Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Wrecked The Yellow One Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Wrecked The Yellow One Last Night

If you are going that way you could also try this to help keep it from a salvage title.
Do alot of research online and print everything you find. Get the info on how many were brought to the U.S.
Find all the ones you can For Sale and print the ads. Also if you know some people at the local Dealer have them write a letter if they will about how rare they are and how much they are worth.

In the end you will prove they cannot go by the generic Book value on that car.

The guy I work with had a Platinum his son drove. He got rearended. They wanted to total the car and give him $3000.00 for the car.

He did all the research on them and proved that there was only about 1,200 brought to the U.S. and how much they were still selling for.
In the end they gave him $6,500 for the car. He bought it back for like $500.00 to strip the motor and trans out(Just paid $700.00 for the tranny)

SO do some good research and then they might not be able to total it and it will still show a clean title in the end.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan to do that. It was suggested by the Claims Adjuster with my insurance that I do this also. I'm hoping the adjuster from the other insurance looks at it and says "Is that a yellow T5R?". I remember reading about that happening to somebody either on here or some other board. I have the list that only 185 were imported to US so that's a start right there.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Yes it is a start.
It happened to someone on here. It was Ludeless when the cover came up in the gas station and put a hole in his floorboard.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Good memory. I remember that now too. Looks like I gotta get Justin to fix my signature.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Administrator

I saw something was wrong with it. Hopefully it is easy to fix.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JimKW
Ihave some thoughts for you to consider.
Here in Oregon if you win liability and/or the guys FedEx carrier agrees to liability, then they pay you the amount of the claim to repair the car. You have the choice to have them do the repair (run risk of the total), or take the money offered (amount of claim or amount settled) and then you can perform the repairs in the manner that suits you. This latter option has the sweet smell of not have that damaged titled. Even though the car is a '95, IMO a damaged title is a damaged title and will impact the cars real intrinsic value.

Yes I saw the same comments about the limited # of yeller '95 T5R. I always wanted one as I thought they were unique ( don't car for the run of the mill car). So I would encourge you to pull out all the stops and don't accept a salvage title on your car.

Good luck in all your endevors and may all go well with you.

Ray

Old 01-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Just talked to the FedEx claims guy. He is really just a 3rd party guy acting as a mediator between me and FedEx. He said they reviewed the report and the statements and was willing to offer me 50% of the estimate to get it fixed. I basically said that's not enough. The estimate is $4977 and they offered me $2488. I said I may be willing to meet them half way at about $3500 and if they raise the offer to that amount I would at least consider it. I then said I really do not want to take this to court. In other words I implied that I would take it to court if I had to without really trying to sound like I was threatening them.

I then talked to my insurance claims person and she said that is fairly strange approach and they don't usually get people who counter offer. She is curious as to how they will respond. I will let you guys know when I hear something.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the update I hope they agree to it.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the same kinda deal with my 740T.

My dad was driving it and had stopped in a right hand turning lane, pointed west, turning North onto another road.

His light was RED, but in Florida, right on Red is legal if you stop, and yield right of way to any oncoming cars.

He stopped and looked, the cars across from him of course all had a red light, and the only vehicle in the Nortbound lanes was a pickup IN the left hand turn lane. My dad proceded into the turn and about halfway through...BAM.

The Truck that was driving in the left turn lane went through the intersection full speed and just merged into the thru lane, which is the lane my dad was turning into.

Their truck was a Chevy 3500 Dually, and they were towing a huge flatbed trailor full of car parts and engines.

now, after they hit, the truck continued down the road quite a ways, a good 250 feet.

The truck was packed to the Brim with Non-English speaking mexican day laborers...the Driver had no liscense.

The FR corner of his truck hit the 740 clean in the LF wheel, shattering that gorgeous 5 spoke turbo wheel and ripping holes in the tire, it also ripped the front bumper cover clean off, and pushed in the fender bad, The LF strut was also bent about 10*.

The Dually portion of his truck impacted the LR quarter panel of the 740, took out the tail light side, and busted up the quarter, took out the gas door.

He put on the spare and drove it home, no worries on that.

