Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

update on rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:25 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobec
absolutely, As long as you can imagine yellow in the rear view mirror of ??? a wagon(s), to boot.

Schigara... we have to get you a racing wing.

BTW bought an ECU off ebay. Hacking starts soon. Also bought boot legged VIDA/Vadis so I can see what's what.

Tech...even though you're yellow, I'll be forthcoming. I mean heck you're almost a next door neighbor.
What are you doing to the ECU?
we have to meet up sometime soon.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech
What are you doing to the ECU?
we have to meet up sometime soon.
Haven't decided yet. After reading a lot about megasquirt and the other after market ECU's I really want to build a simple(easy to use) plug and play with simple user controls. You want 15psi of boost, just push a bottom. you want 25psi of boost you just push a botton etc. For my self I want all of my gauges under the dash. I don't want a cop walking up to my door seeing gauges all over the pillar. I want them tucked in. I want a real PSI indicating boost gauge, A/F mixture and EGT and they all have to be inside of the dash as we see it.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Oh ok I need to find a good ECU setup myself. But I also need an Auto ECU changed over to a manual ECU.

There is places out there that do it but I do not have $700.00 to have it done.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by tech
Oh ok I need to find a good ECU setup myself. But I also need an Auto ECU changed over to a manual ECU.

There is places out there that do it but I do not have $700.00 to have it done.
tech, It shouldn't cost that much and I really want to bring it into reality for all of us, yeah I want to make some money but it takes less than 1 minute to flash a chip(for $700, seems like extortion to me), you just have to know what to flash it with and after that it's almost pure profit. But really this is not how I want to approach it because most drivers don't have the ability to flash chips or set all of the parameters involved with tuning. But(maybe a bit over simplified at this point) the ECU of our cars are a map based system, with lookup tables ie flash ROM, for control of the engine. I would like to use a high speed feedback (PID) loop system using the wide band lambda (A/F) sensor which is already in the car to control the injectors and boost. The MAF?? well I'm aready talking way tooo much. The microcontroller used in the motronics 4.3 and probably the 4.4 is this one

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...n/1-d80515.pdf

really nothing special. kind of slow by todays standards.

Okay Radio16 really sorry now for robbing your thread..

In reality it's a really big nut to crack but I can't wait until my motor is ready for testing.

Last edited by Bobec; 01-30-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bobec
tech, It shouldn't cost that much and I really want to bring it into reality for all of us, yeah I want to make some money but it takes less than 1 minute to flash a chip(for $700, seems like extortion to me), you just have to know what to flash it with and after that it's almost pure profit. But really this is not how I want to approach it because most drivers don't have the ability to flash chips or set all of the parameters involved with tuning. But(maybe a bit over simplified at this point) the ECU of our cars are a map based system, with lookup tables ie flash ROM, for control of the engine. I would like to use a high speed feedback (PID) loop system using the wide band lambda (A/F) sensor which is already in the car to control the injectors and boost. The MAF?? well I'm aready talking way tooo much. The microcontroller used in the motronics 4.3 and probably the 4.4 is this one

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...n/1-d80515.pdf

really nothing special. kind of slow by todays standards.

Okay Radio16 really sorry now for robbing your thread..

In reality it's a really big nut to crack but I can't wait until my motor is ready for testing.
You could acheive this by using a slightly more advanced electronic boost controller as well, especially the "stages" of boost.

As for the manual remap, it seems that unless you want to do some rewiring the auto ECU works out a little better (weird RPM hang with manual tunes and US spec 850's). If you're talking about your 95, find a 96-97 R (628) ECU and that would stop your CEL (also your OBDI jumper :P)

Old 01-31-2010, 07:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks guys --ALL THAT INFO ABOUT ECU MAPPING REALLY HELPED-NOT!!!-- im trying to find out some really important stuff here and you fill this thread with ecu mapping and racing eachother -- wow -- RIGHT NOW IM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY - AFTER A TOTAL REBUILD - MY CAR IS STILL GETTING EXCESS CRANK PRESSURE !
very unhappy camper at the moment

Old 01-31-2010, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by radio16
thanks guys --ALL THAT INFO ABOUT ECU MAPPING REALLY HELPED-NOT!!!-- im trying to find out some really important stuff here and you fill this thread with ecu mapping and racing eachother -- wow -- RIGHT NOW IM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY - AFTER A TOTAL REBUILD - MY CAR IS STILL GETTING EXCESS CRANK PRESSURE !
Sorry I will stop about the ECU stuff in here.

I would drive it for a little while and then see what happens.
Hopefully this will help make up for it. Diagram of the system.
Name:  ventsystem.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  105.1 KB

Old 01-31-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by radio16
Sorry, totally my fault.

Here's some good reading about seating. although I'm not advocating total seal rings (heard from a few people they have issues). I am interested in Quickseat if any one has any experience?

http://www.totalseal.com/TechPage.as...plessPistRings

And some more info from Hastings

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ContentDa...x?Contentid=82

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ServiceTi..._procedure.htm

The key it seems is not to let it idle too long before loading.

I read somewhere, and was trying to find it to post but couldn't, that the end gap is not nearly as important as ring seating as far as keeping it from burning oil.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:05 PM

thanks guys - i took it out on the road for the firsat time today - it was sooooo quiet - tomorro i will be removing the cat - i think its blocked up coz im still getting a lot of back pressure on my crank- also i put my car on obdII and pulled only 2 codes ---1 tps faulty and 2 turbo wastegate malfunction2 is my fault i set it back to far and it opens way to soon
i can fix the turbo problem easily enough ill just set it back where it was before - by the way how many pounds vacuum should i use to set it

Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Check in this post I posted all the info there about doing it. I think it was one of the last pages.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:35 PM
Administrator
Old 02-01-2010, 07:10 AM

RIGHT ON MAN -- no more crankcase pressure - i guess the ring seated - im good to go now -REMEMBER EVERYONE - WHEN YOU DO A REBUILD-TAKE YOUR TIME DONT RUSH AND WHEN YOU THINK YOU,VE GOT IT CLEAN ----- CLEAN IT AGAIN AND AGAIN !!!!! NOW I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS OF MY LABORS - TIME TO SELL IT ILL START THE BIDDING AT $7200 ANY OFFERS LEAVE ME A P/M
I WANT TO REBUILD A TURBO WAGON NEXT PREFERABLY BLACK 850 TURBO (BUT RED WILL DO)

Last edited by radio16; 02-01-2010 at 05:00 PM.