Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Steering Rack Revisted (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/steering-rack-revisted-60935/)

x-angel 02-18-2012 09:58 PM

Steering Rack Revisted

Apparently the steering rack that I pulled about 6 months ago is leaking and the inner and outer tie rods are all tore to hell. Does anyone have ANY suggestions for a reputable reman supplier for a rack?

I am thinking that I might be able to rebuild the current one, but this is the wifes car, and I don't want to risk that. I think we have been living on borrowed time as it is.

I want to ground the Volvo so I can take a more intense look at this as I feel that I rushed it too fast last time. We have a backup car for her, although its a gas guzzler, its "much more gooder" than the Volvo right now.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Kiss4aFrog 02-19-2012 05:53 AM

Where are you located ?? US, Canada .... :confused:

If the rack is leaking you'll need to replace it. Have you ever rebuilt a rack before ??

x-angel 02-19-2012 07:20 AM

Sorry - I forgot to mention - I am in t3eh US - Texas - San Antonio to be exact.

No.. I have not rebuilt a rack before, but I get instruction on how to do something I can do it.

autoxray 02-19-2012 10:41 AM

I just replaced my rack in my volvo. Went with Santech. Complete kit from outer tie rod to outer tie rod. Comes with an inline filter. OEM doesn't, opted out of the filter. Might add later. At 180,000 mikes my fluid looked clean.

Must say that the time for the job that is posted in the software repair shops use quoted the job at 3 hours. Must say over the two days I spend more like 7-8 hours. Mostly becuase of two things:
1. it is a real @#$%& to get it out and back in.
2. it is real hard to reach the bolt to remove the steering coupler and then to gt it back on.

Bay 13 was correct in his write up. You don't need anything to support the rear subframe once you remove those bolts. What you need to do is raise the transmission with a floor jack. This give you the clearance to get the rack in and out.

BTW, be sure to buy those 4 subframe bolts. They are $39 from the dealer.

Also, Kiss4aFrog was correct on how to bleed the system once you get it back together. Big thing is patience and it takes a while to get all the tiny air bubbles out.

I bought mine from my mechanic friend who owns a VW repair shop. After his 20% mark up (that is ok, as we all have to make a living) I paid $260.

Good luck with your decision.

x-angel 02-20-2012 08:59 AM

@all
I have taken one out and put one in before.. I just want to get a good rack this time.

@autoxray
So are you saying you went to Santech for just the rebuild kit? The only santech I found was for A/C parts.

What did you buy from your Shop Friend, was it the rack or just the kit?

x-angel 02-20-2012 10:21 AM

@autoxray
Wait... were you talking about the SCANTECH rack?

autoxray 02-21-2012 08:51 AM

x-angel,
You are right, it is a scan tech unit. Caught a nasty cold in the midst of it all. So that is why I spelled it wrong.

Here is a URL of what is included.
1994 Volvo 850 Rack & Pinion Complete 85.0275N
http://images1.carpartsdiscount.com/...5n_850275n.jpg

Kiss4aFrog 02-22-2012 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by x-angel (Post 306815)
Sorry - I forgot to mention - I am in t3eh US - Texas - San Antonio to be exact.

No.. I have not rebuilt a rack before, but I get instruction on how to do something I can do it.

The reason I asked is I haven't seen a rebuild kit for them. They do have seal kits but I'm not very confident they would really solve a problem. Not to say re-build kits aren't out there but the problem is the rack body is aluminum and what usually goes bad is the walls of the aluminum bore wear out from the friction of the seals. The aluminum that wears out is what makes the fluid get cloudy or muddy. You'd have to bore and use something oversized or sleeve it. Not really a DIY adventure.

Since you're in the U.S. you have many options, dealer, FCP all the different parts stores, NAPA, Autozone ... at around 270 for the rack itself.

x-angel 02-22-2012 12:31 PM

I was figuring that. I finally got a little cash in. So I can at least get the rack with the inner tie-rods. I have another set of Outer Tie-Rods. I believe that the main problem has been that there seems to be a different set of OUTER tie rods on an 850 Turbo from an 850 GLT. So I guess I will get the rack with the inner tie rods: Has anyone heard anything bad about this rack?

Kiss4aFrog 02-23-2012 05:14 PM

Cardone is a pretty good name in the aftermarket. They have few comebacks. Oreilly carries a lot of their stuff in steering, braking and engine control lines.

Djuma Albiq Tafari 04-12-2012 09:54 PM

Volvo 850 t5 1997 parts

Dear Sirs

I had a accident with my VOLVO in the right-side and im looking for Parts:
- GearBox System
- Steering Wheel Air Bag
- Sway Bar(Front Wheel)

Im currently living in Mozambique & the closest place that i can search is South Africa or i can ship ...

PLEASE HELP with links,address & etc ...

Thank u

Dj

x-angel 05-14-2012 04:55 AM

After a long battle with a screwed up garage door - I will FINALLY be able to get into the garage and get this rack replaced. I understand I don't need to rush, and take my time, esp when it comes to removing the rack from the steering column.

If I remember correctly - you need to LOCK the steering wheel.. correct? Or am I wrong - I can't remember what I did last time.

matt01 05-15-2012 08:37 PM

whatever you do dont buy from a place called "carsteeringwholesale"

they claim to sell new racks, but 2 years later, the rack i bought from them is finished.

vjaneczko 06-22-2012 10:16 AM

I thought getting Scan-Tech parts was "ill advised". Am I thinking of a different company? I may be replacing my rack if the Stop Leak stuff doesn't do the job so I'm wondering how these replacement parts are working for you guys.

matt01 06-24-2012 01:12 AM

personally I would not go with scan tech, inless you feel like doing the job again.

migbro 06-24-2012 11:47 AM

rackdoctor.net is a good source for quality rebuilt steering racks.

autoxray 06-24-2012 04:10 PM

Well, I did go with Scantech do we will see. Personally I liked the quality that was visual on the outside, the tie rod ends, etc. The bleeding the system took sometime, but after that was done, I have to say the feel in the steering is like a brand new car. It also is very responsive to quick lane changes.

So I hope not to do this again.

Matt01, what is your opinion of the the time to failure if indeed it does fail?

matt01 06-24-2012 11:08 PM

my jobber, I installed in november 2010 and I did 27 000 km's with it.

Today the seal on the other side completly let go, now both are shot! Also not long ago I had to replace an inner tie rod.