Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

2010 C70 - Misfiring - Blown engine / head gasket / valves?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2010 C70 - Misfiring - Blown engine / head gasket / valves?

Hello All,

I purchased a used 2010 Volvo C70 (convertible) from a private party a few weeks back.
I couldn't get it fully inspected since the car did not have a registration or insurance on it. It was low mileage, run only 59,000 miles so that was very tempting to me so I risked it, thinking what's the workst that could be wrong with this car? I guess, I couldn't have been more wrong.

When I started driving the car, it had a weird rhythm to it while idling, almost as if the engine wanted to stall but picked back up and kept running.
On the first day of driving it, the CEL came on. My neighbor who is a Volvo mechanic did a DICE check and showed Misfiring codes on 4 out of the 5 cylinders and recommended me to change the spark plugs and iginition coils.

Once all the spark plugs and ignition coils were changed, the misifiring codes went away.... until the next morning when I started the car again, the CEL came back on again.
I immediately took the car to my neighbor's garage and he did a DICE check again and then he said cylinders 1,2 and 4 were showing misfires. He recommended me to take the car to the Volvo dealership.

In the meantime, I did some investigations from the service reciepts I got from the previous owner (yes, I had gotten them when I purchased the car from them) and below were my findings:
  • October 2020 - They had taken the car to the dealership for overheating. The dealership reported the car had no coolant in it. They filled up the coolant, changed all 5 spark plugs, tested and returned the car.
  • March 2021 (after 4.5 months) - All 5 iginition coils were changed.
  • November 2021 (8 months later) - All 5 spark plugs and ignition coils were changed again.
  • Feb 2022 (3 months later) - Midas recommended to change the motor / engine!
This investigation got me worried and I started researching on these forums and a lot of people recommended to do a combustion leak test using the combustion leak tester they sell at Napa. This was to make sure if the head gasket wasn't blown or the sleeves weren't cracked. I was almost sure that the test would be positive and I would have a blown engine, but to my surprise, the test did not detect any exhaust fumes in the coolant.

I ran the engine before hand on the highway for at least 10 miles to make sure the engine was warm, slowly opened the coolant chamber to make sure it depressurizes gradually and performed the test for good 5 mins, but the liquid remained blue.

Then, I took my car to the dealership and as expected, they again suggested that I may have to change the ignition coils since they weren't OEM (turns out my neighbor only put OEM spark plugs not ignition coils to save me some money). I did explain the whole history to them and they insisted that I change the ignition coils to OEM first before they can point the invsestigation to some other problem.

I obliged, and as expected, the codes disappeared the day they chaged the coils, but the very next day the CEL came back on with the misfire codes.

At this point, the dealership is suspecting either of the two things:
  1. Issue with the fuel injectors. Recommended me to change all the 5 fuel injectors to begin with. If this doesn't solve the problem, then it could be problem #2 below.
  2. Leak in the intake and / or exhaust valves. The labor alone to figure this out would run into multiple thousands of dollars, since it involves opening up the motor.
As of now, I am picking up my car from the dealership again while I figure out what my next course of action should be.

Should I even bother getting the valves checked / fixed or just look for a used engine? Any other recommendations on what should I do? It's a sunk cost fallacy at this point...