Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

1998 body kit options

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 body kit options

first off, hello everyone! i've referenced/browsed these forums for quite a while, but now it's time to register and contribute.

so, here's my question- as we all know, a body kit for the C70 is like trying to find snow in the desert. so i started thinking.. there's GOT to be at least ONE vehicle already out there that carries similiar enough dimensions that DOES have body kits readily available and so with just a little modification, it could fit on a C70. yes? no? i've been looking at the '99 BMW E46 for the closest match. any thoughts/suggestions? (and yes, i'm aware of the infamous kit on cardomain already. but that's impossible to get.)

thanks, everyone! i look forward to your responses.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:16 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 1998 body kit options

Good luck, but it is going to take a lot of modification to do it.

Your options...

- V70R front bumper
- Custom work

Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 AM

just to clarify- are you saying the V70R is a direct fit for the C70?

otherwise, yes, i'm thinking that if i can find the closest fit body kit from another vehicle, then i'll cut/lengthen/shorten it accordingly to fit my C70. that's why i'm hoping to find another vehicle with at least the closest width/length/wheelbase dimensions to the C70 so as to minimize the amount of modification and custom work necessary.

any other feedback?

Old 08-26-2008, 06:48 PM

A V70R front bumper should fit right on there. 1998-2000 V70R front bumper should fit. I'd look for a 1998.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:34 PM

i'm gonna perform the same major modification soon too. the key is to look through some "MODIFIED" or "TURBO" magazines and just try to find a car that has the samecurve to the front bumper. i noticed that the nissan 240s, R34 skylines and92 honda accords have somewhat of the same curve, but i have to see them in person to pick the best one.

i plan on cutting the factory bumper at the line on the bumper and straight downbefore the wheel wells. then fuse the aftermarket bumper in. can't wait til i'm ready to do this, it will be fun.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:54 AM

ORIGINAL: PANTYEATR
i plan on cutting the factory bumper at the line on the bumper and straight downbefore the wheel wells. then fuse the aftermarket bumper in.
nice idea. probably less work involved too. but yeah, the R34 should be a good match for a full kit. then, just cut and mold as necessary and it should be a one of a kind C70 let me know how your research goes as well. curious to see which of us gets it done first and how it turns out!

Old 08-30-2008, 01:20 PM

i would be in a hurry to be the first, but i had my mind set on making a custom exhaust to my liking from the turbo back and including a cat.

another thing i was worried about was trying to find a kit that was plastic, so i could go and buy a plastic welder and fuse them together perfectly. i don't think you can plastic weld urethane and ABS, but there are very good bonding epoxies out there that body shops use to repair plastics and stuff.

then i was thinking about how low the kit would hang down since i'm lowered 1.5". the cut of the bumpers would have to be just right with respect to their bodylines cause you want it to look store bought when your done.

as for the rear bumper i think the C70 favors the pontiac GTO. it's nice, but it needs to have a lil more "pop" to it though.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: PANTYEATR

i would be in a hurry to be the first, but i had my mind set on making a custom exhaust to my liking from the turbo back and including a cat.

another thing i was worried about was trying to find a kit that was plastic, so i could go and buy a plastic welder and fuse them together perfectly. i don't think you can plastic weld urethane and ABS, but there are very good bonding epoxies out there that body shops use to repair plastics and stuff.

then i was thinking about how low the kit would hang down since i'm lowered 1.5". the cut of the bumpers would have to be just right with respect to their bodylines cause you want it to look store bought when your done.

as for the rear bumper i think the C70 favors the pontiac GTO. it's nice, but it needs to have a lil more "pop" to it though.
You know I walked by the bosses car yesterday and looked at his front bumper(New S80) It has a nice lip that comes off the bottom.Almost like the splitter in this years nascar car's. But not so big I thought maybe something like that would look nice molded to the C70 bumper. I will see if I can find a pick of a bumper off of one.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Something like that look at the bottom of the bumper.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:07 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any way you look at it you still have a Volvo and an old one at that! A volvo c-70 with front wheel drive weighing about as much as a school bus just simply is not a performance base to begin with. You can dress it up but you still can't take it to the party!! Putting money into a major re-construct for a c-70 is not a smart idea. Why not start with a vehicle that 'speaks' performance? Why not start with at least a 4-wheel drive Volvo?

