Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Speedo Cluster and Glove Box Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo Cluster and Glove Box Problems

I finally got the stones to get into my dash and check on my odometer... A couple of items that were a little more difficult than I had imagined and I now need some help...

1. I need a good source for speedo cluster gauge bulbs. Not the big ones... just the little ones. These seem to be the bulb and the black fitting all together?

2. My trip computer/digital mileage/clock... (the speedo LCD) now has all lights on, says DISC, and my "info" **** does not change any of the information on the LCD. My clock DOES work, but other items do not. Should I disconnect the battery and see if it resets. I did unplug the unit from the board on the back of the cluster when I replaced the bulbs. Also, does anyone have an alternative souce for a replacement part or have one for sale?

3. My glove box does not want to seem to fit back in and latch.... without the box, it will latch. The back of the felt box insert itself seems to be the problem. Do I need to replace the insert? If so, know where to get one, part number, price?

4. I have 2 tweeters in the dash that I would like to replace... any specaial considerations?

5. I need to glue the airbag cover in the dash back on the edges... any special glue I need to protect functionality of airbag?

For anyone who cares, you would be proud that I did successfully get to the odometer and decipher the gear was stuck and needed to be replaced! Not bad for an amateur.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Speedo Cluster and Glove Box Problems

The dealer is probably the easiest place to get replacement bulbs. Shouldn't be too much I bought a few recently and didn't feel like I was ripped off like I typically do.

I'm not sure what to do about the mileage clock issue. I don't have that feature on my 850. My gut says to disconnect the battery, but wait till someone else responds.

Not sure what insert your talking about. Mine required a little "help" going back in, but it went in cleanly.

Not good with stereos or glue considering that I glued my hands together with loctite that was a fun day.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The Dealer for the bulbs.

Check connections at the switch. The center says DISC when the switch is bad or a bad connection.

Push the insert good some times it really needs help.

I think you will be fine with the Tweeters. (You might have to custom make brackets though)

With the Air bag cover good luck finding something to hold.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he has 8-speaker system, all speakers are 8 Ohms -very difficult to replace, if a 4-ohm tweeter is used in place of an 8-Ohm, you can fry the HU. I'd get OEM tweeters-the sound is very natural, no excessive highs.