Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

thermostat and plugs/wires connection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thermostat and plugs/wires connection?

I wish I knew even a little about maintaining my 96 850 GLT, but I just don't.

Earlier this month, my check engine light went on, so I took it into the dealership, and they replaced some vacuum hoses. The light went off, I paid my $250, and I was able to get it inspected.

Two days later, I was driving, and the car would "sputter" or miss when I accelerated. I took it back in, and they the replaced the o-ring around my oil cap, because oil was leaking out, and they thought that the oil was seeping into the engine and causing some sort of problem. They cleaned up the oil that had surfaced on top of the engine around the cap, did so at no charge, and the car ran fine.

This morning, a few weeks later, I get the same sputtering and miss, such that I can barely accelerate out of a stop. I managed to get it to the dealership, they said they'd take a look at it. They explained that two of my cylinders were missing and that I would need the plugs and wires replaced. They said this was independent of any thing to do with what they did to fix my the previous problem, so it cost me $360.

Well, driving home, it drove smoothly, but I noticed that my air wasn't cool. I shook my head and thought that it was unlucky, but that I needed to charge the frion. That was until I got about a mile from my house and noticed smoke coming from my engine and my temperature gauge all the way up.

I called Volvo, vented my frustration that every time I left their dealership, I had a new problem. The guy I spoke to said that he didn't have a clue as to why this would happen, but that he would arrange to have my car towed in.

To my question (finally): is there anything that might have been done while they replaced my plugs and wires that might have caused the thermostat to malfunction? I would sure appreciate any feedback the might suggest so, as I do not want to pay to fix a problem that might have been caused by something they did.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 09-22-2006, 10:57 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: thermostat and plugs/wires connection?

I don't think they are in anyway related at all.

The cooling fan might have seized up. Or the Relay might have gone bad(I think one of them because of the A/C issue)
The thermostat might have broke.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: thermostat and plugs/wires connection?

If your car is very low with radiator fluid (you should see green liquid in overflow reservior tank) mounted on passenger's side inner fendor, then your thermostat would have a difficult time opening and closing properly.

More info here...
https://volvoforums.com/m_16392/tm.htm