Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Smoking dipstick, How to clean the ptc?

Old 01-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking dipstick, How to clean the ptc?

I noticed that my dipstick was smoking as I was checking my oil today. I searched for a fix around the forums and I came across somebody suggesting to clean the PTC or redo the PCV.

I don't quite have the money to redo the PCV at the moment so I figured I would take a look at the PTC valve and give it a good cleaning and see what happens.

Only problem is, I'm still new to Volvos so I have no clue where to look for the PTC valve =[

any help please?

Old 01-16-2010, 10:27 PM

heres a general idea of cleaning the pcv system
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/how-pcv-system-beginners-18639/

if you look around the helpful liknks thread you'll probalby find more helpful info.

cheers,
matt

Old 01-17-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by matt01
heres a general idea of cleaning the pcv system
https://volvoforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18639

if you look around the helpful liknks thread you'll probalby find more helpful info.

cheers,
matt
thanks alot buddy, one more question tho, how hard is it to redo the pcv? I've never done one before, Should it be something I'm able to attempt or should I let a mechanic do it?

Old 01-17-2010, 06:30 PM

honestly, for the most part its as easy as taking off bolts, (ive never done it on my car yet) disconnecting vacuum lines, and you could find on the net a pretty easy step by step guide with photos of how to do it.
i dont know your skill level in mechanics, but https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/pcv-breather-system-replacement-33970/ look through the pictures and see if thats something that you'd be conferable with doing yourself.

it'll probably be a pretty pricey if you have someone do it.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, if you have an 850 that's smoking through the dipstick, you need to change the PCV system. Cleaning the PTC alone most likely won't help- it's really only a minor part of the whole process.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

+1 Replace the PCV system. The kit cost around $110. If you don't do it, you take the risk of blowing seals in your motor, etc,. Mainly the rear main seal which adds a lot of expense to your PCV replacement.

I like to tinker and I'm a real slow worker. I did it on my car in about 6 hours, start to finish. If you get the kit form FCP you need to go to NAPA and purchase that funny hose clamp crimping tool for about $35. If you get the kit from iPd you don't need the tool. Either way it's a lot cheeper than paying a mechanic to do it. I would say that anyone that is able to replace a faucet on a sink should be able to handle this. TRY NOT TO DROP BOLTS AND TOOLS, they are hard to find.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:42 AM

So basically the one on IPD not only has the parts that I need but its also cheaper, just my luck its out of stock.

Well thanks guys! much appreciated! I'm going to attempt the PCV replacement pretty soon in the near future, pray that my car still runs.

Once again thanks!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:40 AM

One more question, since I'm already going to be taking apart the PCV, I figured it would be a good time to check the timing belt correct?

I know that the timing belt is important to a car and it should be replaced every 50,000 miles or so, sadly I have no clue where to look for it and how to see if it is in need of replacement or not.

Again sorry for such a question, I'm not quite the mechanic but I am slowly figuring everything out tho

Old 01-18-2010, 11:46 AM

My answer to this is that if you are concerned about the timing belt and you want to inspect it, but you have no Idea when it was last done then go ahead and change it. Look at it as added insurance. I believe Volvo rec. every 70k on the T-belt and while there also do the tensioner. Something that is of discussion is do you do the water pump since you are already there. Personally I do, since you have to take everything off to get to the T-belt. Either way, good luck!

Old 01-18-2010, 12:16 PM

thanks alot buddy, I'm gonna look at my car, might as well change more than the PCV and Timing belt since I'm there, looks like the last owner of my car didn't really take good care of it

Old 01-22-2010, 01:20 AM

I just did both pcv system and timing belt with water pump....
I am a noob to volvo too and replacing pcv system was PIA. Basically it's just unbolt bolts and disconnect hoses, but you have to remove lots of parts and some of them are kind of hard to reach.
I also took long time to do this job, because I kept dropping a bolt for manifold and I had to remove the manifold, and put it back....I did it 4 times because of a damn bolts kept falling under the manifold....
If you don't have money right now, try to clean the PTC system first and see whether the smoke comes out from the dipstick tube. Sometimes just cleaning the PTC valve fixes the blowing smoke problems.
Anyway, if I can do it, you can do it.
Timing belt job was easier than replacing entire pcv system.

Good luck.