Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

'07 HardTop Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 HardTop Malfunction

Hello All,
First time posting, First time Volvo owner as well.
Just Got a 2007 C60 T5 a couple days ago. Top was working perfectly this entire time.
Today, I was cleaning the car, and I left the top halfway open to be able to clean the rear window and some other nooks and crannies.
When I went to close the top it wouldn't move and I got a "Top Malfunction Se Manual" message.
I googled it, tried disconnecting the battery, eventually pulled the hydraulic release under the rear seat and with a friend managed to get the top into the DOWN position.
It isnt latched,but is driveable despite the incessant beeping.
Dealer said $135 to diagnose, which is applied against any repairs.
I am a pretty good mechanic, capable of rebuilding engines and such, but I have no idea where to start with this issue.
Anyone got any ideas where to start?
TIA

Old 02-21-2018, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 C70 Platinum and have only had one experience with top trouble. Thank goodness I was able to fix it myself.

I had put groceries in my trunk including several 6-packs of Coke Cola. The Cokes shifted and when I put the top down it snagged a 6-pack and slightly bent the C pillar. Not a noticeable bend but enough to trigger a sensor and keep the top from moving again. The bend was on the front of the C pillar where the driver's side rear window touches it. Anyway, I knew something had bent because I heard it. A friend helped me examine the area where the top would have hit the Coke bottles and we found the slightest little bend on an edge. I straightened the bent sheet metal with my hands; it was that easy to bend. There was no crease, just a bend in the sheet metal.

After that she's worked fine ever since. Based on that experience I believe that it doesn't take much for a sensor to disable the folding top. Hope this helps.

Enjoy your C70. Rotate the tires regularly and keep the front and rear aligned. The rear tires have a tendency to wear badly on the inside edges. It's a heavy car on a small car frame so engine mounts and suspension parts wear quickly. Otherwise it's a ball to drive.

Last edited by billshoff; 02-21-2018 at 01:33 PM.