Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

What the best way to stick the ceiling upholstery

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 06:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the best way to stick the ceiling upholstery

I had my car detailed a couple weeks ago and they cleaned everything and the fabric on the "ceiling" started to flap

Old 12-20-2008, 06:37 AM
Default RE: What the best way to stick the ceiling upholstery

3m makes a headliner/ interior adhesive you can use. It shoots out like a spray and it becomes tacky. You can buy that at Pepboys or just about any parts store.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:41 AM

I am going to 'chime in'...This is just one of the problems I resolved on my Car
Before:

After:
This is one of the repairs there is just no 'short cut' for. Do it go all the way otherwise you will constantly be fighting it.

There are 2 very good adhesives...as a previous poster said, the 3M stuff I believe it is 90 the last 2 digits of the part number or Loctite headliner adhesive. Both from what I understand work great...I used the Loctite...

for the repair, actually pretty intimidating but really not that much to it.
1. remove the headliner, (drop the assist handles, pull the trim off, pull the visors, I just cut the wires down the a post a little so I had a place to solder them and tape em back in place, take the headliner out through the front door, try not to bend it to much but if you do, no biggie) and you will have to bend it some...

Headliner out, pull all the fabric...now there is a 'foam backing on the headliner, get a very stiff brush, and rub it off, it is a little messy, but get it 100% off, go to the fabric store and get something you like. I didn't go 'wild' so I got some microflece, a little bit heavier than stock...I thnk the material cost me $15 or $20. Trim the material so you have slight overhang (1-2") around the edges...do not cut the sunroof opening yet...

after the headliner is clean and dusted off, take it to a 'warm place' say around 70 a good warm basement was ideal for me...lay the headliner down and the material right next to it, get a partner to assist you...follow the instructions on the adhesive, I sprayed it all over the headliner making sure to pay attention that I did not miss a spot...and hitting the sunroof opening and the assist handle openings double, With the help of your partner, both pieces covered in adhesive (not enough to soak through), and pieces being allowed to set for a min or two, begin laying the fabric in place. Make sure you have edges remaining, then press the fabric in place rubbing with your hands over every inch of the headliner pressing firmly, Allow it to 'set up for about an hour, and repeat the pressing. Take it to another spot in the basement or flip over your workmat...now around the sunroof opening cut the material so you have 2" all around. put a cut in each corner coming to within an inch of the corner, don't worry the material will stretch nicely.

Repeat the adhesive around the sunroof opening,same way both pieces and allow it to 'set up' rub it in firmly. Then, cut all the openinngs for the visors, handles, etc... at this point I let mine setup overnight.

Reinstalled it to this

Before:

After:

Good Luck!

Old 12-20-2008, 08:17 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing (3M) adhesive failed on me mere a few days later. I then tried the Loctite version and it never failed on me. They are in the similar price range so I would vote for the Loctite version.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 12-20-2008, 08:34 AM

Hey JPN...I knew I heard about the loctite from someone :-)...thanks man holdin up great so far!!!

Old 12-21-2008, 04:54 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

No prob. Glad to hear yours is holding up well!

JPN

Old 07-07-2010, 05:43 PM

I finally started on replacing my headline. Can I remove the headliner without having to remove the sunroof? The fabric on the sunroof is great

Old 07-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In order to remove the sunroof mechanism you have to remove the headliner. If you're solely referring the sliding piece that covers up the glass, that piece comes out the roof and sits inside the sunroof casing. Not attached to the headliner at all. The only part you have to remove is the trim that holds the headliner to the sunroof. And be careful, it's pretty fragile.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:01 PM

so in other words I can remove the headline without having to remove the sunroof cover?

Old 07-07-2010, 07:41 PM

yeah.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 07-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

My daughters roof liner is coming loose above the back seat area in the bump, S70. Do you think I can fix that or just replace all of the material?

Old 07-08-2010, 03:56 PM

Just replace all of the material. The stuff is so old it like deteriorates. Also, when you replace the headliner, make sure to scrape off ALL of the old foam, and either apply new foam or get the special headliner fabric that already has foam on it, otherwise you will have a poor surface for the adhesive.

Name:  DSCF1898.jpg
Views: 2298
Size:  85.5 KB

Name:  DSCF1906.jpg
Views: 2748
Size:  194.1 KB

Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 PM

I broke the trim that holds the headline in 3 places. I hope super glue can fix it. I'm looking at the loctite products online.Can you tell me which product to buy? http://www.loctiteproducts.com/contact-adhesives.shtml

Old 07-08-2010, 09:05 PM

I highly doubt, actually, you're not going to be able fix it. Better to source another one. The piece needs to have some flex in it to "snap" back in place, once it's cracked it won't have that flex, and super glue will just create weak points where it will break again when you try putting it back in.