Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

What if..?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What if..?

Here's the scenario: my '95 855 wagon's N/A engine is getting tired; still runs good but starting to burn considerable oil. I bought it at around 130K mls and POs didn't really take care of it too well.

I love my 855 N/A wagon (has Bilstein TCs all around and IPD sways) but would really like to replace it with a clean 1995-1997 855 turbo wagon, '97 855 GLT, '98 V70 GLT, or '98 V70 turbo. That's it; not interested in any other models or MYs. Preferably it would have < 120K mls on the clock.

With those constraints my shopping options are very slim most of the time; been watching CL every day (practically) for over two years now. Half the time when I do see a prospect, the seller won't even return my email or phone msg; the car is gone immediately.

So here's what I'm thinking; please talk me out of it or tell it's doable. What if I buy a '95 850 turbo sedan (can pick one up for $1500 w/over 160K mls), rebuild the engine, then put the engine (including wire harnesses as necessary, ECMs, TCMs, gauge cluster, etc.) into my 95 855?

Yeah it would be a lot of work but my main question is would the car be EPA legal? We have smog inspections here every two years but they don't even pop the hood on this model; they do a quick tailpipe sniff and as long as there are no codes set, O2 sensors and cat are working, you're good.

This would get me to my goal of having the ultimate sleeper and no sunroof!! Did I mention I hate sunroofs (rattle traps that leak water IMO)? The turbo and GLT models all seem to have sunroofs.

Comments please..

Old 11-27-2012, 01:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like way too much work to me. If you want to swap stuff, but a 855t that meets your requirements and swap the stuff you want to keep from your current car onto it. it'll probably take less time and be a much smaller pain in the *** than converting your car to a turbo.

Edit: 855T may be scarce where you are, but look elsewhere around the country - I see them for sale all the time around here.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I purchased both of my 850's over 1,200 miles away. I agree that a turbo conversion is not worth the effort.

Troll around town and leave notes when you see the 855's parked. You may get one real quick like that. I talked to a dude the other day that got a straight 855 R for $50. Towed it home, serviced it, and he drives it daily.

As for sun roof's, that's just part of the package. Kinda like women and having to listed to them talk about nothing (silence is just not an option). I've never had a sunroof make noise, just a small leak here and there that took about 1-1/2 hours and a little silicone to fix.

Last edited by rspi; 11-27-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Administrator
Old 11-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a lot of work but it should be possible. Biggest problem I would see is the wiring harness, changing them out.
As for emissions it shouldn't change them at all. You'll need the downpipe off the donor vehicle to hook up with the turbo but otherwise it's just a matter of switching over parts.

I've never seen anything on someone actually doing it but I would think someone had. I'd try to find someone who's done the swap. I'd really have to love the car I have though not to just swap out good parts from it onto the "donor"

If you tackle it that would make an interesting write up.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
That's weird; same car here:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...erTypes=b&mmt=[VOLVO[850[]][]]&modelCode1=850&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&driveCode=2 WD&showcaseOwnerId=43108144&startYear=1995&makeCod e1=VOLVO&engineCodes=5CLDR&searchRadius=0&bodyStyl eCodes=WAGON&listingId=334148033&Log=0

Last edited by gdog; 11-27-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
It's a lot of work but it should be possible. Biggest problem I would see is the wiring harness, changing them out.
As for emissions it shouldn't change them at all. You'll need the downpipe off the donor vehicle to hook up with the turbo but otherwise it's just a matter of switching over parts.

I've never seen anything on someone actually doing it but I would think someone had. I'd try to find someone who's done the swap. I'd really have to love the car I have though not to just swap out good parts from it onto the "donor"

If you tackle it that would make an interesting write up.
Here we go:
Successful 850 N/a To Turbo Swap....yes, It Does Run And Drive, Quite Well I Might Add! - Performance Modifications - Volvospeed Forums

Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There have been a few successful swaps gdog. The question is how much time and labor are you willing to give to doing this. The value of the car will never be worth the labor. Have you given any thought to picking up a turbo with a blown head gasket? I mean honestly, I am about a cheap as it gets. I dont own any new cars, they are all volvos, a truck and a van. I did not pay over $550 for any of the last three volvos I bought. Two with blown head gaskets and one had a bad relay. The point here is the two with blown head gaskets cost me about $125 to repair (Wrecker head and gaskets). These cars are wonderful and drive great. You are going to be taking on a project that will be daunting by going after a N/A to Turbo swap. Thats my opinion, not worth it.

I dont need it but I would not hesitate to get this car.
1999 Volvo V70

My fleet:

Name:  15DE9F27-E2DF-4672-A0B0-AE41A965CBDD-1462-000000E50B0998E1.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  287.8 KB

Old 11-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Ok, BoxPin, why do you get and install heads from the JY when you have a blown head gasket?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Because the head is warped and its cheaper to get another head from the wrecker than to have the head milled here. Believe me, I tried. I took both heads to a machine shop and they said they were warped so bad that milling would flatten the head but the cams would be under constant stress because of the bend in the head. Milling here cost $85 if the head were good but the wrecker head is $50.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by boxpin
There have been a few successful swaps gdog. The question is how much time and labor are you willing to give to doing this. The value of the car will never be worth the labor. Have you given any thought to picking up a turbo with a blown head gasket? I mean honestly, I am about a cheap as it gets. I dont own any new cars, they are all volvos, a truck and a van. I did not pay over $550 for any of the last three volvos I bought. Two with blown head gaskets and one had a bad relay. The point here is the two with blown head gaskets cost me about $125 to repair (Wrecker head and gaskets). These cars are wonderful and drive great. You are going to be taking on a project that will be daunting by going after a N/A to Turbo swap. Thats my opinion, not worth it.

I dont need it but I would not hesitate to get this car.
1999 Volvo V70

My fleet:

Boxpin, you suck!! With a "fleet" like that I am totally envious!! What do you do; wake up in the morning and think, "Hmmm, wonder which one I'll drive today.."?

Thanks for the link, but again, not interested in a '99 MY.

And maybe I didn't emphasize it in my original post but around here it's turbo wagons are in short supply; especially clean ones. The turbo sedans are, by comparison, quite plentiful. So my idea was to get a beater sedan on the cheap just so i had all the electrical/mechanicals i would need for the swap.

Last edited by gdog; 11-28-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by boxpin
Because the head is warped and its cheaper to get another head from the wrecker than to have the head milled here. Believe me, I tried. I took both heads to a machine shop and they said they were warped so bad that milling would flatten the head but the cams would be under constant stress because of the bend in the head. Milling here cost $85 if the head were good but the wrecker head is $50.
So you don't send the JY heads to the machine shop? (Damn dude, you are a penny pincher).

Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Heck no. Checked for warpage. Pull all the valves, clean everything. Lap the valves, new stem seals and its ready to go.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Dang, you are da man.