12 gauge "tester" wire will melt from this connection in 2.5 seconds. lol

Then I was told it was the Relay. Replaced the relay, then tested both relays by grounding them. They both kicked on the fan either high or low speed from pin to ground.

I then stripped and cleaned all the electrical connections still no SIGNAL (ground) from ECU.
AC does not turn on the fan.

Then I created a direct ground from the frame to a switch and Thought how clever i was.
But this must be remembered and monitored. scary

When i finally did the PCV system myself I went ahead and put the new ECT sensor in and for the past few months I've had the fan wired into a circuit much like this

It's crude but effective

So today I'm sitting at the bank and it's the engine temp is starting to go past midway and I heard the alternator get the extra stress like the fan turned on. I listen and the high speed kicked on for a mere 2 seconds. I turned it on after i saw it was getting hot.

Should i rewire the 18 gauge wire between the ECU and the relay? Do i need to worry about my circuit not playing nice if those wires are replaced?

Old 12-27-2010, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went ahead and tried to rewire the relay directly into the ecu connector... I couldn't figure out how to get the connectors out of the base of the box.

It's like all the wires go in through the front but the thing doesn't have any screws that i can see anywhere. STUCK

I would like to blame this for all my problems. Running Rich, Smogging, bad gas mileage, and the obvious fact that my fan doesnt work by itself.