Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Yet another remote central locking...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another remote central locking...

Hi all

Right, yet another remote central locking problem...

I have a 1995 glt spec 850. Its got the remote locking fobs, and the flashing light on top the dash. I take it that it has its own immobiliser in there sumwhere.

Now, the remote locking has worked since iv had it (nearly 6months) but its not worked for about 5 months. Iv had the fobs apart on numerous occasions to clean up the button contacts and such.

When i lock the doors, the central locking works fine. The dash led never comes on with the doors. Where do i start looking for the prob? The Haynes manual suggests the dealer as he has the all important diagnostic computer.

Anyone any ideas on this?

Many thanks!
Rich

Old 05-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Default RE: Yet another remote central locking...

I assume you are locking the doors with the key. The LED on the dash top is to show that the alarm has been activated. The system fitted to your car only sets the alarm when the remote is used, therefore, the LED will not come on. The immobiliser will not be working either.

As for fixing this it may be that your remote controls are past it. New remotes are available. You need a mortgage to buy from the dealer but they can be picked up reasonably from eBay. However, they have to be programmed by - you guessed - the dealer.

Bill.

1996 850GLT estate.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:31 PM

i have seen a few breakers selling the remotes + the receving unit all you do is swap with your old unit ,think it was seasidevolvo in the uk [ blackpool]hope this is of [sm=helpout.gif]

Old 05-21-2006, 09:44 PM

nice one guys, that clears up y the led on dash isnt flashing.

wots with the ignition off and on 5 times to reset sumthing? what does that reprogram?

has anyone looked inside the remote? its got sum horrible pressure conductor switch... dsnt look good to me!

Rich

Old 05-22-2006, 04:34 PM

Programming a new remote control (GA11 alarm System).

All remote controls which are to be used with the alarm must be programmed at the same time (maximum 4 remote controls).

1. Close all doors, bonnet (hood) and boot (trunk).

2. Switch the ignition on and off 5 times within 10 seconds, leaving it switched on the 5th time.

3. Press one of the two buttons on each of the remote controls.
NOTE The first remote control must be programmed within 15 seconds, and the others at most 10 seconds apart. When the alarm has accepted the code on each of the remote controls the LED lights up with a steady glow for a short while.

4. Turn off the ignition and check the remote controls.

If your car is fitted with the GA11 alarm this should work. It may be worth your while trying to programme the existing remotes before buying on eBay.

Remember there are two different 2 button remotes for the 850. The GA11 remote has the buttons one above the other. The other remote has the buttons side by side.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:52 AM

I've just gotten another remote for my volvo 850, 1994 wagon, with that led on the dash. I bought a new one, that has the buttons vertically aligned, but the 2 original have left-right buttons.

It was on e-bay, and they said it would work with my 850 non-turbo. But I used the instructions above, and it didnt work. My old remotes still work, but not the new one.

Different system? Anyone want to buy a remote for $34 (brand new!)

Old 07-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The part numbers and FCC identifiers must match exactly or they will not work. On the style with the two buttons side by side there are two different versions. The eBay sellers are famous for saying that they will work for everything but they won't.

Look on the back of your existing (working) remotes for the correct numbers.

...Lee

Old 07-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ozark Lee

The part numbers and FCC identifiers must match exactly or they will not work.
On the style with the two buttons side by side there are two different versions. The eBay sellers are famous for saying that they will work for everything but they won't.

Look on the back of your existing (working) remotes for the correct numbers.

...Lee
Very good point Ozark Lee [sm=smiley20.gif].

I almost bought a pair of remotes off of eBay, mine are original and the pads have worn to the point of holes appearing, but after asking the seller to match numbers (learned that here) I never got a reply back so figured that the seller was just out for my cash.

You have to be careful about some of the things that you get off eBay.

I never had any problems
when I bought my coil or starter for The Anvil, but there some things that I wanted but passed on. Glad the key fobs were one of them.

I am sorry to hear that they (fobs) do not work.

How clear were the instructions?

What are the numbers on the fobs?

If you post them you may find a buyer but without them someone else may find themselves in the same predicament.

Help out and be helped out.