Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Scan-tech Aftermarket parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scan-tech Aftermarket parts?

Has anyone heard of or dealt with them before? Thinking of buying a exhaust manifold and I was wondering would they be a good choice?

http://www.scantechproducts.com/

Thanks

Old 11-13-2008, 02:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Scan-tech Aftermarket parts?

I think general consencus is that scantech are not the best.
From personal experience, they do seem a little 'cheaply' made.
For important parts (belts/mounts etc) I'd stick to genuine for peace of mind.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exhaust manifolds donĀ“t have moving parts, but they do have to tolerate high temps. How much is the price difference versus a used Volvo manifold?

Old 11-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Scan Tech is usually really crappy parts. They do have a few things that are good.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I was always tqaught that if you do not have anything good to say about someone, then keep quiet. So....I'm keeping quiet

Old 11-13-2008, 01:59 PM

haha I found it yesterday and I wasn't sure! =P

well volvo quoted me 550 + 30 for bolts and i think i need a new gasket
while i saw a seller for scan-tech at 255 + 80 for shipping...includes bolts & gasket.

The thing is it looks different than the one volvo showed me, however all volvo had on them was a 97 model(which may fit :S as i am told) but I have a 96 GLE

Old 11-13-2008, 02:21 PM

what would be a good aftermarket company for manifolds? I looked on the site on the forum the few i checked don't carry those...

Old 11-13-2008, 02:39 PM

Don't know if anyone does make one.
I'd check out wreckers first.

edit; I'm assuming the original is need of replacement ?

Old 11-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-850/Perf...p-72-143-1855/has the new "R" manifold but they want like $500 just for the manifold.
Go to a junkyard and see if they have an 04-07 "R" and take the manifold.
VIVA Preformance also sells the neW "R" manifolds.
Check out this link for a bunch of aftermarket sites: https://volvoforums.com/m_38606/tm.htm

Edit: only assuming you are turbo'd.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:28 PM

ebay has some... + they have some "R" manifolds..

Old 11-13-2008, 06:00 PM

I think I ended up with a tensioner from them, I can't remember the name it had on it but I'm pretty sure it was scan tech. FCP sold it to me in their kit. I almost shipped it back for the OEM one but then the whole debacle with the bad tensioner pulley developed and I just gave up. I suspect it will last for awhile, I plan on replacing it with the volvo aisin branded one at the 70k timing belt change if the transmission holds up that long. So far its doing OK.

Also when the indy mechanic replaced my belt it seems a little "loose" on the right side, from the crankshaft up to the intake cam. I can push on it and have it move 1/2" or more, isn't it supposed to be tight? I think he just lined up the cam shafts and put the belt on that way instead of moving the cams slightly to take up the slack. thoughts???

He's probably done a ton of them so I would assume he'd know if it was done right so I hate to question his work, he is a great guy that seems to know a lot about these cars.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:12 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The T-belt should be taut. If not, I would suspect the hydraulic tensioner cylinder; the tiny cylinder that exertsmuch force onto the tensioner pulley (force that was strong enough to bend one of my Allen keys). See what Tech has to say on this.

JPN

Old 11-13-2008, 07:34 PM

It would be tough to be tensioning on the right side though because the teeth from the belt hit the crankshaft and roll into the camshaft, there isnt any tensioning going on on the right side of the equation I dont think.

Should I be able to push the belt and move it a bit on the other side by the water pump? It moves slightly even with the tensioner in place, however some slight movement would be normal I would think. But it is taught. It definitely is tensioning, when I pulled the pin I heard a big "thud" and the tension immediately picked up.

I should probably take a video of it and post it on you tube to show you guys, this is the last thing I want to worry about, I just want it to be over with [sm=smiley19.gif]! Thats why I had an indy just finish it. Although taking it apart now with the right tools shouldnt take me too long.

Id have to think (hope) that a new tensioner is better than my 13 year old 145,000 mile old one thought.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:39 PM
JPN

I see, in that case it is probably of no concerns but I would still see what Tech says. I no longer have the 850 so I cannotcheck it myself.

BTW, I once used the rear brake pad retaining spring kit by Scab-tech and that was one of the few items that they did not screw up. I was happy with the kit.

JPN

Old 11-13-2008, 07:40 PM

Thanks JPN haha I want to ask what airline are you wrenching for?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:46 PM
JPN

I work for one that has red tail whose HQ is in Minneapolis.....

...the next thing I knew, the red tail airliner is nowthe triangle airliner[8D].

As to the original topic, I would say it is safe to stay away from Scan-tech as much as we can.

JPN

Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

What you explain sounds about right. You will have a slight bit of slack. If it was to much it would have jumped time already.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:54 PM

Thanks tech my indy is good I do trust him but the old saying "trust but verify" . What about scantech tensioner? Have you had any experience? I agree with staying away I'm kicking myself for not sending it back to FCP and just having the mechanic buy all new OEM parts. Live and learn. I will probably swap it out in the next year or so for piece of mind, the wife needs to get a job first though her jetta is a POS and the rings are gone at 112k. I'm looking for a lower mileage S70 or something for her.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:55 PM

ORIGINAL: JPN

I work for one that has red tail whose HQ is in Minneapolis.....

...next thing I knew, the red tail airliner is now a triangle airliner[8D].

As to the original topic, I would say it is safe to stay away from Scan-tech as much as we can.

JPN
Somehow I knew it was the red tail I think the new merger will make it a strong airline, as strong as an airline can be. I work for a US Air express carrier in the states.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:51 PM

The one, and only one, ScanTech part that has worked out for me is the rear delta arm end links - they have been flawless for around 60k miles. The rear trunk struts have groaned from day one and the door check is falling apart again after 6 months. I did buy 3 wiper arms for the fleet that turned out to be ScanTech and they have worked great - for 10 days and counting - so the jury is still out. I know better than to buy ScanTech for suspension or steering parts just by reputation so I never wasted my money on them. For timing components even OEM suppliers aren'ta sure bet. FCP got a whole batch of bad tensioner rollers from INA that either seize up to the block when torqued down and/orcause the belt to track about 1/4" off of the front of the camshaft pulleys.

After much grumbling Nick finally cleared the warehouse of the bad lots so I think they are safe. I put one on a couple of weeks ago from FCP and it was perfect.

FCP recently started marketing a lot of parts from an aftermarket company called URO. I have a motor mount and a couple of PCV kits that were all URO parts and everything has worked very well thus far.

...Lee

Quick Reply: Scan-tech Aftermarket parts?