Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

What to look for when buying a used 850?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for when buying a used 850?

Hi,

I'm new to the forums & the "Volvo World", but am an experienced automotive enthusiast and belong to multiple online forums & communities. I do my own repairs and/or upgrades, so tools and getting greased up are not new to me either... LOL.

Anyhow, I'm looking for a daily driver to replace my daily driven Bronco (aka: gas guzzler). I've heard on multiple sites that I belong to that the Volvo is a decent, reliable daily driver.

I have my sites set on the 850 series - more spcifically I guess the GLT model (turbo or non-turbo).

When looking at used examples prior to purchasing, what are certain common areas or possible problem areas I should be examining on these vehicles? I mean, besides the common or occasional oil seepage, oil leak, or trans leak- or for that matter, any type of fluid leak... What do I look for as far as interior functions, drivetrain functions, transmission functions, etc....?? Are there certain aspects I need to be concerned with?

I don't need guidance on things such as fluid leaks or body damages, body rot, CarFax, etc.... I know those are the obvious...

Any help is appreciated. I found a 96 GLT non-turbo which seems to be in decent condition...

What are the going rates for used examples?

What type of gas mileage do these 850's get - when normal driving of course (not pedal to the metal)? Are they all inline 5 cylinders?

What's the overall accumulated mileage to expect if maintaining the vehicle (fluid changes, hardware reaplcements, etc)?

How are they if needed to drive in the Winter months? More so, I guess, how well does that "Winter" trans button work?

Are these engines using a timing belt (rubber) or a timing chain? If belt, what is the service interval?

Are these engine interference engines (meaning if the timing belt goes, will the engine implode)?

I've owned a Land Cruiser, a 70 Caddilac, Jeep Wrangler, 17 Mustangs (and currently own a 1994 Cobra which was used by NITTO tire company in an ad), a 1995 BMW M3, a 1987 Bronco, my current 94 Bronco and a current 2004 Explorer. I can open any shop manual or go to any online site and fix things, but I'm just looking for some pointer when looking at a used Volvo, being I don't know a thing about them (yet)...

Thanks fellas!

Old 12-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What to look for when buying a used 850?

Going rates are different based on condition, location, dealer involvement, etc. Check NADA or Kelly Blue Book (both have web sites to get information). This will give you a better idea of values.

The gas mileage should be in the mid 20's up to close to 30 for highway driving. They are all inline 5 cyl. models.

It is not uncommon to get well in excess of 200K with proper maintenance.

Front wheel drive so winter driving is easier. The W button puts the transmission in 3rd gear to reduce slipping when taking off.

They use a timing belt. Regardless of what the Volvo manual says about intervals you should change every 70K.

They are interference engines so you will usually bend some valves and possibly do head damage, which is why having the timing belt changed more frequently is recommended.

The biggie in problems is that the ABS module is guaranteed to go bad. It's not a question of will it go bad but of when. However, you can send it off to have it rebuilt which is fairly inexpensive ($90 - $120ish).

Finally, these are very safe cars, 4 wheel anti lock disc brakes, front and side airbags, and Volvo's reputation for safety. It's one of the main reasons I bought one for my son.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If at all possible, get a turbo. It's the only way to go. My wife and I own a '97 850 GLT (low pressure turbo) and we love it! We average 18-20mpg in town and have gotten as high as 30mpg highway. 850's are fantastic in the snow, even with just a good set of all-season tires.

Our's has been very reliable. The only drawbacks being slightly more expensive routine maintenance, but it's worth it when the engine goes 200k no problem, and as was mentioned, your ABSmodule is guaranteed to fail. The good news is, you can still drive the car with a bad module, you just don't have traction control or ABS. Ours has been faulty for over a year now, and we haven't had any driving issues with it. We'll send it out to be fixed as soon as the snow is gone and the garage warms up. Oh, and the evaporator for the AC system is costly, but that's a minor thing. We're actually used to not having AC now. haha.

We love the way it looks too. Instead of "Slug Bug" like many people play when driving around, we play "Volvo Slug" because you just know a Volvo when you see it.

I would recommend an 850 to anyone, well, 850 of any turbo variety.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:47 PM

My '93 has been plagued with electrical problems. If I use the windsheild wiper fluid sprayer, my wiper blades don't turn off, ever. The Electronic climate control is weaksauce (replaced blower motor, resistor, and head unit), the wiper blade constantly comes loose and i Have to retighten the damn bolt that holds it down (I keep a 13mm wrench in the glove box that doesn't open).

Otherwise, it has 278k miles and its still running. My experience on these forums thus far has pointed out that 1993 is not the best year for this car since it is the first FWD model Volvo ever produced, and also their (or one of their) first years with a lot of electrical options.

Its safe, it runs for a long time, but maintenance is huge, and since I bought this solely as basic transportation in the winter months, I opted for non-turbo to avoid the noted issues with the oil cooler and cooler lines.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Cobra Jet

Hi,

I'm new to the forums & the "Volvo World", but am an experienced automotive enthusiast and belong to multiple online forums & communities. I do my own repairs and/or upgrades, so tools and getting greased up are not new to me either... LOL.

Anyhow, I'm looking for a daily driver to replace my daily driven Bronco (aka: gas guzzler). I've heard on multiple sites that I belong to that the Volvo is a decent, reliable daily driver.

I have my sites set on the 850 series - more spcifically I guess the GLT model (turbo or non-turbo).

