Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

So I took apart my PNP today to try to clean it

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I took apart my PNP today to try to clean it

Well, like the subject says I took it apart and cleaned all the gunked up dielectric grease which was quite dirty, maybe carbon and dirt getting through though it seemed to be decently sealed. I got it open and pulled out the arm that has 3 copper contacts that rake across the pnp body and its various contacts. I am attaching some photos. I don't expect it to work, I have planned to buy a new one but thought I would give it a shot. My only problem with it thus far was no reverse lights. I did have the check engine and up arrow flash one time and racheted it and it disappeared but my reverse lights were still missing. I took the springs that press against the arm contacts out and stretched them ever so slightly to put some more pressure on the contacts. I lightly sanded the surfaces and recoated it lightly in fresh dielectric grease.

I don't have the car together yet from the engine and transmission removal so it will be a week or so before I can test it. I guess I could reattach it and hook the battery up and see what I have for reverse lights. No cooling hoses, intake, etc. installed yet. Had pneumonia for 4 weeks now and it has knocked me on my butt.

I will keep you guys up to date on what I learn from it. I planned to order a new one anyway so worst case, I have to order a new one.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1785/81BA1421E1E7451AB539308F0F963AD9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1785/17F9D53984E14AD382EF056A4597936A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1785/C1F631D477AE43ED8EF075A384035A57.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1785/91D300783CA4498E878582CAC947A629.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: So I took apart my PNP today to try to clean it

Congrats on cleaning it.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:58 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Well done Rob!

Will wait for your update!

JPN

Old 08-18-2007, 10:52 PM

Hey Tech and JPN.
Thanks for the diagram, got it so feel free to remove. It is a long shot on cleaning but I was dying to know what this elusive switch was made up of. Chances are good I will have to order a new one but now I have pictures and know what is in there. Tech, any chance I will harm anything if I install the PNP and hook the battery up to look for reverse lights. Just putting the ignition to pos II with no attempt to start, there are no other items connected. I don't see what it could hurt since I will pull the battery afterwards to finish installing all my other stuff.

Thanks guys,

Old 08-19-2007, 05:24 AM

Hi Rob, Tech, and Kanji,

Rob, excellent job. The pictures are very good. If you have a voltmeter
you can use the ohmmeter function to test and fine tune the contacts
before you put the switch back in.
I couldn't see the wiper contacts too well in the second picture but
from what I can see everything looks good. If you need to clean
switch contacts a rubber pencil eraser works well and will usually
not wear through plating on plated contacts. (After cleaning all
grease off, of course).
I have heard of others cleaning these switches successfully so I
think you have a good chance of success.

Tech your car is looking good.
Kanji I hope things turn around for you.

Best wishes, John

Old 08-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The only thing about connecting and check the switch for reverse lights is make sure you unplug the fuel pump or find the proper fuel pump fuse.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:03 AM

John,
thanks for the tip on the eraser. I forgot all about it or did not think to use it on the car contacts. I have revived many a computer video card that failed and pc memory by removing and cleaning the contacts with pencil eraser. Should have thought about the same with the PNP.

Tech, thanks for the heads up on the fuel pump. I would have forgotten that for sure and my fuel line is just hanging above the engine disconnected. Wonder what kind of launch I would get on that as far as shooting gas across the garage?

Thanks again guys, keep you posted as I progress.

Rob

Old 08-19-2007, 04:16 PM

Nice job. The problem w/ the PNP usually is just dirty contacts correct?

Old 08-19-2007, 10:57 PM

From what I understand that is generally the first problem, the dirty contacts. That is often why ratcheting the shifter from P to L 20 times or so will temporarily rejuvenate the PNP. Hopefully my little cleaning and recovering in dielectric will save a $100 or so.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:54 PM

So how did it work out?? =)

Old 08-24-2007, 10:51 AM

Hey,
I have not had a chance to put it back in yet. I am on my 4th or 5th week with some kind of atypical pneumonia bug (leave it to me to get pneumonia in the f'in summer)[>:]. I am going to try to charge my battery up and put it in this weekend and test it out. Tech said to pull the fuse for the fuel pump so I have to track that down. I will follow up Sunday night and let you guys know if it was a success. I am going to be thrilled if it works properly.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:34 AM
JPN

Hi Rob,

I'll be anxiously waiting for the results too.

