Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   VIN: emissions number "1"?? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/vin-emissions-number-1-a-73468/)

Chrispy_T 09-08-2013 06:46 PM

VIN: emissions number "1"??

I've been digging through everything but I can't find a specification for the 8th digit being "1". On top of that, every time I go to volvocars.com, it times out. Does anyone know what my car has? It's a 95 850 Turbo

rspi 09-08-2013 06:59 PM

The website is down.

Chrispy_T 09-08-2013 07:03 PM

Somethings up with the forums vin decoder as well. It gives me a content encoding error. This really sucks.

difflock54 09-08-2013 07:20 PM

Look up this link.
It's working okay currently.

Volvo 850 VIN Plate Identification

Chrispy_T 09-08-2013 07:27 PM

The 8th digit is not a 0, 2, or 6. It's a 1. That isn't listed there. Thanks, but it's of no help with my case.

difflock54 09-08-2013 07:35 PM

on the V40 Volvo's the 1 = KOD:EMH1

Tried out all the models with emission clasifications and the 40 series is the only one with a 1 classification.

Chrispy_T 09-08-2013 07:44 PM

Volvocars.com has a digit 1 for the 850 there but I can't remember what it is. I THINK it's EGR only but I cant be certain.

difflock54 09-08-2013 08:32 PM

Your Engine code should be 55 or 57. The latter is FWD turbo.
A 58 is for a T5-R turbo

[1992-Present] Emission Control Equipment
  • 0 = SULEV+ (Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle) / Engine Codes 39, 55, 64, 72
  • 2 = ULEV2 (Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle) / Engine Codes 38, 41, 51, 59, 61, 67, 68, 85, 98, 99
  • 4 = Engine Codes 71
  • 7 = LEV2 (Low Emissions Vehicle) / Engine Codes 52, 54
  • D = L6
If your a 57 or 58 it aint listed there either ???

If your a 55 its the one highlighted Theoretically??

Chrispy_T 09-08-2013 09:04 PM

My engine code is 57. It's not listed there. It's a little irritating that I can't get anything to work when I need it. Just my luck.

difflock54 09-08-2013 10:30 PM

Found the answer for you finally on Matthews Volvo site.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/vol...6-example.html

Harder to read than other forms of VIN description but it has yours on it.
Read the 2nd table down the page for emissions info.

Chrispy_T 09-09-2013 10:53 PM

Well, volvocars is back up and I found the vin decoder. Turns out that this is what I have. "1 = w/ EGR w/o air pump, w/OBDII, w/elec. control evap." What should I do about the egr since I'm converting to the NA throttle body? I don't want to deal with the CEL. Oh, another thing is that I have hit fuel cut at least 5 times since my last CEL and I have yet to see a code for the boost controller. It's only ever tripped once.

difflock54 09-10-2013 08:02 PM

Yes, that description is the same answer I found on the Mathews Volvo site via the link on my last thread.

gdog 09-10-2013 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chrispy_T (Post 365099)
Well, volvocars is back up and I found the vin decoder. Turns out that this is what I have. "1 = w/ EGR w/o air pump, w/OBDII, w/elec. control evap." What should I do about the egr since I'm converting to the NA throttle body? I don't want to deal with the CEL. Oh, another thing is that I have hit fuel cut at least 5 times since my last CEL and I have yet to see a code for the boost controller. It's only ever tripped once.

Are you just changing out the TB and not the intake manifold? If so, you don't care about EGR valve, it stays with the manifold.

Only reason to change out the manifold with the N/A TB is to get the bigger opening; most just line bore (or die grind) the turbo manifold to match.

Are you going to disable the egr?

Chrispy_T 09-11-2013 02:46 PM

I looked at the EGR and it seemed to be bolted to the TB not the mani, I guess I was wrong. I plan on line boring the turbo manifold and polishing it. I'm also going to tidy up the runners if needed. I want to clean up the manifold as much as possible to smooth things out.

Kiss4aFrog 09-11-2013 04:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The throttle body isn't very thick. It's only about an inch and a half thick so the EGR doesn't have room to mate to it.
I think the boss in the picture would be where the EGR bolts up. In the small picture, it's a NA manifold and the EGR isn't drilled open.

Found a picture of it !!
http://www.tracystruesoaps.com/tutor...o_manifold.jpg

gdog 09-11-2013 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chrispy_T (Post 365228)
I looked at the EGR and it seemed to be bolted to the TB not the mani, I guess I was wrong. I plan on line boring the turbo manifold and polishing it. I'm also going to tidy up the runners if needed. I want to clean up the manifold as much as possible to smooth things out.

By polishing I hope you're referring to the exterior? You don't want to polish the interior...

Chrispy_T 09-11-2013 10:05 PM

I meant smoothing the surface that I bore out with 1000-1500 grit or so. Not polish the entire manifold. That could be frustrating. :rolleyes: I just want to get the opening as nice as possible.

Kiss4aFrog 09-11-2013 10:28 PM

Don't forget the outside of that manifold :eek:
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...93_76_full.jpg

Chrispy_T 09-11-2013 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog (Post 365259)
Don't forget the outside of that manifold :eek:
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...93_76_full.jpg

If the rest of the motor looked just as nice, sure but no. Just no. That and I'm too broke to afford to make it nice. Budget performance FTW! :D

Kiss4aFrog 09-11-2013 11:38 PM

I have enough trouble affording function. I'm not anywhere near being able to spend time and money on looks yet either. :D

rspi 09-12-2013 02:50 AM

I didn't know that swapping on a NA throttle body did anything to help performance.

