Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

.....What in the ______....?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey rspi,that substance does not really mean the oil has not been changed..just means that condensation has mixed in with the oil on the dipstick...letting the oil get hot and burn off moisture will most likely solve this problem.still a good idea to change oil if your friend does not know the last time it was serviced.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I guess I'm still from the old school that says if there is anything in the engine other than oil, run. Also, it can be tough buying things from friends. Especially if you value the friendship. I did it once but I could keep it disconnected. When dealing with friends you don't want them to think you are taking advantage of them by asking them to lower the price. Then they don't want you telling them when things go wrong with it because they think you may be blaming them for the problems with the car.

When I did it a few years ago, I simply paid his price and never told him about any of the problems, which were few (a '960). Until I totaled it. lol

Old 04-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going from all the discussions here,
All I understand is that nobodymentioned that this is a very common problem in these cars typically driven for short trips in cold climate. Just cleaning the gunk in the dipstick tube during the oil change by pouring some oil thru the dipstick hole while the oil is draining down the pan and filling the engine with new 10w30 regular (for summers) will fix the problem.

Another way to check if its not the gasket is to monitor the coolant quality and level for couple of hrs of drive. if you have a blown head gasket, you will definately see the loss of coolant or contamination of coolant (gunk). But since you mentioned that the car is a daily driver and your friend is not adding coolant daily or weekly, You should be good to go. Another thing worth checking would be PCV system - Just warm up the car and remove the dipstick while the engine is running and see if there is any steamy cloud puffing from the dipstick tube - If Yes, then it needs the PCV job done otherwise you are good to go.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bestharry
Going from all the discussions here,
All I understand is that nobodymentioned that this is a very common problem in these cars typically driven for short trips in cold climate. Just cleaning the gunk in the dipstick tube during the oil change by pouring some oil thru the dipstick hole while the oil is draining down the pan and filling the engine with new 10w30 regular (for summers) will fix the problem.

Another way to check if its not the gasket is to monitor the coolant quality and level for couple of hrs of drive. if you have a blown head gasket, you will definately see the loss of coolant or contamination of coolant (gunk). But since you mentioned that the car is a daily driver and your friend is not adding coolant daily or weekly, You should be good to go. Another thing worth checking would be PCV system - Just warm up the car and remove the dipstick while the engine is running and see if there is any steamy cloud puffing from the dipstick tube - If Yes, then it needs the PCV job done otherwise you are good to go.

+1

Also replace the dipstick o-ring on the dipstick as well as the one where the dipstick tube goes into the engine. Should help with keeping the condensation out.