Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Repairs to be made - may need some repair help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairs to be made - may need some repair help

I have a couple of things I need to do to my '94 850 non-turbo. I'm used to having new vehicles with nothing wrong with them, so little projects on a car are new to me.
1) Need to reglue the headliner on the sunroof. Found a great site that leads you through step by step.
2) Need to replace little plastic clips on an upholstered door part (passenger side). Where do I get those little white clips?
3) My driver side door has this loud popping sound when I open it. Happens in two spots while opening...about 1/4 open and then about 3/4 open....and then again when it shuts. Really annoying...how do I fix this?
4) Need to replace window opener cluster. Found a working one on ebay for $15...just didn't realize that I would have to remove the whole center console.
5) Paint the rear bumper. There are some spots where the white paint has come off and it looks bad. So what's the best method to repaint just the white plastic part? Sand it some so there's something the paint can stick to and buy some all-weather plastic paint?
6) The strip that runs from the hood, over the top and to the trunk has lost 85% of the black stripping that was on it. Can I buy a replacement part or is there a way to paint it or something?

That's it for now. Eventually I'd like to put in a cd player. I can't believe that a car this decked out inside doesn't have a cd player. I guess it is a '94. Is there one of these I need to do first? I guess the door problem is the biggest concern to me because I don't want my door falling off or something.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Repairs to be made - may need some repair help

ORIGINAL: Super20

I have a couple of things I need to do to my '94 850 non-turbo. I'm used to having new vehicles with nothing wrong with them, so little projects on a car are new to me.
1) Need to reglue the headliner on the sunroof. Found a great site that leads you through step by step.

Here is another link for this:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...?p=30393#30393

2) Need to replace little plastic clips on an upholstered door part (passenger side). Where do I get those little white clips?

Somtimes you can get these clips and NAPA, but not sure. You might want to check wit the dealer.

3) My driver side door has this loud popping sound when I open it. Happens in two spots while opening...about 1/4 open and then about 3/4 open....and then again when it shuts. Really annoying...how do I fix this?

Here's a link. Very common problem:
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...howtopic=27792

4) Need to replace window opener cluster. Found a working one on ebay for $15...just didn't realize that I would have to remove the whole center console.

It's not that hard to remove the console. Here is a link on replacing the microswitch which has directions for removing the console:
http://volvospeed.com/Repair/Microswitch.php

5) Paint the rear bumper. There are some spots where the white paint has come off and it looks bad. So what's the best method to repaint just the white plastic part? Sand it some so there's something the paint can stick to and buy some all-weather plastic paint?

I painted my front spoiler on my T5R. Just sanded it down real good, primered it, painted and wet sanded it several coats. Came out great. Took a while to do it though.

6) The strip that runs from the hood, over the top and to the trunk has lost 85% of the black stripping that was on it. Can I buy a replacement part or is there a way to paint it or something?

This is very common. See if you can get the strips from a junk yard from a 98 S70. They work and don't have the peeling problem. Plus they have a lip at the edge of the window so the wiper don't throw the water in side you open driver's side window. I took the ones off my 98 V70 when I put the roof rack on and then used the strips on my 97. Had to cut the back off since they came from a wagon though.

That's it for now. Eventually I'd like to put in a cd player. I can't believe that a car this decked out inside doesn't have a cd player. I guess it is a '94. Is there one of these I need to do first? I guess the door problem is the biggest concern to me because I don't want my door falling off or something.

Not many of the 94's had a CD player. I put one in the glove box of the 94 I had.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:34 PM

Very cool. Thanks for the help. Time to get started!

Old 06-12-2007, 12:48 AM

Replaced the power window cluster today. Very easy fix. Thanks for the link.
A couple other repairs that I discovered today that need to be done:
1) Adjustable steering doesn't adjust much and doesn't stay up all the way. The lever is locked into place, but the steering wheel just falls down about 1" from the upper most position.
2) I noticed while taking out the center console, that in my center armrest (if you can even call it that) there is a light. That particular light doesn't light up. Nor does my cigarette lighter light. Would this be a fuse problem if all my other lights work or could these be burnt out? If they are burnt out, where do I find those?
3) I NEED CUP HOLDERS! Any ideas? I got one of those things that wedge in between the seat and console for about $4, but doesn't seem very sturdy. Any bright ideas out there?

Old 06-12-2007, 10:30 AM

2) I noticed while taking out the center console, that in my center armrest (if you can even call it that) there is a light. That particular light doesn't light up. Nor does my cigarette lighter light. Would this be a fuse problem if all my other lights work or could these be burnt out? If they are burnt out, where do I find those?
3) I NEED CUP HOLDERS! Any ideas? I got one of those things that wedge in between the seat and console for about $4, but doesn't seem very sturdy. Any bright ideas out there?
Your bulbs are most likely burnt out. Someone probably can get you the part number, but they're LED lights that you can get from radioshack.

Cupholders? The stock ones are absolute crap so I would not recommend you waste money and get those again. They are placed awkwardly (over the window switches), and they're SMALL!! I can only get 20oz drinks....Any more, and it doesn't fit. And if I get a small drink, the cup moves around... [:@][:@]

Old 06-12-2007, 09:36 PM

That really sucks about no cupholders. Of all the options NOT to add to a car...cupholders should be the most important. With these new 42oz drinks for $.89 at McD's..the crotch gets kind of cold.
Got the sunroof headliner taken care of today thanks to the very imformative link provided above. It said it takes about an hour...I think it took me about 30 minutes. Very easy repair. I'll keep plugging away at these easy repairs.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Thermos brand cup that fits between the seat and the parking brake. It holds about 16 oz. Then I carry a thermos that holds 32 more oz. I just fill up the cup from the thermos when the cup get empty. I like the cup where I said better than the flimsy cup holders.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:34 PM

Replaced the power window cluster today. Very easy fix. Thanks for the link.
A couple other repairs that I discovered today that need to be done:
1) Adjustable steering doesn't adjust much and doesn't stay up all the way. The lever is locked into place, but the steering wheel just falls down about 1" from the upper most position.
Since I was actually working on my car today, I tested my adjustable steering. Mine only drops maybe 2 inches as a large estimate. It's not a drastic drop if you want to adjust it...

I don't know how much of a drop you're expecting but 1 inch is short, but it's not a huge adjustment range either...

Edit: Cheap cupholder..
http://auctions.volvospeed.com/aucti...der&id=829

Old 06-24-2007, 09:13 AM

they sell cup holder at wallmart that hook into the golve box door and hang from it, thats what i use and haven't had a problem with them