Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Radio Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Help!!!!

Hey guys...I disconnected the battery on my '96 850 and totally forgot about the radio lock. Anyways, I called the dealership Monday and got the code from them, however, this code isn't working. Is there a "backdoor" to get past this code or anything else I could try? The dealership insists this is the correct code for my VIN.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes if you try the wrong code more than a few times or playing with it while it's locked, the radio will completely lock itself. I think you need to turn the key on and let the car sit for a couple hours or something like that and then it goes out of that "lock" mode and you can enter the code.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:12 PM

I figured out the lock but, this code doesn't work.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:20 PM

So you've had the radio lock itself? And then did the car/key thing? If so, and it's still not working, maybe call a different dealership.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Radios that came with these cars aren't always the one currently in them and some dealerships were not real good at updating the database when they changed one out (you know, 'cause of warranty issues). You'll have to go to or call a dealership with the radio serial number and part number (you really don't need the VIN) The serial number and part number are on a sticker on the top of the radio.

Also, you can only put your code in when the display reads "code" (which it seems like you know).

Old 12-17-2009, 12:25 PM

I just called another dealership and they gave me the same code and also called the shop the previous owner took it to and they didn't have it. I think you're right Mike, I guess I'm going to have to pull the radio out to get the sn#. How hard is it to pull out the radio?

Old 12-17-2009, 01:47 PM

Just pull the radio out and throw it in the trash. Go get a new $99 Pioneer and a plastic filler compartment at Walmart and you'll have better sound and gain a nice place to store a few CD's. I did it 4.5 years ago and have no regrets. My radio didn't have a CD player though.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bobec
Just pull the radio out and throw it in the trash. Go get a new $99 Pioneer and a plastic filler compartment at Walmart and you'll have better sound and gain a nice place to store a few CD's. I did it 4.5 years ago and have no regrets. My radio didn't have a CD player though.
Not in my car! I like the look of the dash with the factory radio, they really don't sound that bad to me either.

The radios are very simple to pull. Move the shifter all the way to L, then use a coin or small screw driver to push in and pop out the tabs on either side of the radio. Pull on the tabs to remove the radio. You don't need to pull the radio all the way out, just enough to view the sticker on top.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by mhutchens
Not in my car! I like the look of the dash with the factory radio, they really don't sound that bad to me either.
Yeah, I gotta agree with you there, the factory radios look really nice in these cars, although a double din touch screen looks better.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:53 AM

I also have to agree that the factory radio looks and sounds fine, just a PITA if you disconnect the battery and don't have the code.

Looks like I will just have to pull it out and get the SN# this weekend

Thanx for all the info guys!

Old 12-18-2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by gilber33
Yeah, I gotta agree with you there, the factory radios look really nice in these cars, although a double din touch screen looks better.
More pennies to save! After I get new rubber all around I've got my eye on a Pioneer Premier double din deck with DVD player and screen. Gotta get the driving and ride right before worrying about entertainment! Or get a better paying job!