Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

C70 Convertible top not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C70 Convertible top not working

Just bought a 1999 C70 softtop convertible with a known problem that the convertible does not work. I got a great deal on the car, but I have no idea where to start on the sunroof issue. It is completely unresponsive to the switch, anyone else have this problem and find a simple fix for it? Relay, fuse, switch, motor? Where is the weakest link?

Thanks! Adam

Old 05-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Default convertible top

You MUST have the car in park and the hand brake set. Cb

Old 06-06-2011, 04:10 AM

I want to second this, maybe I'm searching for the wrong things but I joined this forum to try and find a solution to my parents' 1999 C70 that decided to stop raising it's soft top right when the boot was near vertical.. Like adam was asking, is there one thing that tends to go first on this specific model? I've heard about the micro switch issue, can that be tested for resistance or otherwise to check its state? any other tips?

I found the manual cranks and got mine to shut for road use, the two you need are in the trunk and at the front of the soft top in case you hadn't gotten that far.. now to get it working with the switch again..

Old 06-11-2011, 02:55 AM
Default window regulator

i need a new window regulator for a2003 c70 where would be the best place to buy one

Old 06-22-2011, 09:49 AM

To see if it's the switch with out pulling it apart do it at night turn on the interior lights and hit open or close....if the lights dim just a lil...the switch is working....but that is just an SHADE TREE way to check on it!!

For your Regulator....
Look on Ebay...I got one for $300....or a local junk yard...FYI there is only one part for the C70!! eBay will say 850/v70...nope only one for C70

Old 06-24-2011, 08:12 AM

if its not turning on the light at all on the switch double check that the truck switch is working right the top will not move at all if it senses the trunk is open. mine was being a little quirky after i closed the trunk the other night and would not go down till i reclosed the trunk firmly

Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by emeraldcity5
I want to second this, maybe I'm searching for the wrong things but I joined this forum to try and find a solution to my parents' 1999 C70 that decided to stop raising it's soft top right when the boot was near vertical.. Like adam was asking, is there one thing that tends to go first on this specific model? I've heard about the micro switch issue, can that be tested for resistance or otherwise to check its state? any other tips?

I found the manual cranks and got mine to shut for road use, the two you need are in the trunk and at the front of the soft top in case you hadn't gotten that far.. now to get it working with the switch again..
Did you ever get a good response for this or were you able to fix?

I have same problem now.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by rick5457
Did you ever get a good response for this or were you able to fix?

I have same problem now.
...provided the boot is the assembly that contains the rear window...
I found that the switch (passenger side) that activates when the window is in the uppermost position wasn't activating, and the adjustments provided wouldn't make it. I did put a small plastic tube (about 1/4" OD, 1/8" ID) around the pin that act on a lever that depresses the switch. Solved my problem, makes me wonder if there was something like a tube around that pin to begin with.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:32 PM

Please explain this fix a little more. I'm having the same problem. My top is getting stuck when the rear portion of the top is vertical. It seems tied to the rear windows because when I put them down more using the regular window switches, the top seems to start working again.

Can someone explain where to find the microswitches and clean/adjust them?

Old 07-01-2012, 09:42 AM

Mine stopped when the rear (back, not sides) window had risen to the max 'up' position. The rear cover had not yet unlatched, the top had not released from the windshield. The switch/actuator that detected when the rear window is 'up' is located to the right of the rear window in the mechanical assembly. It visible when the rear window assembly is in the up position.

Old 05-29-2021, 05:49 PM

Same here....

Yesterday, after a ride "top down", I wasn't able to close my top... I did the procedure with the tools to close it...

I tried to find information about the cause of my trouble... Ran a copy of Vida DiCE and get some codes :

CAB-120 Convertible top invalid position state
CAB-130 Time condition error in movement
CAB-150 Power supply signal too low
CAB- 213 Front latch switch fulty signal
CAB -314 Cover lock opening current too high

I did a delivery... after the delivery, and the top up position, I put the parking brake and try to open my top... Rear windows went up, then nothing... (you know the sound that the locks produce when it's time to raise the tonneau cover... Nothing !!! no noise)

I reopened it manually, doing the reverse procedure and inspected latches and microswitches... Everything seems correct...

By reopening and reclosing my top manually, I had to run Vida again... This time, I only have the CAB-314 error...

Does someone knows wath I should check?

Old 10-06-2022, 05:47 PM
Default There is an issue to you pulse sensor

There are 14 hall sensors on volvo c70 t5 convertible. They also called pulse sensors when you are buying. My was intalled the wrong way so I looked for the part and it cause $179. Put it the right way and it is now working. I think the mechanism is more on sychronism and the pulse sensor are more on magnetic sensor. The hard part is how to trouble shoot on reactivating it agsin since it is out of siquence. Specially when the top is open
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Simon
Please explain this fix a little more. I'm having the same problem. My top is getting stuck when the rear portion of the top is vertical. It seems tied to the rear windows because when I put them down more using the regular window switches, the top seems to start working again.

Can someone explain where to find the microswitches and clean/adjust them?

Old 11-27-2022, 04:11 PM
Default My convertible top tries but does not release from the windshield.

My top on my 1999 c70 worked fine before I hired a transport to move it across country. Now it won't release from windshield. It tries but no go. I think the settings are out of sync. How can I resync them?

Old 12-19-2022, 10:41 AM
Default C70 soft top steps, not working and help on sensors please

Originally Posted by Dion D

There are 14 hall sensors on volvo c70 t5 convertible. They also called pulse sensors when you are buying. My was intalled the wrong way so I looked for the part and it cause $179. Put it the right way and it is now working. I think the mechanism is more on sychronism and the pulse sensor are more on magnetic sensor. The hard part is how to trouble shoot on reactivating it agsin since it is out of siquence. Specially when the top is open

Dion D or anyone else:

My 2004 C70 soft top will not close fully (top up), only the third function works and goes to end of travel but won't proceed to fourth function and beyond. It opens fully (top down) no problem.

Logically I think the pulse sensor, hall effect or potentiometer for the end of travel signal of step 3 is not working since the motors to perform step 3 continues to try to push past its mechanical stop. So my top is stopping on the way up/closed about 3-4" from windshield.

1 - convertible top rear section with glass releases and pivots to open and fold against main section of top
2 - tonneau cover releases and opens vertically
3 - main top lifts up and out and opens towards windshield (stops about 3-4" from header)
4 - motor in front section of convertible top finishes opening top to windshield and secures locking pins to windshield frame
5 - tonneau cover closes and latches
6 - top rear section with glass pivots and lowers to tonneau latches and tensions down

Does anyone have a schematic, wiring diagram or logic flow with sensor locations so I know what to check?

Anyone have the same issue and willing to share what you learned to fix?

If I need to buy the VIDAS diagnostic software and interface to solve - I will gladly purchase to do this but think it is a hardware issue at this point. Or,, is there a calibration that needs performed through software to verify sensors are being read (signal loss in wiring or component failure)?

Please let me know what I need to buy or order to diagnose, calibrate and fix this.

If anyone in SE MI has these tools, I will gladly rent or if anyone wants to "go in" on them if it is too expensive for a one and done - so we can share - I will do this too. No idea what cost(s) may be for this type of setup.

Last part of data on car is the keys were lost while traveling so the previous owner had a new key programmed to car but no key fob. I am sure the battery went dead before key was programmed to car too... Could this link to anything? I doubt it but you never know in this day and age of electronics. Also - will this VIDAS or whatever setup for diagnostics allow key or key fob programming too?

Thank you very much in advance!