Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Volvo 850 n/a manual: Car shuts off after long drive,oil light flickering. Plz help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 850 n/a manual: Car shuts off after long drive,oil light flickering. Plz help?

Hello guys!

My 1994 850 manual. non turbo is a nice clean sweetheart with a pampered 240k miles. just lately, after a longer, say 30 minute drive in the hot 105 degree texas heat, the car shuts off by itself when you get to an area where you need to decrease your speed or rpm. Then, when you turn the car on again, the engine runs a tad rough and the oil lights starts fLickering. after you leave the car alone and let it cool down for say 30 minutes the problem goes away and the car starts acting normally again. This problem just recently started happening when the temperature in austin is unbearable. im thinking it has something to do with heat, but my temp needle shows on halfway and the car seems happy and not overheating. oil pressure is ok also I think... There is plenty of oil shooting up when I open the oil cap at idle anyway... This SAME EXACT scenario has happened twice today...

Do you fine folks have any insight into what the problem could be? My 240 is currently being painted and my wife and I are sharing the 850. it would suck to be down to zero cars. can you guys help?

Many thanks! by the way, I am registered under the screenname rodrahmani but sore some reason my password or replacement password wont work. any ideas?

I really appreciate the help!!