JPN

Old 08-24-2007, 12:15 PM

JPN,
I am excited about finding out the results myself. Sure would be great if the fix was that simple. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am on the fence about trying to round up an alignment tool or just ballpark it and shift to reverse and move it till the reverse lights are on. Matter of fact, I am going to bend over now and call the dealer to check on the tool. [:@] Since the reverse lights were the sign it was messed up if I don't have the tool I cannot be sure I fixed it. I am not sure how precise the adjustment has to be. Could not hurt to call and find out.

Ughh, just realized the dealer is in Bristol which is where the NASCAR race is this weekend. Traffic is a nightmare and a half all week.
After 15 minutes on the phone with the dealerbeing bounced from parts to service and back to parts they have ordered the tool for a grand total of $16.14 Won't be here till thursday so I will try to get it set this weekend by hand. For that price I figured it would be worth it to have on hand. Sooooo, in closing, I will try it this weekend by hand and let you all know how it goes and worst case wait till Thursday if no reverse lights this weekend to verify the switch is shot with the alignment tool. Wish me luck,,,

Old 08-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You might try Autozone, it looks like they are right in your town and showa clutch alignment tool, but there are three different sizes.
Here's a link to the three choices - http://www.autozone.com/Ntt,clutch%2...9E3EA28DFA65F1

Btw, I started looking because you mentioned Bristol. How do you like that area; my brother just moved there about a year ago. He was in Abingdon and then just moved down into Bristol. He likes it a lot. From my visits (and passes through), it seems likereal nice terrain, it makes for a scenic drive.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:43 PM

Actually, this is a whole different animal for alignment tool. I am attaching a photo of the tool on the pnp switch already that I got off volvospeed. It is for automatic transmissions. I wish mine was a stick.

I am in Johnson City but work in Kingsport. I like the area and it is nice as far as outdoor activities and places to drive and all. Abingdon is a really nice small town enviroment. Bristol is nice too, I was born there but moved away at the age of 3. Bristol is crazy during the two races each year. Usually from the Sunday before the race all through the week and up till Tuesday after the race it is awful because you have all these RV's all over the interstate. Monday mornings are cool for me cause going to work I pass them coming the other way on I-26.

As for the area though, it is nice. I grew up in SC so the cooler temps are nice. Does you brother drive Volvo's too?

[IMG]local://upfiles/1785/F39532ADE8544D8D8100B1120449D660.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-24-2007, 04:01 PM

Oh well, I wasn't sure what the alignment tool was that you'd mentioned, but I figured I'd poke around a bit (bored at work again).

My brother doesn't drive Volvos. I can't even remember what he's driving right now - pretty vanilla (vanilla as in plain, not coloring) sedans. I do agree that the temps seem nice there. We were raised primarily in CT so we both appreciate the little snow we get in the South, but his climate is a bit cooler than my region of Alabama during the hotter portions of the year (as in right now, when it's been 100+ for a couple of weeks).

Old 08-24-2007, 04:14 PM

Oh well, I wasn't sure what the alignment tool was that you'd mentioned, but I figured I'd poke around a bit (bored at work again).

Man, I hear you with the bored at work. I am the opposite of you though with regard to the weather, I would like to be somewhere where I see much more snow. We get a few dustings a year here but that is generally all it is. I go out to Yellowstone every few years to snowmobile and I love the way the entire place is just blanketed. I have pictures of the library in Yellowstone with a snowdrift up to the roofline. It may get old after a month or so, but it sure is fun for a week. The women are a little weathered, not much moisture in Montana. My apologies to anyone living in Montana who is married. [&o] When it is that cold there is not much need I guess for anything other than utilitarian clothes and such. Mornings were -20 last time I was there.

I appreciate the link on the alignment tool. This one is a bit different. I miss having a 5 speed with a clutch. If I find this tool works okay I should start a loaner program with it somehow. For $16 though by the time someone paid shipping they could have their own. I hope the part number listed for a 95 in the factory manual works for a 97? Oops, just thought about that. I think they are the same switch from 94-97 so I should be safe. [&:]

Ask you brother about the record breaking heat the last 2 days here. Not 100+ like Bama but pretty warm for this area.

Thanks again

Old 08-24-2007, 08:19 PM
JPN

Hi Rob,

Of course, winter without snow is a crime, as far as I'm concerned. How could one spend winter without snow, missing the night time scenery, domestic-spying on people's houses to inspect their trees, evaluate their decorations, pulling on the parking brake to make a sharp turn, etc....

Please do show us the photo of the special alignment tool when it arrives. It's good that your dealer is doing this. When I asked for some special tools at a dealer in Schaumburg, IL, they said no. Don't they want to make money[8D]?

