Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

turbo issue or fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo issue or fuel?

So this morning on my way to work at about 1/2 and full normal operating temp I get no boost. Engine runs fine otherwise though. Afterwork I have no power. I can barely get it up to 20MPH. I floor the throttle and still no power. Boost gauge doesn't budge. After the engine fully warms up, same thing, no power. Hell I lost power going up a hill that isn't big or steep. As I play with the gas pedal, it shifts just fine and when I get it into the next higher gear (1 to 2) and the revs drop, I pick up a little speed. I was hard pressed to get it pass 30 on a straight, flat road. It felt like something was being blocked from operating normally. Any ideas? The car had been running fine. Today was the first day it was -1 air temp. Thanks all.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: turbo issue or fuel?

The turbo might have seized up.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:49 PM

Hello,
I am very glad I read your post. The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I brought it into the garage, and they said it was frozen moisture in the gas lines. They took it in the shop over night, and than it worked fine. I am still not convinced that this was the main reason. Also, mine was running cool, so I had the thermostat replaced, but yours seems to be operating at a good temperature. The code he got from the problem after further research suggested that it was transmition related. He said there was a shifter switch that could have gone bad and I believe he replaced it. He also replaced the fuel filter and checked the transmition fluid. This sounds like a lot, but all together its not very costly. One more thing, when mine had this problem, if I would put the car in Park, it would rev fine, but in drive, it would barely get past 20-30 mph on flats, and barely 10mph up a slight grade hill. Also, before this, when it was cold, sometimes the engine itselft would run fine and I could get up to speed, but there was no boost, it felt and sounded like a non-turbo. Please let me know if this helps and let me know if your problem is like mine was.

-Thanks and hope this helped!

Old 01-03-2008, 05:39 AM

Thanks for the replies. In park the car revs the same as when in drive, not much pass 2500 if any. Although when I got it home I did notice the boost gauge would jump a little, but not near the white on the gauge. I havea new fuel filter I never installed, maybe today I will do that. I think I heard it's fairly easy. Just two quick connect fittings on the rear pass. side of the car. The CEL didn't light up and it has before, so I know it works. It seemed to shift fine, I just couldn't get enough speed to take it much off full throttle. When I did it did shift properly and picked up a little speed. I have noticed when I start the car the last week or so it seems to whislte or makea high pitched humming sound for a minute, but then it goes away and doesn't return. I think today is suppose to be warmer and I don't work till 3PM, so I'll have time to fiddle with it. Thanks again.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:56 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, check for blockage in the exhaust, which can cause back pressure to build up and prevent the engine from breathing normally.

Fuel filter replacement is not difficult, but you still have to watch out a few things since it is a fire hazard. Work in an open area.

Make sure to relieve system pressure before disconnecting a hose. Also, if the filter has not been replaced before, it may be a bit difficult to disconnect the hoses. Haynes tells you to use an open-end wrench but you can use whatever works. Mine was a bit hard to remove, and I twisted (rotated) thehose-to-filter connectionwhile pulling on the hoses (quick disconnect), which undid the sticking.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 01-03-2008, 07:53 AM

So now the damn thing won't even start. Turns over weak. It's about 0 out, so I think I will wait to go lay in the snow under the car until closer to noon. Should be 17 or so by then. Hopfully I can find some problem. I am kinda anxious for this weekend. Suppose to be in the 40's. I want to see how the 850 acts when it warms back up.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn over weak, sounds like the battery. Older batteries do not like zero degree weather. First thing I would do is try to jump it. That has nothing to do with you other problems though.

When I did my fuel filter I broke the hose from the tank to the filter, and it was a pain to replace that hose. So be careful pulling the hose off the filter. Get something like needle nose pliers behind the hose and pry it off as opposed to pulling it off like I did.