Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Rear Caliper Question (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/rear-caliper-question-34960/)

brianb 10-02-2009 03:50 PM

Rear Caliper Question

Hey guys...I'm planning on replacing the rear brakes in the next week or two. I currently have 157k on it and, in searching thru the service records from the previous owner, did not see that the rear calipers (or fronts for that matter) have ever been replaced. My question is, if the calipers aren't leaking and working fine, should I replace them?

blackbrick 10-02-2009 03:57 PM

If they look and work fine thre is no need to replace them

JPN 10-03-2009 11:06 AM

+1. Leave them alone if they're doing their jobs.

JPN

JimBee 10-03-2009 10:12 PM

rear caliper locking

I think my right rear caliper is locking after driving and shutdown, so when I start off again I feel a clunk. This morning, it almost held me from starting up, then released with a solid clunk. It was a little sticky after that locked a little while parked, released when starting up. I can see partial wear on the outside of that rotor (contact only in middle of rotor) and have purchased brake pads for both rears.

I'm planning to turn the rotor, but while I have it apart is there any specific repair I should do beyond greasing moving parts (avoiding lube on pads, of course)?

Or might the locking be ABS related?
JB

JPN 10-04-2009 09:18 AM

Turning/resurfacing the rotors on Volvos is not recommended; I would buy new rotors.

I would also replace the pad-holding spring kits (cross-shaped spring & spring retaining pins), and install half-size shims to keep squeal out. To achieve perfection, I would use either silicone or molybdenum-based grease (CV-joint grease, etc...) on moving parts (except the friction surfaces of course. Generic brake-quiet compound does not good on the rears on 850.

If there is a fault in the ABS, you should have codes stored in the ECU and the ABS light lit on the dash.

JPN

JimBee 10-04-2009 09:45 AM

Thanks, JPN, but curious, why not resurface the rotors on Volvos?

JPN 10-04-2009 09:55 AM

My pleasure:).

The reason why they should not be resurfaced is because of their minimum thickness limitations. Their minimum thickness can reach quickly if they are resurfaced. They are not as forgiving as American or Japanese makes.

I would go with Brembo (some of them come with new caliper bolts but mine didn't:(), Zimmermann or ATE, whichever OEM you like.

I would also change out the pads with OEM pads + half-size shims, and I would do both L&R brakes.

JPN

brianb 10-05-2009 03:38 PM

[quote=JPN;184834]Turning/resurfacing the rotors on Volvos is not recommended; I would buy new rotors.

Did not know that. That would explain why, in the service records, rotors were replaced on every brake job, both front and back.

Thanks for the advice guys!

vjaneczko 10-10-2009 09:33 PM

I just picked up new rear rotors and pads for my '97 850 GLT - it was $91 bucks out the door from AutoZone, so in my mind it's cheap enough to replace the parts instead of thinking of turning rotors. Once you can spin the handbrake pads out of the way, it's a ten minute job.

Taz-Hornet66 10-10-2009 09:51 PM

calipers....

depending on what climate you live in be careful, I moved to Michigan in the winter and my front old calipers got completely stuck from ice. If they are working you will be ok but if you are going to get them changed anyway just make sure the shop checks for wear and tear before putting them back together.

JPN 10-11-2009 09:14 AM

I do not recommend getting parts from Autozone or any franchise shop for Volvo, unless if it's something like light bulb, consumables (oil, ATF, etc...). Volvo's brakes are extremely choosy and you don't want to put anything but OEM rotors & pads. The extra cost is well worth it, unless you plan to keep the car for less than 6 months.

I would try FCP Groton.

JPN

cb1313 10-12-2009 06:34 AM

While you are there flush the whole brake system with the best fluid you can find. Poeple never think about the fluid when they do a brake job. Best and cheapest repair you cab do !

Cb