Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Thank You, All

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank You, All

First of all, Id like to thank all who have helped me withmy issues in the past with The Anvil:

JPN - sounds a little home sick at times but has a Terabyte of short term memory and has a solution for what ails your Brick. Knowledge! Ya he has it,but unlikevery fewwith great power, hes willing to share.

Tech - Who is able to give you direction in troubled times. Usually his first impression is correct.(IMO) It must be hard carring such a massive brain in a mortal body.

Psaboic - Between, Aberdeen WA and Astoria OR, this is a person who can ask the questions that you should have asked yourself without making you feel like a putz. Thanks dude!

Ashout out to everyone else that has helped, and my hope is that all of you feel appreciated.

NOW, I aint no frakin rocket scientist, but I know that when you put the car in reverse it should, in fact, back the funk up.

Heres what happened, what I heard when it happened and what I did or didnt do.

Wednesday morning - 07:45hrs - Unlock The Anvil, sit down, insert key, turn it to start my Brick. I hear a buzzing sound, similar to a coil energizing (weve all heard a similar sound in just about every sci-fi movie - surprise, its real) but the engine wont turn over. This is with the key in the START position for no more than a count of three. (One thousand one. one thousand two, one thousand three)

Turned the key to the off position and then turned the key back to the ON position and The Anvil started right up. If youhave a feeling foryour Brick (you can tell just by the way the car feels on startup), well it feels like the starter is trying to draw too much power to start. It may be a poor battery as I run a power inverter to run my Acer 3100 laptop for entertainment. This is a concern but not my current seriousissue.

I let the car warm up(ish) for about three minutes, scrape the crap off the windshield, hop back in and put The Anvil in reverse and begin to, well, reverse, move about twenty feet back and I hear what sounds like something letting go, not loud or extreme but a feeling of letting go, and almost like a back tire pushed against a something, and my Brick stopped backing up.

Now before anyone asks, I havent had a chance to the check fluid or anything else for that matter as its been a crappy week and Im about to go outside and do that as well as pull codes shortly.

I though, for what ever reason, that I might have touched the shifter or that it may not have been fully engaged, but no, it was fine, well not really as the car stopped goingbackwards, but was in the proper position. Shifted to drive and moved forward a few feet and then back to reverse but the engine would revand nothing much else would happen. Back to drive, a few feet forward, back to reverse and nothing.

With the all the back (not much literally)and forthactionI got the car back to its P/spot but in doing so, with the forward/reverse thing going on, the car at one point moved forward with the shifter in the reverse position. It was at this point that I turned the car off and began the walk to work.[:@]

Of course Id like the magic solution for my issue but i live in the ral world and know tha tcrap happens and usually costs me a wackocabbage to fix so, any ideas?

Ive had different problems before, but when the car moves forward in the reverse position thenits time to ask for help, so HELP!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 09:24 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Thank You, All

>sounds a little home sick at times
I am homesick at every minute of the day.

>but has a Terabyte of short term memory
I think it is in the range of Kilobytes or just bytes. I think Tech has Terabyte, though.

As to the starting problem, I am suspecting either the solenoid within the starter or the anti-theft relay. I looked for a relay dedicated for the starter but could not find it in the manual. See attached. I traced the electrical path for normal operations with red, and used green for the solenoid.

I have a quick but effective solution for the tranny. Re-label the D & R........[8D].

It may be related to solenoid malfunction. I also looked at PNP but it is just a starter-inhibitor when the shifter is out of P or N. I know guys, I just found this page with the PNP sector unit and it had adjustment instructions so I had a little hope but I guess I sucked[8D]. Pull codes to see what the TCM has to tell you. Also, it may not hurt to pull out the dippy stick and look for metal or FOD particles. Also, what happens if you use 3& L positions?

Is the shift arrow turned on in the instrument cluster?

I leave the rest for other experts.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/B490C89F7FFB497FA33D00CD6DFC3C2C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/00FF4774E1E542A49E7BDAED7E518463.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/92047999FE0144189C4E1CC55FCBDF6B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/63C6461CFD5B454AB39C55EB64A87358.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/CFAF39812A564C8D8A5D7FC26AB41640.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-15-2008, 10:30 PM

Thanks for the input.

I went out but it was raining heavy so Ill wait until tomorrow and go through the codes and post all that I find.

