Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

update on rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default update on rebuild

well its all back together with new rings re honed cylinders and new bearing all around - we have a problem though im still getting high pressure in crank and cylinder 5 is knocking now when i press the accelerator- i think ill need to pull the oil pan again and see if all the bolts are tight on the rod ends -- any ideas would be nice as to why im still getting high crank pressure

Old 01-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

new pcv was done with the rebuild?

Old 01-30-2010, 02:59 PM

Are you sure it's a rod knock and not just a lifter that hasn't filled up with oil yet?

Old 01-30-2010, 03:49 PM

im not sure but its real loud - i took the oilpan off again - everything is torqued to spec and its only #5 that is doing it - i figured better safe than sorry so i pulled the pan i dont see any problems from the bottom of block - so it could be a lifter thats gone flat - holy mother its loud tho - ill reassemble it but im afraid to run it again - btw how long should it take to reinflate- and yes the pcv was done a long time ago
what could be causing the excess pressure schigara??? ive tried everything short of new engine-at least i think i have - tell me if im missing something please

Old 01-30-2010, 04:09 PM

I found the cuase of the knock -- a ****ing bearing slipped and was --awwww goddammit -- no damage to piston or crankshaft tho - good thing i had 1 spare bearing kit
going to do it now - that should take me about 4 hours

Old 01-30-2010, 04:30 PM

Is there just a little smoke slowly coming out the dipstick tube or a lot? Did you get the holes in the block that the oil trap connects to clean and open? Did you clean the ptc on the intake hose?

I read somewhere about a balloon test. Put a balloon on the dip tube and see if it blows up.

Last edited by schigara; 01-30-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:47 PM

all channels are clean - i used an extended bottle brush to do it - i found my problem with my knock- #5 bearin spun round
its reset and torqued - i think i forgot to torque that one
jesus im a dumb *** sometimes - but thats what happens when you rush things

Old 01-30-2010, 05:13 PM

I know what you mean. In my early years, I used to get in a rush because I wanted to hear the damn thing run and made a mistake or two and now I check and then double check everything. Just sit back, drink a beer and maybe have a smoke and think about what I am doing.

If you go slow and know you covered all the bases, you can get it back together and hit the key without having any doubts at all that it's perfect.

I used to use the butt end of a mallet to bump the piston down the bore when installing pistons and I had a bearing shake loose without realizing it and that bearing spun. Now I always get an assistant to push the piston down while I guide the rod into place.

Last edited by schigara; 01-30-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:35 PM

Hey is this the Platinum club (cars I mean) I think I'm a member.

Schigara sorry about that post on your thread. too much vino. I deleted it but?? hope no one saw it, especially you. I'm such an A hole.

I agree, there's nothing more disheartening than putting all of that work in and still having a motor with problems. My NA runs great, has good power, driven already over 5K, but is burning serious oil. It has to be redone (after the T5 is on the road).

Radio16, I feel for you man. keep going, I'm amazed at your tenacity. I really hope it all works out in the end. I'd come down and give you a hand if it weren't so far.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:39 PM

im done with it now - i just started it and it sounds great - the only issue i still have yet to figure out is why the hell im getting so much pressure in the crank case - ive done everything including turpentine down each drainhole and the bottlebrush but to no avail -- could the connections on the top of the pcv be backwards - thats the only thing left that i can possibly think of
either that or too much oil which i seriously doubt but ill check it again tomorrow- if there is a specific way the hoses go on the pcv collector please feel free to post a diagram of the correct connection

Old 01-30-2010, 06:45 PM

Oh good, I was a bit tipsy on Crown and the next day I was like, "I thought Bobec posted last night but now it's gone". I was too toasted to remember what it said but now glad I was not so toasted to "imagine" a post. hehe

Originally Posted by Bobec
Schigara sorry about that post on your thread. too much vino. I deleted it but?? hope no one saw it, especially you. I'm such an A hole.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:10 PM

Radio16.. don't mean to hijack your thread but only for a moment.

So Schigara did you hot tank that head? I've been cleaning all day and making progress but not nearly as clean. All the valves out, stem seals needed some working to get them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZYXHAxco0A

This was the vid link I posted on your thread. I love the music and lyrics. Don't know if he had the honing thing right?

Old 01-30-2010, 07:26 PM

no probs bobec - you got any ideas as to why im still getting high pressure in my crank- i dont want to have to strip it down again - ill just junk it-- its got to be something so simple that im missing - im going to get all new vacuum hoses tomorrow for the whole engine-- just out of curiosity - could my idle air controller have anything to do with it???
the cylinder that is laying sideways next to- and just above the throttle body with vac tree attached it????

Last edited by radio16; 01-30-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:27 PM

I don't know why but the Machine shop said they can't hot tank a head but I did have them clean it for $25.

The way that guy is "honing" the cylinders is a bit off. Way too high rpm's on the drill and too slow up and down. No way to get a 45 degree pattern the way he is doing it.

Last edited by schigara; 01-30-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:48 PM

Have you driven it yet?

From my perspective, with breaking in diesels, you start them and punish them in a big way right from the beginning. From everything I've read, and Schigara's advise on gas engines, seems to be not much different. Put it on the road and punish it, really drive it. I noticed a big time transformation in my NA when I did this, just wish it wasn't burning the oil. DO NOT use synthetic oil for breakin.

But I'm no expert, Schigara has much better advise than me.

Hope it works out, we'll all have to meet at sebring for a race of the platinum class.

Wow!!!! $25??? I'd pay to have them clean. seems like a real bargan to me. It looks great.

Last edited by Bobec; 01-30-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:10 PM

no ive not driven it yet but when i pull the dipstick i get what looks like a train smokestack but not smoke- steam

Old 01-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Drive it for a little bit and see how it goes.
BTW can the Yellow work in with the Plats?

Old 01-30-2010, 08:59 PM

Sure, we don't discriminate. heh

Originally Posted by tech

Old 01-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

LOL ok we could have some fun!

Old 01-30-2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by tech
Drive it for a little bit and see how it goes.
absolutely, As long as you can imagine yellow in the rear view mirror of ??? a wagon(s), to boot.

Schigara... we have to get you a racing wing.

BTW bought an ECU off ebay. Hacking starts soon. Also bought boot legged VIDA/Vadis so I can see what's what.

Tech...even though you're yellow, I'll be forthcoming. I mean heck you're almost a next door neighbor.

Quick Reply: update on rebuild