Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Yet Another central locking problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Another central locking problem...

Hi All,

Just joined and have been searching past posts for an answer to my question, but I have only come up with more questions so hopefully someone can help me out.

97 850 GLt sedan- my daughter's car - who is now away at school to complicate matters somewhat. Using the remote, all locks lock/unlock the way they should- but the remote has started working intermittently- so she has been using the key. The key on the drivers will lock all the doors, but to unlock will only unlock the drivers doors on the first turn, and not unlock the other doors on the second turn- then upon opening the door the alarm sytem is activated - horn sounding, car no start. I got the remote to work to reset once is she has been driving again.

So she has resorted to not locking the car- when she shuts the driver's door closed- it sounds like something is rattling around inside the door and I am 1100 miles away from her so don't have the access to take it apart.

I read in one post where someone mentioned pulling fuse #6 which would disable the alarm and allow the car to be locked unlocked manually- Is this an option? She really just wants to be able to lock/unlock the car- doesn't care about the electronic functions etc.

She can lock / unlock the trunk without affecting the alarm system. Not sure if this is normal operation or not. I also read about using the passenger door but my concern is that if she gets the alarm system activated, she will be stuck and I am in no postion to help.

I also read about getting a new fob and having programmed- but I am looking for something simple if possible.

Sorry for the long winded post, any and all help is appreciated- thanks in advance.

JFP

Old 09-25-2014, 04:20 PM

Don't take this the wrong way but have you replaced the battery in the fob?

This is based on my experience with an aftermarket remote unit installed in my '96.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the reply, not taken in the wrong way at all. Yes, first thing I did was chnage out the battery in the fob. Fob works intermittently, I think it's faulty between the button and contacts inside. Still looking for any help or suggestions to the above if anyone can help.

Thanks again,

JFP

Old 10-03-2014, 11:49 AM

I'd start with replacing the fob. Try a local key shop for an aftermarket (less $$) unit.

Is this an aftermarket unit or factory?

My only experience is with an aftermarket unit. The command start was somehow sticking on and draining the battery (10 amps draw!) overnight. I took the car back to the installer, they wiggle something around with the unit and it's okay until the next time I use the command start. Not much help I know but it the receiver unit might be a place to start if it isn't the fob.

Good luck

Last edited by bctom; 10-03-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:35 AM

On my car (96) when I unlock the door sometimes I have to turn the key extra far (CCW IIRC) to get the computer to recognize the unlock.

This is readily apparent at night. I can unlock the door with the key, but if the interior light does not come on then the alarm will sound off. I have to make sure I turn the key far/hard enough to trigger the light before I open the door.

Not sure what tidbit needs to be adjusted/replaced to fix this.