Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

what size rims and wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what size rims and wheels

i dont know what the best size to get is i want my wheels partially in the wheel well (top part) but im not up on that stuff which are the best size - im going to order bilsteins front and rear with 1.5" drop - so the right size rims would be cool im thinking 18's

Old 02-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally think 17s are the right size for 850s. And just FYI, Bilstein HDs are known to actually raise the front of the car ~1/4".

Old 02-06-2010, 03:01 PM

thanks Gilber 33 but that didnt tell me a whole lot - are you going to tell me what the best shocks and stuff are for the 1.5 drop or did you just tell me that and leave me hanging for the fun of it -- usually when i ask for advice i kind of expect the respondant to tell me what they use or what they think is the best for the job -- ya kno wot i mean??

Old 02-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well what performance are you looking for? I would go for Bilstien TC's or Boge

Old 02-06-2010, 05:29 PM

Yeah, it's what you want to do. I"m not going to tell you what kind of suspension you want. You asked what size wheels you should get, and I said 17s, you didn't ask me what kind of suspension you should get. If it was up to me, I'd get coilovers. Next best option would be Koni yellows, after that I would say Koni FSDs, after that probably Bilsteing HD and then Bilstein TC. Bilstein TC are fairly similar to OEM, I'm guessing they're a bit stiffer. I've seen once car with awesome stance that was running koni yellows in front and oem shocks in rear with IPD springs. I will probably be running koni FSD in front, oem shocks in back, and FCP sport springs. Or depending on how soon I want to do my suspensions, I may just get FCP's suspension kit that is OEM shocks/struts paired with they're lowering springs. That will probably give me a 1.5-1.7" drop, but the ride quality might not be up to par with an aftermarket sport shock/strut.

What kind of ride quality do you want? Koni Yellows are adjustable, you can tune the firmness and softness of them to your liking. Bilstein HDs are known to be extremely stiff. My guess the Koni FSD are right in the middle compared to oem and HDs. Is this going to be your DD? You might want to consider if you want to feel every crack and pebble laying in the road, or if you want a nice smooth ride that's a bit sporty. It's all up to you, tell us what your looking for other than you want to be lower, because there are limitless possibilities with suspension.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 AM

thanx for the response sorry if it sounded a bit harsh see now youve given me some choices for suspension since im a noob at pickin - id like a stiffer ride i dont want a floating car if you know what i mean by that --ill be using the car for more speed - so i would figure on a stiffer ride - wouldnt you?- thanks man - you really broadened my chioces now - soo coool!! i want low fast and firm and a nice set of 17'z

Old 02-07-2010, 10:15 AM

I would go with Koni Yellows then. The most adjustable strut before you go to coilovers. The guy I talked to that has Koni Yellows up front, oem in the back and IPD springs and he says he loves it.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Well here is my stance on mine with the setup I have.
I have weitec front struts and their lowering springs. In the rear I have OEM new shocks and H&R lowering springs. I love the ride it is a little stiffer but still rides about like OEM.
I was expecting to have a real harsh ride but it is far from that.
I am also running 215/45/17's

Old 02-08-2010, 06:21 PM

beautiful ride bro -- this is the style im looking for and i want to do the single wiper system but cant find a motor and all that stuff for volvo

Old 02-08-2010, 07:03 PM

itll be a DD but id also like a stiffer ride for freeway roll basically i want it to loo like this - you see how the wheels go up into the well and it just looks so sleek and straight - i dont want the *** up in the air like it is now --thats what i would like to see as my car -- as for suspension im looking for firm but not like the flintstone mobile - i dont know dont know if that makes any sense at all ( too many cans of ether to clean the engine i think )woot
i like the idea of adjustable bilsteins with lowering springs front and rear yellow front ( same for rear or different?) im going to be ordering the complete rebuild for the front end from FCP in 2 or 3 weeks but i gotta see if they will swap the shocks that come with it for the bilstein yellows-- and ill order the koni lowering springs too while im at it for front and rear

Old 02-08-2010, 07:04 PM

ya need to try to buff out that owwwie on the spoiler bro gorgeous otherwise --- wanna swap cars when im done?? tha big grease stain on the driveway --- did you work on your volvo there lol -mine has the same birthmark lmfao

Old 02-08-2010, 07:25 PM

Bilsteins aren't adjustable, the Koni Sports are the adjustable ones, the Koni FSDs are just sport springs/shocks. Bilstein HDs are the yellow ones I think your talking about, and those paired with lowering springs will probably leave you at stock height.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by radio16
ya need to try to buff out that owwwie on the spoiler bro gorgeous otherwise --- wanna swap cars when im done?? tha big grease stain on the driveway --- did you work on your volvo there lol -mine has the same birthmark lmfao
LOL on the driveway. That was when I was working on the stang and swapping the motors and stuff. The car sat there for about 1 year.

No on trading cars!!!

Hopefully soon the bumper will be fixed(Thanks to a tractor trailer tire on !-4 by seaworld it also took the radiator out)
I just found out we have a plastic welder at work

Here is a really funny thing. The pic of the platinum you posted on the last page. That was a pic of when my Buddy owned that car. He sold it shortly after that. Yes it looked super sweet!!!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Here is a pic of that car before the B-pillar got blacked out and those wheels.
Name:  gary028.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  33.9 KB