This is a good car considering that I have replaced just about every major component in the last two years starting with therad, shocks, struts, brakes all around and calipers and flex lines up front, starter, steering rack and power steering lines, blower motor and anengine. Basically everything that cost lots of cash.[>:] The only thing left IS the fragin transmission.[:@]

Back in the morning with the good news. []

Later.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Quick Brick

This is a good car considering that I have replaced just about every major component in the last two years starting with therad, shocks, struts, brakes all around and calipers and flex lines up front, starter, steering rack and power steering lines, blower motor and anengine. Basically everything that cost lots of cash.[>:] The only thing left IS the fragin transmission.[:@]
Dang! That is a lot of S***, but over what period of time though?
You could of bought another 850 with what that must of cost.

Good luck with the trans.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:26 AM
JPN

Yes the Aisin-Warner unit seems a bit too fragile. I am thinking of buying the repair manual for it. It is a hefty $50 plus shipping but I want to update my knowledge.

>It must be hard caring such a massive brain in a mortal body.
Agreed. Tech can be top-notch in any type of vehicle technician, be it Volvo or aircraft. America needs people like Tech.

>this is a person who can ask the questions that you should have asked yourself without making you feel like a putz. Thanks dude!
Agreed. Psaboic is a person who makes you feel at home with much comfort. America needs people like Psaboic.

Don’t forget other great members as well, including a few new great members. America needs them too.

I don’t think Japan needs me. Heck, I don’t need them either[8D].

JPN

Old 11-16-2008, 08:53 AM

Hello TIPSP & JPN,

TIPSP - Dang! That is a lot of S***, but over what period of time though?
You could of bought another 850 with what that must of cost

Ya, youre right. But over time it doesnt hurt [:@]as much. But in the last year or so Ive had to put a major whackocash into The Anvil (water pump failure causing engine failure 11/17/07- $4200 for engine/parts/removal and replacement - - Last December)and you get to a point where youd be crazy to, or just cant,walk away from it. Ya know what I mean? Really dont want to sell the car just to find out that someone else put in $500 and will drive it for another 200,00km. Id have to find a way to bag myself. [&:]

JPN - Thank you for the information. Ive been going over it and I find it easy to understand so Im off to pull codes and check the fluid as that is the second easiest task to perform.

Back in a few with a list from the A and B sides. (Anyone remember what a 45rpm record is LOL)

Later.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I to wonder if it is something with the PNP but to go foward when in reverse means something a little different like a solenoid or something like that. The fluid never changed direction to go into reverse. Have you tried reverse lately has it warmed up at all since you last tried reverse? If so try and see if it goes in now.

Hopefully it is something pretty simple.

Thanks for all the comments as well!!

Old 11-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder what kind of oil are you running in the tranny? Could it be a unsuitable oil that might have made the solenoids sticky in this fr*$kin cold weather?

That means that It should behave better if you let it reach normal temperature (about 80 C)

If doubt, I would first replace tranny fluid and that also when the old oil is at a warmed up temperature before draining.

Good luck

Old 11-20-2008, 12:33 PM

Hey all ,

I apologize for not getting the codes posted earlier, I havent been able to get The Anvil into the shop as theyre fairly busy. Go frakin figure.

Last Nov.17 the water pump bearing seized causing catastrophic damage to the head and pistons which in turn put me in the fun [:@]position of getting a replacement engine.So youll understandif Im getting just a bit down. And it wasnt until late January that I got it back.

Now winter is about to begin again and Im walking again. Whats up with that?

The transmission is the lastcomponent that can cost me a $wackocash$ and after this the car will be practically new from front to back. The only things that I honestly havent replaced on The Anvil are the wheels, the front left head light and the exhaust system. Even the blower motor is new or less than 18 months old.

So, I love having a laptop, here are the code as theyre coming from the car.

1-1-1 Grrrrrrrr[:@]

Icrap you not. This is whatI just pulled from the car? Nothing else!

What does it mean? I mean,I know what it means, butwhen you get this codeisnt all supposed to be well in the world????

This has to be some sort of cruel and expensive Christmas joke or I got me some bad karma somewhere, ut I gave the last hitch hiker I saw a ride - crying out loud -we went forty kilometers, or broke my mojo, slipped a discor something because I aint feelin the XMas spirit. Ya know what I mean.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 11-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Does the car move at all yet?