When looking at used examples prior to purchasing, what are certain common areas or possible problem areas I should be examining on these vehicles? I mean, besides the common or occasional oil seepage, oil leak, or trans leak- or for that matter, any type of fluid leak... What do I look for as far as interior functions, drivetrain functions, transmission functions, etc....?? Are there certain aspects I need to be concerned with? I'm sure you know all about the regular things to take a look at. One thing you want to check out is the PCV system and make sure it's sucking in. Unscrew the oil cap and see if it's rattling and remove the dipstick to see if smoke is coming out. Also put a piece of paper over the tube to make sure it's not flapping.

Other than that, I think you know what to look at....
Make sure the Timing belt has been done recently too. These are interference engines.

Oh, I just thought of something else. The evaporator (a/c system) tends to fail/leak. So if the a/c isn't working, that's probably why. There is a sticky at the top regarding the procedure.

I don't need guidance on things such as fluid leaks or body damages, body rot, CarFax, etc.... I know those are the obvious...

Any help is appreciated. I found a 96 GLT non-turbo which seems to be in decent condition...

What are the going rates for used examples? It varies widely. Perhaps post up the year/condition/mileage of your car. In general, they are cheap compared to the Japanese cars.

Unless it's an R or has rediculously low mileage, don't pay over 5 grand for one imo. Of course, it depends, if you're set on that car, then go for it.

For reference, I got my '95 Turbo w/ 124k for 3500. It needed some minor repairs here and there, but nothing major.

What type of gas mileage do these 850's get - when normal driving of course (not pedal to the metal)? Are they all inline 5 cylinders?
They are all I5. Mileage varies depending on vehicle. I'm getting around 20-22 with mostly city but lately, it's dropped quite a bit (cold weather maybe?). But I have read about people getting up to 30 on the highway.

What's the overall accumulated mileage to expect if maintaining the vehicle (fluid changes, hardware reaplcements, etc)?
It will run forever. Seriously. The common saying is that the car itself will fail before the engine/transmission does. If you maintain these cars well, they will reward you.

How are they if needed to drive in the Winter months? More so, I guess, how well does that "Winter" trans button work?
They are like any other FWD car. The best is if you have snow tires. I had them last year (my sidewalls were cracking) and now i'm running all-seasons and the difference is dramatic.

The cars have an option for traction control (I think it was part of a winter package upgrade) and the "winter mode" merely puts the car in 3rd gear. This prevents the wheels from spinning out.

On more thing about the winter. Seat heaters are great!

Are these engines using a timing belt (rubber) or a timing chain? If belt, what is the service interval?
Timing Belt, 70k.

Are these engine interference engines (meaning if the timing belt goes, will the engine implode)?
Yes
I've owned a Land Cruiser, a 70 Caddilac, Jeep Wrangler, 17 Mustangs (and currently own a 1994 Cobra which was used by NITTO tire company in an ad), a 1995 BMW M3, a 1987 Bronco, my current 94 Bronco and a current 2004 Explorer. I can open any shop manual or go to any online site and fix things, but I'm just looking for some pointer when looking at a used Volvo, being I don't know a thing about them (yet)...

Thanks fellas!
At the top of the forum are a couple stickies. Read them over because there is a lot of good information. Especially for a first time buyer.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:27 PM
jmd

Basically, the better maintained and taken care of, the better. That's true with all vehicles, but from what i've heard and experienced, it's especially true of older Volvos. Most everything has already been mentioned, but i'll chime in on a couple of points.

For starters i've just recently bought a '96 850 turbo wagon. I got it for $4100 and it needed new front tires. Otherwise it's in almost perfect condition. Beautiful interior, very nice outside (except a couple minor flakes and scratches on the front), and came with a 3" stack of receipts going all the way back to the original owner. The A/C tends to have problems and they're also known for throwing engine codes that can be very hard to address. I get about 22 mpg or so around town and more like 28 on the highway. I can't think of a better car for winter...mine has heated seats, the automatic climate control is very good (waits for heater core to warm up before the fan kicks in), and the FWD in winter mode works very well.

They're also pretty good handling cars, and the turbo ones can be downright fun. I'm used to a 360hp RX7 as a daily driver and still get a kick out of my turbo wagon (recently bought as a more family/work friendly car).

I've heard people say that these cars take about $1k worth of maintenance every year, but if you do it they'll last you forever...and i believe it. Mine has 142k miles on it and i expect it to go to 200k without too much trouble.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:12 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

https://volvoforums.com/m_48928/tm.htm

Welcome to the forum,

JPN

Old 12-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

I would stay away from the 93 model since it was the first year the 850 was made. The GLT does not have a turbo until 97 when they put a low pressure turbo in that model. I would not get anything less than that, unless you find something in the $2,000 range.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

We have one for our son (17 year old) and are so impressed we are looking for a nice used one for our 15 Yr old.......'nuff said!

Old 12-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Psaboic. That's exactly what we did. I liked my S60 so much that we bought a 96 850 for my son.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:22 PM

I have had mine for 3 years its a 93 and have had problems but not too bad. One thing everyone failed to mention is that in 93 volvo first used the 5 cylinder engine and still uses it today in most of their cars. Im confident in mine and I have 204k, couple problems here and there but like I said nothing major. I run mobile 1 and it seems like it runs better than before. I also use synthetic brake fluid that exceeds dot4, valvoline brand.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:54 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I failed.

BTW, do you cell sell phones, or wait, is it "do you sell cell phones"? Modern words are too complicated for me[8D].

JPN