r.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:13 AM

i agree, it will never be a performance car, but who says you can'tmak it a cool car to drive to shows or around townatleast? who says that you cantmake it a powerful street brusier? it will never be a porsche or even a nissan 350 Z, but every man wants a cool *** car that makes him smile everytime he drives it even when nobody is looking.

these cars with all this hype and popularity around them like the Z and other sports cars have this expensive buy-in and you pay so much for the car that you can't afford the damn mods. then you have to deal with seeing your Z everywhere you go, now your not original. i hardly ever see C70s around unless i go to a volvo dealer. and i like when i go out and people ask me" what is that??" "a volvo??? wow! i didn't know people did anything with volvos!" thats hot!

the point is if you can't get the car you really want then get what you can and make it what you want it to be. it's very hard with these cars, but withoutchallenge in life there is no cause to do anything.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:24 PM
reg

I understand what you are stating...........I purchased my c70 in 02 and did some bits to it....especially to the interior. I have ventilated rotors and stainless lines and etc. but it is no performance auto! My concern with the initiator of this thread is that he wants to put a bundle into this auto and he will get zip out of it at resale time. A Volvo has no resale value. Now a BMW that is a few years old has performance right out of the box and there is a plethora of aftermarket items to not only make it look good but to make it perform even better. I bought my c70 as it looked like a Merc but the Merc had a terrible reputation for falling apart! The Volvo caught my eye as it had a similar body style and they were known for dependability.....................of course I found out when out of warranty that they fell apart rapidly. You may recall that I have a Hartge H-3 that gathers more attention than the old Volvo does.............in fact my wife's Mazda mx-5 gets more attention and out performs the Volvo hands down. All sorts of performance parts and styling parts are available for it at a nominal cost. In short, the cost of making something out of a c70 is simply foolish. However, don't you stop your projects as many of us do enjoy your ongoing thread as you update your c70.

r.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:43 PM

yeah, i got you Reg, and i agree, it is a pain in the a$$ and the wallet to make something out of it. i was even considering selling it for a nissan something,is300, 3000GT, MR2or G35. but i never been a quitter, so lemme see how fed up i can get trying to make this a looker and a performer.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:34 AM
reg

The last iteration of the MR2 is certainly something to build on!! However you have secure employment and have knowlege of auto mechanics which allow you the freedom of 'playing'. I fear for those who may not be so inclined as you and lose money on an old auto that they probably feel they will get their money out of. Well, those are the ramblings of an old 1st lieutenant to a sergeant.

r.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:26 PM

i hear you Sir i'll show everyone here how to have a cool car even if it's a volvo. who knows maybe i'll spark more aftermarket support and maybe wake upvolvo ..........nah :]

Old 09-04-2008, 09:29 PM

To catch up with all the replies... I own my C70 and have no intentions of ever selling. So, I could care less about resale value. I truly enjoy the vehicle but simply want to make it even more unique. This is my whole plan- HID conversion, custom body kit, lambo doors, jet black paint. It's a long work in progress, but someday it'll all be done.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:42 PM

i'm with you bro. i owe like $7000, but my payments are like $230 mo. i need to paint the car cause it has at least 2 different shades of red and a sun beaten passenger fender. so i wanna paint it like laser red from the mustang and haveflat blackgoingover the centercar. i will fabricate a lovered / vented hoodand make a custome body kit as well.

the interior is in need of a major overhaul, the headliner is falling and dropping foam in my eye when i drive with the windows open, the floor pan carpet needs to be replaced and i have a bunch of broken plastics in the car. not to mention the much needed power upgrades and brake upgrades. i have a very long way to go, but i've been here before ;]

Old 09-05-2008, 08:36 PM

Get your HID's from SharpHID, John will take good care of you.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:29 PM

Right on. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:01 PM

I have a 1999 C70 and I want to change the front bumper to the V70 R. But from Experience of anyone here Does it FIT??? and if it dies were could I find one?? obviously I can purchase onefrom the dealer but It costs an eye and half the other one...

[/align]