Record breaking heat is here in Japan too. 1/3 of my paycheck will go to the electric bill (A/C) for the month.

JPN

Old 08-24-2007, 09:19 PM

Hey JPN,
I will keep you posted. Hope that AC bill goes down soon. My house is about 70 years old bought as a house to remodel. Unfortunetaly the more I took apart to redo the more I found wrong. Expensive to say the least. No central a/c. Window units, about as good as a block of ice in front of a fan sometimes. Might pick up a big 220 volt unit tomorrow for $125. Luckily there is hot water radiators for the heat in the winter but the natural gas bill often runs $800 a month in January and February. Finally signed up for budget billing from the gas company. They average the year and split it up over 12 months so you have a constant set amount due each month. Got that puppy down to a still ridiculous $220 a month. That helps thougha lot on a Teachers salary and my computer tech and networking salary. Lets me spread the cost out. [&:]

The 180 degree emergency brake turns in parking lots are what I miss most from the lack of snow. Bunch of buddies got together in a church parking lot one friday night after about a 5 inch snow. I had an RX-7 turbo and was single at the time and we had more fun than should be legally allowed. The police came by after about an hour and told us to be out when they came back through in45 minutes and gave us a smile. We stayed another40 minutes playing. Nice of them to give us an ETA. Where better to learn skid control though than a parking lot that is empty unless you sign up for a winter driving course in Vermont. Guy named John Paul Luc used to do one in Killington, VT that looked cool but was closed when I was there. Lake was thawing too much. Had a cool course with snow banks and figure 8's set up using Mitsu eclipes both front wheel drive and all wheel drive I think or something with all wheel. I was bummed for days hearing it was closed. Now that I am older I have a Ford Exploder in my vehicle lineup for the wife. Her winter driving skills are umm, in need of all the help she can get. One of those that thinks that if you can go fast in snow using 4 wheel drive you are fine. It escapes her that 4 wheel drive does nothing to help slow you down. Gotta stop like all the other cars. And the pulsating of the pedal freaks her out when ABS kicks in the few times I have tried to teach her to drive in snow. Just force it down and steer honey!!

I will photo that tool the minute I get home with it. Hopefully I will have luck with trying to tune it myself.
Hey, any word on what caused that fire on that 737 the other day? I heard a fuel leak maybe and once the engine shut down the thrust that was blowing the fuel back and away was gone so it dripped on the hot section. Didn't know if you guys hear about things like that, water cooler talk. My next favorite passion is aviation.

I will keep you all up to date on my repair technique as soon as I can test it. Maybe as early as tomorrow.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:51 PM

Window units are definitely not sufficient for most rooms/houses, but feel blessed that you didn't have to build this for yourself! http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/%7Egmilb.../geoff_ac.html

On the other topic - you sound like mine twin. As I've mentioned on here in the past, my commuter car is a 99 Mitsu Eclipse that I bought new. Back in CT, I spent many a night spinning donuts in an elementary school parking lot after getting out of working 2nd shift at the local factory. That was by far the best part of the snowy days. We got stopped one time as we were leaving the parking lot by a police officer who asked what we were doing on school property after hours (2AM). I told him that my driver's ed teacher taught us that we should pull up the e-brake in an empty parking lot after it snows to learn how to drive in a skid. The cop said he'd believe that if we'd gone around once or twice, but he'd been watching for 45 minutes. Luckily he let us go but he said he never wanted to catch us out there again. Earlier when I was too young to drive legally I used to go with my brother and one of his good friends to a church parking lot in a Chevy Sprint. The only problem was that it wasa pretty steep downhill into the parking lot, so it was a bit tricky getting out sometimes. But I do remember fondly the fun that was had...

The other parallel is an interest in aviation. I have an aerospace engineering degree and have always been interested in flying and space. My dream job would be to go work for the Moller Corporation and help design a flying car (www.moller.com). The one goal that I haven't had money or time to pursue is getting a pilot's license. Maybe in about 25 years after all of my kid(s) finish college... Anyway, I'd better get to bed. One more thing, Killington has a ski resort right and is located in southern Vermont, right? A bunch of rich kids from school used to go skiing up there. I got to go twice, but we went somewhere farther north on the border of NH about midway up... can't remember the name right now. And I've hiked a bunch of the White Mountains with my dad. Nice area - I just hate shoveling snow so much. I like our current arrangement, we visit our parents (my in-laws and mom are still in CT) for about a week or two during the holidays. That's plenty of snow for me.

Quick Reply: So I took apart my PNP today to try to clean it