Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Another oil leak question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another oil leak question

I have a 2001 C70 convertible with 82,000 miles. Switched to Mobil 1 synthetic at 60,000 miles. Only put about 7,000 miles on the car in the last 12 months since it is now the 3rd auto. I uncovered the car last week and discovered a small patch of oil on the driveway near the front right center of engine (near oil filter). Dealer found the power steering hose was leaking where it connects to the resoervoir. Quoted $200 to fix at which point I got off the floor, went to a parts store and bought a new clamp (the type that tightens with a screwdriver vs the "whatever that thing weas" that came on the hose). No more leak. It only took about 2 ounces of fluid to refill reservoir. Cleaned up the underside of car. Drove the car for 20 minutes or so and parked it. Kept looking underneath and no leak. Great - went inside, came back out in 30 minutes and there was a spot on garage floor about the size of a quarter. Could not locate any oil on bottomof car but the "puddle" wasjust to the side of the oil filter. Came inside, found this forum and read tons of threads regarding oil leaks, oil traps, vent boxes, etc. Twice more I have run the engine for a spell, shut it down checked for pressure relief from the oil filler stick and filler cap ( none that I notice) and waited. It always takes about 15-20 minutes for the few drops of oil to drip onto the floor then that's it - no more. Oh yes, the point where the oil dip stick connects to the engine appears damp but does not seem to have a wet area running down from it. Any ideas????

Old 01-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Default RE: Another oil leak question

I'm guessing since you called it an oil spill. you've confirmed it is indeed oil that is on your floor? Could it be PS fluid drilling off the oil filter canister? if its coming off the oil canister, check to make sure all is well with it. is it secured tightly. I gather there is an O ring on the canister, could that have been damaged, and cause a slight leak?

S.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:02 PM

Good call on your part and maybe a bad use of words on mine. I just went back to the car and checked. Now I am not so sure it is oil. Since the PS reservoir only needed a few ounces to refill it after fixing the observed leak, I simply felt the fluid, saw it was slighly brown and called it oil. When I look at it more closely, it may be a little clearer than my oil. It could well be PS fluid. However, whatever it is isn't dripping off the oil filter cannister - near if but not dripping off it. I considered the O ring but figured it would be actually dripping off the cannister if that was the problem. I have 6,800 miiles on the oil (and even worse - 10 months) so an oil change is on the list for tomorrow. Maybe I will know more then...

Old 01-19-2008, 03:58 PM

Another question in the topic of oil leaks.
My 2000 just recently started showing a few drops of oil under it (yes motor oil) after having been dry for years.
Dealer says its cam seals. What I'm seeing is oil pooling in the cavities on top of the engine (under the top cover).
Would this be where oil would accumulate from bad cam seals?