Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

trade a running 850 turbo for yellow t-5r bad turbo?

Old 07-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trade a running 850 turbo for yellow t-5r bad turbo?

Alright guys I need your help. I have a black 96 turbo with over 200k miles on it. It runs great and its been my favorite car! However, I have found someone who is willing to trade me his yellow t-5r for my turbo. Here's he catch: he says it needs a new turbocharger. I emailed him and got quick response. He said he's not EXACTLY sure what's wrong with it but it can start. But as soon as you drive it, it dies. No smoke ever but he said the turbo gets red hot. So here are my questions:

1: is it worth it?
2: what exactly is wrong with it?
3: if I do the trade and have the new parts, would I be able to drive it away and not worry about it?

I know this it's kind of a weird situation but I really like the 850's and a yellow t-5r would make this guy very happy.

Ps: I can't go see the car in person because I'm in Texas, then will be in Washington, and he is in Arizona. Thanks guys! I hope I can get some insight.

-Travys

Old 07-31-2012, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first of all let me ask you
1. how many miles does his t5 have
2.is he willing to pay the difference for yours because yours still runs good.200 miles is nothing for volvo, can run more than that.
3. do you really know what you are running into getting his car? that is your 850 turbo and you have maintained quiet well and still running good.that means you know your car.the t5 might need more than just a new fuel pump or relay nor a turbocharger.

wish you could go see the car in person before you make any decisions.who knows, his t5 might not have been maintained well.

Also his T5 needs a new fuel pump nor a pump relay.really need to troubleshoot it before knowing which part you need.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slimflex2, you make a very good point about my own car. I never thought of that. I think I just got caught up with the fact that a t5r could be mine but it's not worth it. The guy wrote me back and told me more about it and its not a simple swap of any part. This is why I came on here so thank you. I'm going to keep my turbo and make it run better.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I really like the rarity of the T-5R's. Texas and Arizona are not far away. The main thing I like about the yellow 850's is how rare they are and how well they can hold their value if they have a clean carfox and are well maintained. It's hard to swap a good running car for a car that doesn't run, especially if it's your only running vehicle.

I would consider buying the car outright, after having it inspected. That's what I did when I purchased a yellow sedan. There is more than two things wrong with a 17 year old car.

Not sure why the car is stalling or why the turbo is burning up but if the car has a clean carfox at the right price it's worth having. I actually sold my yellow sedan after I got my wagon home from a 1,500 mile trip to pick it up.

Last edited by rspi; 08-01-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by das8track
Slimflex2, you make a very good point about my own car. I never thought of that. I think I just got caught up with the fact that a t5r could be mine but it's not worth it. The guy wrote me back and told me more about it and its not a simple swap of any part. This is why I came on here so thank you. I'm going to keep my turbo and make it run better.
this is what l would do if l was you. l would bargain with the guy to the lowest point and get the T5. like RSPI said it is a very rare car and holds its value with a good carfax.go for it if you have the $$. let it sit and fix it when you get the money to do so whilst you own the 850 turbo.because you dont want to swap your nice turbo for something that doesnt work. at the end you get to own a rare t5 and a 850 turbo.you can even swap parts from your 850 turbo to the T5 if you really want to use the T5 just to make you feel Good behind the steering wheel of a rare T5 volvo.LOL.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:27 PM

I actually sold my yellow sedan after I got my wagon home from a 1,500 mile trip to pick it up.[/QUOTE]

1,500 miles trip? brother that was such long trip.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Picked it up in the Boston area and drove it home. Actually visited family the whole time and even went to Myrtle Beach. All with a bad tranny.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Picked it up in the Boston area and drove it home. Actually visited family the whole time and even went to Myrtle Beach. All with a bad tranny.
wow dude with a bad tranny?LOL.how did you survive that? one tough guy.lol

Old 08-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Reverse, 1st and 2nd were pretty bad. Just push the Winter mode button and you can drive away in 3rd. No torque.