Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

remote works to open doors, but not close

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote works to open doors, but not close

hello there. My remote will open the doors, but not close the doors. Is the problem with some kind of relay? I have tried it with a new remote, so I don't think that it is the remote, but I can't be sure because I just bought the car, and the remote, so I don't know if the locks were working before with another remote. But, like I said, it's a new remote, so I think that it's something with the car.

Old 04-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: remote works to open doors, but not close

It is possible that a relay could be bad.Does your car have a Lock switch on the dash? Some years have one.If you are close to a dealer most parts departments have a tester to test the remote.They will do it for free.The turn on theis little box and put the remote on it.Then they push the buttons and the box beeps if there is a signal from the remote.Make sure both buttons work on the remote.
Also if you have the switch on the dash make sure it will lock and unlock from the switch.Make sure the doors are closed when you try.

Old 04-01-2005, 05:48 PM

No, I don't have a button on the dash. The only thing that I have are the little sticks (?) on the door. And, I had the remote tested, and both buttons work, which means that there is definitely something wrong with the car. Can you possibly tell me what it might be, or where to start? And, where on the car I might find the mechanism?

Old 04-01-2005, 06:01 PM

I have a similar problem. My remote doesn't work at all even though I replaced the battery and still doesn't work. Where is the relay at? Or is it the remote that I need to replace?

Old 04-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Administrator

You should have your remote checked like I stated about by the dealer.
ORIGINAL: Ocotillo

I have a similar problem. My remote doesn't work at all even though I replaced the battery and still doesn't work. Where is the relay at? Or is it the remote that I need to replace?
floyred: There is a relay under the dash on the left side of the car.Under the lower dash panel you will see a bunch of relay's.There should be one that says keyless entry or lock and alarm.Try to lock the doors with the remote and listen and find it.Make sure it is clicking both ways.

Old 04-01-2005, 10:09 PM

I just remedied my C lock problem by switching the ignition on/off (not start car) 5 times and on the fifth leave the ignition on and at the same time push a button on the remote and point it toward the red light sensor on the dash. Turn ign off then get out of car and manually lock the car. Now it works!!!

Old 04-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Ok then your remote lost its programming.Im glad you got it.

Old 04-01-2005, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the info, but I already knew the program sequence. I did try it your way by locking the car manually from the outside, but it still didn't work. I can still only open the doors, and not close them with the remote. Can anyone tell me where to start with troubleshooting the electronics, and where the module is? Would it be a relay, or the receiver? Mr. Techie, can you maybe help me with this one... don't mean to put you on the spot, or anything :-), but I could use a little bit more help.

Old 04-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: floryed

Thanks for the info, but I already knew the program sequence. I did try it your way by locking the car manually from the outside, but it still didn't work. I can still only open the doors, and not close them with the remote. Can anyone tell me where to start with troubleshooting the electronics, and where the module is? Would it be a relay, or the receiver? Mr. Techie, can you maybe help me with this one... don't mean to put you on the spot, or anything :-), but I could use a little bit more help.
Did you try what I suggested above to find the relay and check the relay?

Old 04-02-2005, 11:30 AM

Which relay, and where?

Old 04-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Under the dash on the left side of the car.It is part of the fuse box assy from under the hood.It goes into the car under the fuse box.I forget what color it should be.It will either say keyless entry or alarm or something like that.You can also hit the unlock button on your remote and listen for the click while you are under the dash.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:15 PM

Okay. I haven't checked the relay yet, but I found something else that is very interesting. Explanation: If the trunk is in the totally locked position (meaning the remote will not work with it), the remote will only open the doors, and not close the doors. Also, I don't hear the trunk motor working. And, when the trunk is in the open position, the doors will unlock and lock with the remote, but the trunk will not lock, meaning it seams that the trunk motor is not working. Is this a good assumption? What is strange is that the trunk motor was working when the trunk lid was fully openned, meaning that the trunk and the door locks were working with the remote only when the trunk lid was fully opened. However, that has stopped, and the trunk motor is not working at all. I know that it could possibly be a connection to the motor, but is there any way that I can check the motor itself?, or check the connection, so that I can eliminate the right problem... if this is even the problem? Could it still be the relay?

Old 04-02-2005, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Is the trunk in the bypass position.There is 2 positions with the key.There should be a setup so it will not lock with the remote.I think it is actually called Valet position.You can also check the wiring at the lock with a test light locking and unlocking the car with the remote.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:15 AM

When the trunk lock is put in the valet position, the remote will only open the locks. When the trunk lock is put in the position where it can be operated with the remote, or the locks, than the locks will open and close -minus the trunk. For the most part, the trunk lock doesn't seem to be working. It works sometimes when the trunk is completely open. Only then do I here the motor open and close with the door locks (when the lock is in the proper position for this operation, meaning not in the valet mode). Interestingly enough, I unpluged the trunk lock, and the door locks work perfectly, but the trunk will now only work with the key. I will check the wiring harness, and the motor. Thanks for your help. But, if you have any more comments, please, I need all the help I can get. Thanks again!!

Old 04-04-2005, 01:42 AM
Administrator

There is most likely a fault in the trunk lock motor.It is probably shorting out and back feeding causing problems.

Old 04-10-2005, 12:02 PM

Found the problem. There was a short in the wiring to the trunk. The place was at the hinge part where the wire is banded to the trunk lid hinge on the left side of the trunk. The wires likely were twisted so much that they just cracked, and created a short. There are about eight wires there, and about four of them had the plastic cracked off, or the wires were completely severed. I had to cut off the black plastic striping, and resolder the connections, and rewrap the wires. Tell me, does this type of problem happen with the door hinges also... I mean, where the wires are bent the most, is this a frequent occurrance?

Old 04-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Administrator

I haven't really ever seen that before but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.Diffrent climates have diffrent problems.

Old 04-10-2005, 12:26 PM

I live in the Chicagoland area, if that means anything. But, I really think that it may have just been the way that they originally installed the wires. When I looked at the wires, in that particular spot, they were kindof bunched up, and tightly bent, in a place where there was alot of movement of the wires, and that's not a good thing. Over time, the wires will yield to bending stresses, and fail.

Old 04-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Administrator

I live in Florida.We don't get as cold as you do.If the wire get frozen and then get opened and closed that might crack the outer sheilding.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:21 PM

"Hey Tech", Would the 5 times on and off thing also solve the problem with my alarm system not arming (no blinking l.e.d. on dash)?

Quick Reply: remote works to open doors, but not close