Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Serpentine change (plumber technology) (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/serpentine-change-plumber-technology-65106/)

WGR1122 08-19-2012 04:02 PM

Serpentine change (plumber technology)

3 Attachment(s)
Like I said before I just bought this 850 SW non-turbo and I didn't realize that the compressor pulley was locked because the car ran without any problems and the serpentine belt didn't make any sound ( I don't know why) the thing is I was trying to get a short serpentine to bypass the compressor and here are the photos.
Things you need:
1. 1/8 Allen key
2. 14'' pipe wrench
3. long thin stick (can be an arrow or a coat hanger)
4. Vice grip and 3 quarters(just in case you release the tensioner and it goes all the way you cannot grab it back with the pipe wrench, that's a little trick to move it but don't go too hard because you'll bend the quarters )

The thing was that I took out the old serpentine and I don't know what I did but I unlocked the compressor ( It still doesn't work but the pulley run :)) so I returned the new one and get my money back.

I think this is a good idea just in case you are in a hurry and you don't have the right tools like me... ( this is only to take you out of trouble so you can scratch parts with those tools)

I hope you understand me 'cuz I'm not a english speaker..... Thanks!

artbar92706 08-19-2012 06:16 PM

I like the solution, however I dont inderstand what the stick and quarters are for?

Vmax 08-20-2012 09:07 AM

Thanks for posting.

I made a makeshift hanger like the one you did, now i'm off to the junkyard to test it out.

WGR1122 08-20-2012 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by artbar92706 (Post 326354)
I like the solution, however I dont inderstand what the stick and quarters are for?

The stick is to help you to set the route of the belt.

The vice grip(use a small one is easy to the limited space) and the quarters are just in case you release the tensioner without the belt, the tensioner will go all of the way and you cannot grab it with the pipe wrench to take it to the maximum, what you gonna do is put together all the quarters and grab them very strong on the right side, the left side of them will fit the square of the tensioner, you just have to pull a little bit and stop the tensioner with something to grab it better with the wrench ( remember don't go too hard or you're going to bend the quarters)

Kiss4aFrog 08-21-2012 05:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Or ... just go to ebay and drop $23 on the tool and toss it into the spare tire well. VOLVO SERPENTINE BELT TOOL 4708 | eBay

That or if you're replacing the tensioner get an aftermarket one (Gates) that uses a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar to engage/disengage it.

Vmax 08-21-2012 07:10 PM

Thanks for the ebay link, i like that tensioner tool better than the one i paid for on 8/11 and have been going back and forth with the seller volvotoolguy.

If it's not here tomorrow, im demanding a refund and getting the better tool.

WGR1122 08-22-2012 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog (Post 326518)
Or ... just go to ebay and drop $23 on the tool and toss it into the spare tire well. VOLVO SERPENTINE BELT TOOL 4708 | eBay

That or if you're replacing the tensioner get an aftermarket one (Gates) that uses a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar to engage/disengage it.

however it's easier with that special tool. By the way I'm looking forward on buying one, thanks for the link :)

Kiss4aFrog 08-22-2012 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
With the tool it's a breeze. I'm just so full of specialized tools I hate to buy another and I've done mine twice with a pry bar and both times I almost lost a finger. I broke down and got the replacement tensioner since most of the stuff on my car is original and after 250K I'm guessing the spring in that sucker is getting a little weak. That and the Gates is a sealed non serviceable unit and the Volvo unit is supposed to be serviced at 30K intervals. I'll be upgrading to a 19T soon so I figure with the faster Rs I want to make sure the belt isn't slipping :)
I just broke down and bought thin walled specialty lug sockets as I'm replacing all my lug bolts and want to keep the chrome looking good. At least they are useful for other vehicles too like my RX-7 !!

artbar92706 08-23-2012 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by WGR1122 (Post 326444)
The stick is to help you to set the route of the belt.

The vice grip(use a small one is easy to the limited space) and the quarters are just in case you release the tensioner without the belt, the tensioner will go all of the way and you cannot grab it with the pipe wrench to take it to the maximum, what you gonna do is put together all the quarters and grab them very strong on the right side, the left side of them will fit the square of the tensioner, you just have to pull a little bit and stop the tensioner with something to grab it better with the wrench ( remember don't go too hard or you're going to bend the quarters)

I see! I wish I knew this trick b4 I went and wedged in a 3/4" drive adapter, lol...