Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Seafoam Treatment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam Treatment?

Like I said on my other thread, I'm a noob so bear with me on some basic questions.

I bought an 850 on Friday with an undisclosed amount of miles (odometer cut off at 140k) and want to flush out the engine with a Seafoam Treatment. My question is this: would the Seafoam be good for an engine this old (probably has between 200k-250k miles), or would it likely break up the seals?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Former Sponsor

It would be very good for the engine of that age, just don't put it in the engine oil. It could clean the crank case so well that it cause the old seals to leak. If you run it in the gas and the intake manifold, that would be fine.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:23 PM

That's exactly what I was looking for, FCP.

And thanks twice over. I'm actually ordering some parts off your website right now that are half the price of the AutoZone and are OEM.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:03 PM

I've never Seafoamed before but from looking up information on it it looks like my car could use something like that.

I have a 1996 Vovlo 850 with over 240,000+ miles. How should I go about Seafoaming?

Old 01-12-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dah_jOkA
I've never Seafoamed before but from looking up information on it it looks like my car could use something like that.

I have a 1996 Vovlo 850 with over 240,000+ miles. How should I go about Seafoaming?
There are three ways that Seafoam cleans up your car. The two that FCPGroton recommended on mine are probably the quickest and easiest.

1. Just buy a small can (1 pint) and pour 1/3 of the can in your tank the next fill-up. Cleans out your fuel line, fuel injectors, etc. Might need a new fuel filter after this, though.

2. Disconnect your brake booster vacuum hose and pour 1/3 of the can in there, little at a time. Let it run for a few minutes. This should clean out any carbon deposits.

------------------------------
3. (This one might take some deposits out of your seals on a car that old and your seals will start to leak...was what FCPGroton was saying that I should NOT do to mine because of the age of the engine... Supposedly, though, it works great on newer cars and increases MPG) Add 1/3 of a can to your oil through the crank case. Drive it around for a bit, change the oil again, and take off. From what I understand, this will free sticky lifters, valves, etc. Will also clean out the PCV system and clear out any sludge (be careful when cleaning out sludge... don't want that stuff making it back through the engine).

Two of my best friends swear by the stuff. One bought an old Toyota 4Runner that wouldn't pass emissions inspection. A $9 can of Seafoam and five hours later, it passed. They did say that it smoked bad for a good 20 miles, though, while all the junk was being cleaned out of the engine.

Last edited by big daddy russ; 01-12-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big daddy russ
There are three ways that Seafoam cleans up your car. The two that FCPGroton recommended on mine are probably the quickest and easiest.

1. Just buy a small can (1 pint) and pour 1/3 of the can in your tank the next fill-up. Cleans out your fuel line, fuel injectors, etc. Might need a new fuel filter after this, though.

2. Disconnect your brake booster vacuum hose and pour 1/3 of the can in there, little at a time. Let it run for a few minutes. This should clean out any carbon deposits.

------------------------------
3. (This one might take some deposits out of your seals on a car that old and your seals will start to leak...was what FCPGroton was saying NOT to do) Add 1/3 of a can to your oil through the crank case. Drive it around for a bit, change the oil again, and take off. From what I understand, this will free sticky lifters, valves, etc. Will also clean out the PCV system and clear out any sludge (be careful when cleaning out sludge... don't want that stuff making it back through the engine).

Two of my best friends swear by the stuff. One bought an old Toyota 4Runner that wouldn't pass emissions inspection. A $9 can of Seafoam and five hours later, it passed. They did say that it smoked bad for a good 20 miles, though, while all the junk was being cleaned out of the engine.
Be careful with the Seafoam... putting it through the manifold is a good way to hydrolock the engine if you're not careful. I wouldn't use the brake booster hose, it's too big, use a smaller hose, hold the throttle open a bit, so it runs between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM, and suck the seafoam in VERY SLOWLY.