Old 11-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DAMN DUDE!!!!
You have serious dedication to her. Cheers to you for that[sm=icon_cheers.gif].
Well I guess that means you need to put a heater on the bike

Good luck mate.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:03 PM
JPN

It is called the beauty of electronics. Self-diagnostic is not surgical precise, even on airplanes. Very often a trouble message disappears by resetting the circuit breaker, re-seating the black box (LRU-Line Replaceable Unit) or recycling the entire power to an airplane. @irbus is extremely notorious in doing this. Those systems are designed too sensitive and trigger fault signal for whatever the trivial reason.

Sorry for going off topic.

I can think of 4 causes at this moment:

- Shift cable needing adjustment.
- Clutch malfunction due to a malfunctioning solenoid.
- Clogged fluid passage(s).
- Fluid level/condition.

It seems that there are two components shared by R & D:
- Solenoid-B (Solenoid-No.2?)
- Underdrive brake band

IAW the manual, the underdrive brake band is adjustable. However, the manual I have is partial and have not found illustration for it.

JPN

Old 11-20-2008, 07:13 PM

Man you haven't had such good luck with your car! I feel for you, I really do, you've gone above and beyond what an 850 owner would be expected to do. Let us know how it turns out. As an FYI I did 3 drain and refills about 1000 miles apart and my tranny stopped dropping into neutral when stopping, no more slippage, just a bit of a hard shift into 3rd. That was around 3000 miles ago.

Also on a worst case basis you could always try some Lucas Stop Slip, if you are going to R&R the tranny you might as well put that in there, it might buy you some time.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:11 PM

Hello Tech,

When I put the car into reverse last Wednesday morning I was able to back up about twenty feet and then, what can best be described as a feeling of letting go, The Anvil stopped moving.

I thought, for what ever reason, that I had knocked the shifter in to neutral, and of course looked down, with what Im sure was a silly[&:]confused look on my face, to see that it was where it was supposed to be.

I put it into drive and moved only a few feet forward and the car again felt like it just stopped putting power to the ground.

After some back and forth action I was able to get the car back to its parking spot.

It feels as though the transmission will engage and then let go. I called the shop and Dave suggetsted that it may be a broken drive shaft, but I don't think that this is the case as The Anvil will move, ever so slightly, but then stop.

The shop wont be able to take it in untill Monday So when I get more news Ill let you know the cost as I know that its going to $cost$ me.

Again, Merry Frakin Christmas, Everyone.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 11-20-2008, 09:30 PM

I know a new tranny costs around $3k here in the states...just to prepare you..

Old 11-20-2008, 09:35 PM

ORIGINAL: TIPSP

Dang! That is a lot of S***, but over what period of time though?
You could of bought another 850 with what that must of cost.

Good luck with the trans.

[/quote]

The time period is about two years.

I probably could have bought another car but it gets hard to give up after you reach a certain point ($$$$) when its the only car you have but dont have the money for a large down payment.Ive been there before with my 95 Grand Am that I got in 96. I got the extended warranty and thank god for that as the car was crap and was back at the dealer once a month for something that needed to be fixed. I had the car for less than two years and put almost $2K into it, along with the $350/mo car payment and full insurance. About $600/mo.

This is a much more comfortable car and I miss it. []

Later

Old 11-20-2008, 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: TIPSP

DAMN DUDE!!!!
You have serious dedication to her. Cheers to you for that[sm=icon_cheers.gif].
Well I guess that means you need to put a heater on the bike

Good luck mate.
The Anvil is definatly a dude, dude. With a name like The Anvil, this aint no girly ride. LOL

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 11-20-2008, 09:55 PM

ORIGINAL: wheelsup

Man you havent had such good luck with your car! I feel for you, I really do, youve gone above and beyond what an 850 owner would be expected to do. Let us know how it turns out. As an FYI I did 3 drain and refills about 1000 miles apart and my tranny stopped dropping into neutral when stopping, no more slippage, just a bit of a hard shift into 3rd. That was around 3000 miles ago.

Also on a worst case basis you could always try some Lucas Stop Slip, if you are going to R&R the tranny you might as well put that in there, it might buy you some time.
Actuall, thats not a bad idea and theres an auto auto part store across the street.

I'll go over after work in the morning and get me some and Il let you know what happens.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 11-20-2008, 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: wheelsup

I know a new tranny costs around $3k here in the states...just to prepare you..
Oh, my ********* are already swellingfrom the thought of the cost.[sm=outcold.gif] [:@] [sm=smiley19.gif]

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 11-21-2008, 06:05 AM

USD 7K where I live for a new 850 tranny.

Quick Reply: Thank You, All