Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

shocks on a 850r

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shocks on a 850r

i need to replace my rear shocks on my 850r
ive been looking at the yellow bilstein and the kyb i just don't know how good the kyb shocks are any one have any experience with the kybs ?

Old 07-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have KYBs for the last two and half years. No problems, no complaints they seem to ride "average" for me. Not soft and they don't feel harsh either.

I bought the vehicle with a blown mount which was causing a knock in the rear no one could find. Replaced both mounts and added the KYBs and a set of sport/lowering springs. Rear suspension, very happy

Attached Thumbnails shocks on a 850r-suspension-kyb-rear-shock-1.jpg   shocks on a 850r-suspension-rear-shock-mount-new.jpg   shocks on a 850r-suspension-l-r-spring-shock-2.jpg   shocks on a 850r-rear-shock-mount-r-broken-b-2010.jpg  
Old 07-01-2013, 09:08 PM

I have the eibach lowering springs on my car already
Thanks!

Old 07-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running H&R springs with the bilsteins.....VERY happy.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:15 PM
BFR

Originally Posted by mpower916
i need to replace my rear shocks on my 850r
ive been looking at the yellow bilstein and the kyb i just don't know how good the kyb shocks are any one have any experience with the kybs ?
My 850R already has a set of yellow Bilsteins on the back at least, not sure if that's factory or not, anyone know?

In any case, I'd go with Bilstens if faced with a choice between these two brands. Not saying KYB is bad but Bilstein is the top of the line in shocks. If you're gonna spend the time and money to do the job, why not get the best parts?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

"Bilstein is the top of the line in shocks." Who exactly says that ??

Bilstein makes an excellent shock and I have a set for the front of mine but I don't remember any expert or an article that stated they were THE top of the line

The other thing is application. At the extreme end are the coil overs both for control and price $$$$. They would more likely be the "top of the line in shocks" but if you have a boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife, ... or anyone who rides with you they'd likely tell you that your shocks were shot and need replacement as they are uncomfortably stiff for most people

I'm running the Bilstein HDs in front and I'm now wishing I would have gone with the sport (softer) as I'm using this more for a daily driver and I hadn't really planned on doing that at the time.

I use the wagon for a sports car, daily driver and to haul scrap (auto parts, brake rotors) once in a while so I wish I had an option of air shocks in the rear but never found anyone who made them.

I believe most of us would be pretty well served by a good set of (inexpensive) Monroe or Gabriel with a lifetime warranty for most of our driving but I upgraded as I love to take on/off ramps at the speed I'm doing going straight down the freeway. Pity the fool behind be who doesn't see brake lights and comes in at the same speed

BUT, to drive like a fool at times I've replace control arms, links, bushings, all 4 hub assy and lowering springs. When I did struts I did the complete job, seats and bearing plate and the same in the rear with new mounts.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

l have coilovers all around and l am not looking back. paired with IPD sway endlinks, sway bars, man the ride is amazing. l have it to the hardest settings.

on the hardest settings, going through a pretty rough road like we have up here in NY, you barely feel it, but on the softest setting l do feel it. the only downside is hitting a pothole will make u fly off your seat.LOL. but besides that, there isnt a bit of lag moving from a stop light. plus l can adjust the height and spring preload. its worth every penny. got it slightly used for dead cheap plus l got an ipd strut brace for FREEEE.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog

Bilstein makes an excellent shock and I have a set for the front of mine but I don't remember any expert or an article that stated they were THE top of the line

The other thing is application. At the extreme end are the coil overs both for control and price $$$$. They would more likely be the "top of the line in shocks" but if you have a boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife, ... or anyone who rides with you they'd likely tell you that your shocks were shot and need replacement as they are uncomfortably stiff for most people

I'm running the Bilstein HDs in front and I'm now wishing I would have gone with the sport (softer) as I'm using this more for a daily driver and I hadn't really planned on doing that at the time.

I use the wagon for a sports car, daily driver and to haul scrap (auto parts, brake rotors) once in a while so I wish I had an option of air shocks in the rear but never found anyone who made them.

I believe most of us would be pretty well served by a good set of (inexpensive) Monroe or Gabriel with a lifetime warranty for most of our driving but I upgraded as I love to take on/off ramps at the speed I'm doing going straight down the freeway. Pity the fool behind be who doesn't see brake lights and comes in at the same speed

BUT, to drive like a fool at times I've replace control arms, links, bushings, all 4 hub assy and lowering springs. When I did struts I did the complete job, seats and bearing plate and the same in the rear with new mounts.
is that your new coilovers?

Old 07-02-2013, 08:54 PM
BFR

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog

I base this on experience, having used a lot of different shocks in different cars, including some cars I autocrossed. They just seem to be the best compromise in terms of ride quality and handling. I'm talking replacement shocks and struts here, not expensive coilover set ups. For example, I replaced the original Boge shocks on an E36 M3 with a set of Bilsteins when they didn't have too many miles on them and it made a huge difference for the better, without much sacrifice in ride quality, if any.

You're probably right in that the average driver wouldn't notice much difference between a set of Monroes and Bilsteins in an older car. How "good" the shock will be will depend on the condition of the suspension components and springs. Springs are hugely important. You're only going to get so much benefit out of a new set of Bilsteins with 160,000 mile stock springs, LOL!

To replace all of the suspension wear items and run proper springs (like Eibach) can add up in a big hurry! But it's not a bad idea to do if you want maximum performance.