As for putting it through the oil... many of these cars have weak oil seals already, due to plugged PCV systems... and Seafoam will NOT clear a plugged PCV on these cars. It works... kind of... on cars with a more conventional vacuum- operated PCV valve setup, but it won't do a thing on the complicated oil trap setup on European cars.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:59 PM

Ok after reading these last few posts I'm kind of scared to use Seafoam now lol

Big Daddy Russ, Have you Seafoamed your car yet? If so, How were your results?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:27 PM

any danger in seafoaming a turbo engine?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dah_jOkA
Ok after reading these last few posts I'm kind of scared to use Seafoam now lol

Big Daddy Russ, Have you Seafoamed your car yet? If so, How were your results?
Doing it tomorrow. I'll drive it a few days and let you know how it works out for me.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Carrots
Be careful with the Seafoam... putting it through the manifold is a good way to hydrolock the engine if you're not careful. I wouldn't use the brake booster hose, it's too big, use a smaller hose, hold the throttle open a bit, so it runs between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM, and suck the seafoam in VERY SLOWLY.

As for putting it through the oil... many of these cars have weak oil seals already, due to plugged PCV systems... and Seafoam will NOT clear a plugged PCV on these cars. It works... kind of... on cars with a more conventional vacuum- operated PCV valve setup, but it won't do a thing on the complicated oil trap setup on European cars.
Good stuff to know. I'm doing it tomorrow, so it'll be good to have this info for when I do it.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by big daddy russ
Good stuff to know. I'm doing it tomorrow, so it'll be good to have this info for when I do it.
Ohh nice! Post a video! I'm still unsure of what hose to use. I could use a video tutorial ESPECIALLY for a 850.

If you don't mind that is, i'm DEF interested to see your results

Old 01-13-2010, 12:50 AM

i did this treatment on my 850 (170K miles) and I put it in 1/3 in the gas tank, intake, and crankcase....smoked like CRAZY, neighbors at the end of the cul de sac started staring at me haha....but after it was all done and the oil was changed, man, the way the engine ran was like night and day. It ran SOOOO much better

anyways, in case you don't know where to put it through for the intake, take a look at this thread:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/showth...t=22812&page=2

Go to post #17, the only one with an attached pic, and that's the intake vacuum tree, you can disconnect any of those 3 nipples being covered with the plastic cover and attach a small hose/tube to it, and let it suck up the seafoam that way

Old 01-13-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by timwu12
i did this treatment on my 850 (170K miles) and I put it in 1/3 in the gas tank, intake, and crankcase....smoked like CRAZY, neighbors at the end of the cul de sac started staring at me haha....but after it was all done and the oil was changed, man, the way the engine ran was like night and day. It ran SOOOO much better

anyways, in case you don't know where to put it through for the intake, take a look at this thread:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/showth...t=22812&page=2

Go to post #17, the only one with an attached pic, and that's the intake vacuum tree, you can disconnect any of those 3 nipples being covered with the plastic cover and attach a small hose/tube to it, and let it suck up the seafoam that way
Nice! thanks alot that really helped, I knew that I had to put it thru that tree somehow but I didn't know that I needed a hose lol.

Should I put it into my crank case too? My car is a 1996 850 with 244,000+ miles. Will putting Seafoam into my crank case damage my car?

Old 01-13-2010, 12:06 PM

with 244K miles, I wouldn't, I'd just let it do it's work in the valves and fuel injector and stuff, like everyone else has said, it might mess with your internal seals since the engine has that many miles. Or if you really want to, I guess you could add a little bit? I'm not sure haha

Old 01-13-2010, 12:25 PM

Just for clarification, I seem to be having a hard time locating my Vacuum Tree, Judging from other pictures, Do I need to take the throttle body off to access the Vacuum Tree?

Old 01-13-2010, 04:15 PM

So after a day and a half of looking up how its done, I finally managed to Seafoam my intake. Not bad, not alot of smoke as I was expecting but non the less a good amount did come out. I didn't really feel a difference driving it but we'll see what happens during the days to come.

Thanks to all those that helped out!

Old 01-13-2010, 05:49 PM

but is it good for a turbo car?

Old 01-13-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by matt01
but is it good for a turbo car?
From what I've read from various sites and forums while researching on how I should do it to my car.

Seafoam will work on ANY type of engine or car regardless of car or make, including Turbo

Old 01-13-2010, 09:34 PM

I've got 2 NA 850's - a '93 with 117k miles and a '96 with 76k miles. Should I seafoam these?

Old 01-13-2010, 11:08 PM

^yes, its never bad

Quick Reply: Seafoam Treatment?