Volvo C30 This compact hatchback gives a sporty feel without compromising versatility.

C30 Acceleation through Gear Changing Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C30 Acceleation through Gear Changing Problem

I have a 2009 C30 Diesel which has done 136K miles—bought in July 2014 with high mileage (134K).

In about September I was about 10 minutes into a journey, when I entered a roundabout. When I went to accelerate after leaving roundabout I went into first gear fine and then second gear. As I went to accelerate and go into third gear I experienced very little acceleration while pressing the gas pedal. What happened instead is that all the warning lights came on and then went off. I brought the car to a halt as safely as I could and turned off the engine. After restarting I pulled off and everything seemed fine although of course I was driving very tentatively. Completed the rest of the journey with no issues, although understandably I was very careful with my driving— and didn't exceed 60 mph the whole trip. Didn't really look at rpms while the incident was happening, but the engine definitely wasn't over-revving or anything like that.

After that I talked to various people and did a bit of online research about the incident but could not repeat it.

Then today, the same thing happened three times on a 20 mile journey. Always after accelerating from traffic lights, or coming out of a junction.

Managed to get home—the last ten miles with no issues but then I wasn’t pushing the car at all and thankfully didn't have to stop much. So it’s a Saturday and no garages are open. There is no local Volvo garage so thought I would look online first for help here.

Does what happened to me sound familiar to anyone at all? I love the car otherwise and hope this is not something serious!

Old 11-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What VIDA codes were stored? The car remembers any problems that happen, so you will have at least a chance of figuring out what to do next. A generic OBD2 reader can't access a fraction of the available data.