Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

99C70 Leather Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99C70 Leather Steering Wheel

Hi All:

My leather wrapped steering wheel was feeling sticky and looked a bit dirty so I washed it.

Now it seems like the "Grey Paint" is now soft and sticky. Worse then before.

Has wnyone else expreienced and corrected this problem?

Has anyone removed the leather covering and if so what does the steering wheel look like beneath it?

I was thinking of one of those cheap wrap on covers, but the wheel is so big already I would prefer to remove the leather cover first.

Thanks,
Ron Y
1999 CV70

Old 08-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Default RE: 99C70 Leather Steering Wheel

did u try auto leather cleaner......it helped me a little not perfect but acceptable... anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 08-23-2008, 09:29 PM

lots and lots of patience and elbow grease. Baby wipes work well to get the grime off. After that just as c70turbogt said. Try Meguiar's leather cleaner. You can get it in wipes or spray bottle.
Be patient it will take a long time to get it clean but you'll eventually get it clean.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:22 PM

If you do end up needing a cover, Wheelskins brand are very nice quality leather covers, custom sized to your car's steering wheel. It takes about an hour or so to stitch it on, but the resulting fit is very tight, and they don't look cheap at all.

I have done these on two cars - a Ford Expedition and an old ('59) Corvette (which had an old-fashioned, large diameter with skinny rim steering wheel). In both cases I got a perfect fit.

My only caveat is that if the original steering wheel has variable rim thickness (like two fatter areas for your hands), then it isnot clear to me if the fit will be quite as good. But the leather stretches as you are stitching it on, so I think it does accomodate some fair amount of rim thickness variation.

They offer plain leather, and perforated leather, in both single color and two-color combinations.

From my experience, darker colors will stay nice-looking longer. My Vette one is black, and the solid leather. It looks brand new after several years, although I don't drive that car much. I have used a perforated two-tone one on my Expedition (combo of light tan and a medium tan). These lighter colorsneed cleaning periodically, and I would guess that I'll want to replace it again after 3 or 4 years. (But I put about 20,000 miles a year on that car, and I think my hands sweat quite a bit...)

In any case, these are much, much nicer than the covers you usually see at auto parts stores, with wrap-around vinyl lacing.

Lot's of on-line places sell Wheelskins, but I have always bought them direct from their own website.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:09 PM

if you really wanna go crazy, remove the wheel, strip the leather and foam all off and cut the metal hoop off.find a place that can bend you a new, smaller hoop and weld it in, add some new foam and this wheel skin kit and you'll have a nice, smaller diameter steering wheel. that would be a bad *** sporty look inside the car.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:43 PM

Try Woolite, 6parts water, 1 part wolite. This will get it all the grime build up off. Unfortunately, minewas also left with what seemed ike the "Grey Paint"and it was lilsticky, but it went away after driving a few miles anit definately left the steering wheel looking better than before.I can't believe such poorquality on a Volvo Steering wheel.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: carlos9827

I can't believe such poorquality on a Volvo Steering wheel.
i agree, and i have a alot of ideas for everything thats "poor" quality on this damn thing, but money and resources are my issues. i need a sponsor