The cop on the scene gave my dad the ticket...She said that when you turn Right on Red, you give up all your rights. Even though my dad had 2 witnesses stating that the truck approached the intersection IN the turn lane, and blew the intersection ending up in the thru lane on the other side. The cop ignored the fact that the Volvo had 0 rear end damage, which means that my dad was alread mid-turn. The truck driver should have seen the volvo and hit his brakes, however the driver stated via an interpreter " I saw him, I didnt know I didnt want to slow down".

Regardless, he had to pay a 200+ dollar fine, took points on his record, and we still had to fix the car...go figured. The driver of the truck got a citation for driving with no liscence, and someone had to come pick them up and drive the truck. Our guess is the trailer had no brakes, and the truck couldnt slow it down in time for the turn, so he had to go through the intersection...but no one could prove it.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

FedEx did not agree to pay the $3500. They are going to send an appraiser out to look at my car some time next week.

The FedEx driver is saying I ran into him and they are saying we are equally at fault. I do not see how anybody (me in this case) can run into somebody with the side of their car? The is no damage to the front of my car. The initial impact is at the left front wheel area about two feet behind the bumper. The bending of the fender caused the side light to crack and the molding under the headlight to get messed up, but the headlight and bumper was not touched. I am thinking that having their appraiser look at the car might be the best thing.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:31 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

>I do not see how anybody (me in this case) can run into somebody with the side of their car?

With the help of so-called lawyers, anything is possible these days[8D].

BTW, have you thought of posting pics of the damage here? Not that I am saying we could appraise it but someone may be able to do...well...something...

JPN

Old 01-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

FedEx insurance just offered me $3,000 and I am going to take the offer. Since I am doing the majority of the work myself it will not cost me anywhere near that much to fix it, but I still think it's a crappy offer because of a lazy cop.

I talked to a State Trooper yesterday and she (yes a female State Trooper, she was cute too) said I should talke to the sherrif deputie's supervisor and tell how he handled the situation. Said the FedEx driver should have gotten a ticket for Improper Backup and she could not believe he left me in the middle of a dark road changing a tire.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Crappy offer but in a way glad you are getting it settled.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I wish you'd fight it more... that car is rare, and should not be treated like it's a '77 Corolla Hatchback or some garbage... you draw a line in the sand...they do not cross... and they crossed it. F* FedEx and the idiot they employed to back into a lane at night.... just stupid. Any lawyer on your side, and you're golden.

-Dave

Old 01-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

I'm probably going to get the car in the same shape it was before the accident for about $1500. Acutally better shape cause I am putting in Jewel headlights with part of the money. So I did alright.

The cop not ticketing him or filling out a complete police report is what screwed me more than anything. There is no proof whatsoever that he was about three feet in my lane cause the cop did not fill in the place where you draw a picture of the placement of the vehicles. Idiot left it totally blank.

I told the insurance right from the start that all I wanted was my car fixed and I was willing to do a majority of the work myself, and that kind of screwed me over, but I did avoid getting a salvage title on the car. Which was important to me.

I was not going to mess with the insurance company and a lawyer at the same time. Really don't like dealing with either one of them let alone both and I work for an insurance company.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Did the hinges come in yet?

Old 01-21-2009, 02:33 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Some cops are so biased that they should not have become law enforcement officers. Laws need to be enforced upon them. Or the FedEx driver might have been a friend.

>Really don't like dealing with either one of them
Agreed.

JPN

Old 01-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, I got the door all ready to put back on, but I am not strong enough to put it on by myself. Probably going to have to wait for my son or one of my son in laws this weekend to get the doors back on. I just ordered the headlights yesterday. Got the same ones that you have I think. I also took the headlight wiper motors out, so I am going to get the trim pieces with no holes in them. I hate those headlight wipers.

ORIGINAL: tech

Did the hinges come in yet?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Glad you got everything all ready to go. Wish I was closer to give you a hand getting it all done.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Well we got the doors on, but they don't fit too good. The back one is fine, but the front one dips way down in the back. That means the hinges on the pilar were bent some in the accident. We took a small sledge hammer to the hinges and got them back enough to get the door closed so I can at least drive it to the body shop.

It's kind of weird that everything looks lined up when the door is closed, but it drops down quite a bit when it's open. We really can not tell where it's moving. I didn't want them messing with it too much cause if we get it bent back too far the other way, it would be a real bitch to bend it back. I'll just take it to a shop that knows what the heck they are doing. They do the best work in the Columbus area.

Quick Reply: Wrecked The Yellow One Last Night