I know that the NA throttle bodies had a plastic plate in them that reduced air flow at WOT so people would remove the throttle plate and install the plate from a 960 in the NA throttle body to help them preform a little better.

I sure hope you're not chasing someone's myth.

gdog 09-12-2013 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chrispy_T (Post 365256)
I meant smoothing the surface that I bore out with 1000-1500 grit or so. Not polish the entire manifold. That could be frustrating. :rolleyes: I just want to get the opening as nice as possible.

400 grit or higher is effectively polishing. You don't want a smooth surface in the intake tract; leave it a bit rough for better flow and fuel atomization. If you want to polish anything, do the exhaust ports. On the exterior, whatever, knock yourself out.

gdog 09-12-2013 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by rspi (Post 365287)
I didn't know that swapping on a NA throttle body did anything to help performance.

I know that the NA throttle bodies had a plastic plate in them that reduced air flow at WOT so people would remove the throttle plate and install the plate from a 960 in the NA throttle body to help them preform a little better.

I sure hope you're not chasing someone's myth.

RSPI; ck out this thread on the topic; the N/A TB is 10mm larger in diameter than the turbo on the OD (ID of attaching hose). Yes the N/A plate has a plastic bobble on the plate to smooth flow during initial transition, most guys grind it off and solder up the remaining holes, or put in a 960 throttle plate (which is sans the plastic piece). The effect of the plastic piece at WOT would be negligible if anything.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...re-air-64027/?

rspi 09-13-2013 05:05 AM

So, one would do this to take on more air for a ECU upgrade? What would it do if you had no other mods?

gdog 09-13-2013 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by rspi (Post 365372)
So, one would do this to take on more air for a ECU upgrade? What would it do if you had no other mods?

Yeah, I don't know if I'd recommend any of these mods (N/A TB, N/A cams) w/o an ECU "tune". I have both installed in my 855T and am driving it now, but am taking it easy until I drop in the green ard tune. And I am waiting on AFR (air fuel ratio) gauge before I do that. ARD recommends monitoring AFR and boost when doing a tune, so I got both gauges coming from AEM; should be here next week...

Kiss4aFrog 09-13-2013 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by rspi (Post 365372)

When installing the NA throttle body you are still pulling the air through the MAF so you don't need to have a tune. Most of the time you are running on vacuum so what it's doing is allowing less restriction to air flow at that point. It's a little bigger in diameter but after all it is the stock Volvo throttle body that's used on non turbos. Same with the cams. They aren't that radical that the stock ECM won't adjust easily. They are stock NA cams and just allow for a slightly longer period of the valves being open and overlapping due to a stock NA engine requiring a little more time. In a turbo it will likely cost you a little (very little) gas mileage due to the extension of the timing but it rids the cylinder of exhaust better and fills the cylinder more effectively as it has a little more time to do it.

Going with the smooth throttle plate instead of the one with the plastic "lump" gives better response off idle. Being front wheel drive and if you are modified having more response right off idle isn't necessarily a good thing. At the top end it allows for a larger opening and a smoother path as the air doesn't have to go over and under that lump of plastic.

But to really use them you also need to have a free flowing exhaust. Once you have a way out the throttle body and cams make a bigger difference as does a bigger turbo. It's all about increasing it's ability to breath and you need to look all the way from in front of the air filter to exhaust tip.

Tuning can optimize these mods but you need to remember a NA runs these components, throttle body and cams stock and they aren't that different from the turbos.

Chrispy_T 09-14-2013 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog (Post 365431)
Tuning can optimize these mods but you need to remember a NA runs these components, throttle body and cams stock and they aren't that different from the turbos.

I'd have to say that a ~10mm difference in diameter is a pretty big one under the foot. Especially with all that pressure through it.:D Good news is that I found an OE hose at the junkyard in good enough condition for me to use. I stretch fit it to the TB and I was in luck. Bored the mani and slapped it back together with the NA TB using original the "puck plate" and took her for a test run. The difference is astounding off the line, even WITH that hunk in the way. Can't wait to get that snabb hose and 960 plate on!

Kiss4aFrog 09-14-2013 03:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe it is a valuable improvement and it's why I had Rspi grab me a 960 throttle body months back.

And yes when you look at the two next to each other it's a difference but it's one of those things that isn't drastically changing anything the ECM can't compensate for as you are still pulling air through the MAF and it's still calculating the correct dwell for the injectors. So you don't need to "tune" to get an improvement in fun but if you did, you'd get more bang out of it.

If you haven't done it yet you might want to think about going to the 53-55psi fuel pressure regulator unless you're going to go to bigger injectors. Going the 10psi up is like going to one size bigger injectors. I did it shortly after purchasing mine as I had a fuel leak in the line leading from it and as long as I was going in, I upgraded. It's another thing the ECM can compensate for. It just runs the injectors shorter "ON" times to adjust for the higher pressure. It gives you a little more ability to supply more fuel at higher RPMs if needed. I didn't and still don't have any driveability issues or loss of mileage.