Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Which Tune - Speedtuning Vs Inmotion?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Tune - Speedtuning Vs Inmotion?

Looking to get a tune for my platinum 850 turbo. Looking at both of these tunes since they are budget friendly. What are the pro's and con's of both? Is 1 better than the other? Which would you pick? Both have 17 psi tunes from what i read. I read the speedtuning runs a little rich. Would that mean worse gas mileage? They are both priced pretty much the same. I already have a MBC but want to get a tune.

If you have had either 1, what are you thoughts on it?

Old 01-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IPD.

I have read good things about both of them, I have also read bad things about both of them. I have never read a bad thing about IPD. I will either be going with IPD or TurboTuner, I feel that tuning is NOT something you want to do cheaply. Save a little longer and go IPD or RICA.

Just my two cents.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:00 PM

i would love to go with either, but the price is just not in the future for me. a little more than i would like to spend. rica isnt that bad at $499. IPD way to much and the boost is only 14.5. To me that doesnt seem cost effective for the price they charge. I know more is involved but im looking for best bang here.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

using an unknown tune CAN give you a lot of bang. the problem is, the bang will be coming from your motor.

if you're going to start messing with your ECU tuning, it's best to not skimp. Save your money for something PROVEN reliable.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by ibified
using an unknown tune CAN give you a lot of bang. the problem is, the bang will be coming from your motor.

if you're going to start messing with your ECU tuning, it's best to not skimp. Save your money for something PROVEN reliable.

Is speedtuning or Inmotion not PROVEN reliable? Ive not seen any complaints about them. Or ever heard of them blowing up motors. Cost wise, they are great i think. If i had more money to drop, i would def go with IPD. Its just hard to justify it to my wife lol. $300 range isnt hard at all.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:49 PM

if thats the way you are bound and determined to go, by all means have at it.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:52 PM

My 2 cents...

1st off is a MBC needed with a tune? Doesn't the ECU control the boost seen by the engine?

2nd if your research states the tune is richer than this is the way you would need to go. Running rich (of course it all depends on how rich it is) will have your motor last longer. You will need to monitor your plugs though.

3rd I really think 17.5psi is too much for the stock turbo. I have read that 15-16psi is the max you would want to run with a stock turbo.

You also need to look at the power made under the curve and not just peak HP results. A tune that has better numbers under the curve (peak numbers) will actually be faster on the street (in a street race scenerio). IPD claims their #'s are better "under the curve" so check this out before you make your decision. I think you will be happier.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:37 PM

at 17.5 psi your air is gonna be so superheated that you'd need an intercooler the size of a chalk board to get the air cooled down to an acceptable temperature. The stock turbo simply isnt built to make 17.5 PSI

Old 01-14-2011, 08:28 AM

from what ive read it is 15 psi in 1st and 2nd gear, then 17 in 3rd and so on. im wanting some opinions of people who have had either tune.

i have a mbc now and i tend to hit fuel cutoff easily if i floor it when its cold, and the mbc is set at 12-13

it did it twice this morning. thats another reason i want to tune it, so i quit hitting that cutoff. im running a hallman mbc by the way

now from what i read speedtuning only runs rich at wide open throttle. if you drive normal its not rich or so ive read. anyone know for sure?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by boostnm3
from what ive read it is 15 psi in 1st and 2nd gear, then 17 in 3rd and so on. im wanting some opinions of people who have had either tune.

i have a mbc now and i tend to hit fuel cutoff easily if i floor it when its cold, and the mbc is set at 12-13

it did it twice this morning. thats another reason i want to tune it, so i quit hitting that cutoff. im running a hallman mbc by the way

now from what i read speedtuning only runs rich at wide open throttle. if you drive normal its not rich or so ive read. anyone know for sure?
Thats what you want it to do. Sorry I do not have any experience with either; hell I do not even have a Volvo.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:00 PM

again, your stock 15g turbo is not capable of putting out 17.5 lbs, so unless you are going to change your turbo, it's kinda pointless to have something that will boost that high anyway.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:29 PM

ok im confused, ive read where people say they are good at 18-20 psi. then i read they arent good over 15.

not sure which is correct

Old 01-14-2011, 03:59 PM

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...-dont-comment/

try reading this. it will answer a lot of your questions.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boostnm3
ok im confused, ive read where people say they are good at 18-20 psi. then i read they arent good over 15.

not sure which is correct
18-20 with a good tune and supporting mods. Let me guess, you're stock except for the MBC and boost gauge. People pushing 18-20 through a stock turbo have front mounts, meth injection, intakes, exhausts, widebands, injectors, etc etc etc. I would not recommend going over 15 psi on a stock set up.

And why buy a tune that is proven to run rich? It doesn't make sense. It's like buying something you know is broken. A tune isn't supposed to run rich, it's supposed to run proper.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by gilber33
18-20 with a good tune and supporting mods. Let me guess, you're stock except for the MBC and boost gauge. People pushing 18-20 through a stock turbo have front mounts, meth injection, intakes, exhausts, widebands, injectors, etc etc etc. I would not recommend going over 15 psi on a stock set up.

And why buy a tune that is proven to run rich? It doesn't make sense. It's like buying something you know is broken. A tune isn't supposed to run rich, it's supposed to run proper.

well i wasnt saying for me, i was saying i read they were good to that psi. ive got intake installed, exhaust ordered, injectors coming, mbc installed, gauge installed, downpipe ordered, not sure on a front mount yet, not going to do meth injection.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:55 PM

How proper is a mail order tune or canned tune going to be really? A tune that's spot on a sea level won't be several thousand feet above. Or a spot on tune in July that was done in Alabama won't be as good in December or January in Alabama. Canned and Mail order tunes are ball park at best in my experience

Old 01-14-2011, 11:21 PM

except for the fact that your ecu can compensate for things like barometric pressure and temperature. Once you get a tune, you should be fine regardless of temperature or elevation.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:31 AM

With in a small amount. My motorcycle has tuned in cool weather and as it warmed up you could tell the tune was off. A computer can correct for some changes but a car tuned in Florida would not be in the best state of tune in Denver several thousand feet above sea level. Less oxygen and different requirements the motor would need.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:43 AM

really? so when they sell cars new in the US, they tune them to the market where they are being sold? is that what you are saying?

With the motorcycle, I'm betting that the bike was carbeurated - thats a BIG difference from fuel injection.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:28 AM

Mail order...they are all mailed order. Tuners who sell tunes leave a margin for error in all their tunes. It's the only way to sell them effectively. If you want a spot on tune you need to have the ability to either run a piggyback system (in conjunction with the stock electronics), an aftermarket complete ECU (like FAST or Big Stuff), or a reflasher (like SCT) and have it tuned to your specific mod's.

Unfortunatly 850's can not be reflashed you have to go with a complete ECU like IPD or a chip similiar to what you mentioned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which Tune - Speedtuning Vs Inmotion?