Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Daisy chaning amplifiers - add subwoofer box

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daisy chaning amplifiers - add subwoofer box

I want to link 2 amps (both original volvo AMPS from a C70's) together and usae one to power the normal system and one to power a passive subwoofer box that I'm making to go in the boot.

Has anyone done this? I was thinking that if I can find a DIN cable 'Y adapter' or splitter, that i can just split the feed from the head unit and run into both amps seperately.

Am also hoping that i can do the same with the power supply.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

Old 07-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markjel
I want to link 2 amps (both original volvo AMPS from a C70's) together and usae one to power the normal system and one to power a passive subwoofer box that I'm making to go in the boot.

Has anyone done this? I was thinking that if I can find a DIN cable 'Y adapter' or splitter, that i can just split the feed from the head unit and run into both amps seperately.

Am also hoping that i can do the same with the power supply.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,
You will need to make your own DIN splitter, should cost you about 15$ depending on where you get your parts. Unclear on what you mean with the power supply, but I am under the impression you are describing the ground and power cable. Run a new ground and power cable for the additional amplifier.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:52 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I was going to split the power and earth from the existing amp to power both amps, but will run new power and earth as you recommend.

Will probably struggle to make my own splitter, not very good with small wires or solder guns, was hoping these leads were available off the shelf..

Old 07-28-2009, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I was going to split the power and earth from the existing amp to power both amps, but will run new power and earth as you recommend.

Will probably struggle to make my own splitter, not very good with small wires or solder guns, was hoping these leads were available off the shelf..
Look at this as a way to improving your skill set. You will need a 6pin female DIN plug, 2 6pin male DIN plugs, and DIN cable will be determined by where you place your second amplifier. I would stop by a local car audio shop or a BB and see if they have an old changer cable lying around, probably will get it for a few dollars. This is usually perfect for your application with the audio wires being double shielded.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:46 AM

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.

How would i know what wires to connect to which pins? I've seen some din leads advertised that say they are wired 3 & 5??

Old 07-29-2009, 11:32 AM

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.

How would i know what wires to connect to which pins? I've seen some din leads advertised that say they are wired 3 & 5??
Get your parts first, then ask the question again. I have the info written down in a notebook. A call to the company would be best to clarify what they mean by 3 and 5. 6 pins in total for the amplifier cable.
1 remote turn on
4 positive audio
1 audio ground

Old 07-30-2009, 04:35 AM

Thanks, will do.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Mark

Old 08-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Default RCA Wiring

Hi,

I've got the rca plugs now and some assorted wires with 6 strands in.

Any help with which wires are which within the plug will be greatly appreciated.

I've got a friend who is going to make the cable up for me.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 08-03-2009, 11:12 AM

Hi,

I've got the rca plugs now and some assorted wires with 6 strands in.

Any help with which wires are which within the plug will be greatly appreciated.

I've got a friend who is going to make the cable up for me.

Thanks,

Mark
Your post is confusing. RCA plugs are a different style of connector than the DIN plugs and will not connect to the factory Volvo amplifiers. Also the wire you mention has 6 strands, but you make no mention if it is intended for low signal level audio purposes.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:54 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark............I believe you are getting into something that is beyond you. Perhaps you would be better served by purchasing an Infinity BassLink and bolt it in the boot. I have two autos that I use that product in and the results are excellent and you should not have any issues in wiring it. What say you MKC?

r.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by reg
Mark............I believe you are getting into something that is beyond you. Perhaps you would be better served by purchasing an Infinity BassLink and bolt it in the boot. I have two autos that I use that product in and the results are excellent and you should not have any issues in wiring it. What say you MKC?

r.
I have always been a fan of the Basslink. Smallish and compact w/ adequate sound fill for most listeners. Making the DIN cable adapter is IMO easy provided you have the proper parts to construct said adapter. This same adapter is in my vehicle using 2 of the Volvo OEM amplifiers. If your friend is helping or making the adapter for you is fine, but at least help him/her out by spending a little money on the components and not just use what is available. Depending on the length you need it should look something like this:
Name:  DSC01263.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  13.6 KB

Old 08-05-2009, 05:37 AM

Reg,

I've had a look at the basslink and it looks like a good solution.

Where would i connect the input wires on the basslink to on my car?

Sorry if thats a dumb question, I'm just wanting to make sure that i can connect it up OK!

Thanks,

Old 08-05-2009, 10:15 AM

Reg,

I've had a look at the basslink and it looks like a good solution.

Where would i connect the input wires on the basslink to on my car?

Sorry if thats a dumb question, I'm just wanting to make sure that i can connect it up OK!

Thanks,
Not a dumb question. Ideally it would connect in the same fashion since the audio signal is running through the DIN cable. You could use the hi-level inputs on the Basslink, but since the factory setup is amplified it may be too high of wattage to use(prolonged use may melt it). If your friend was handy you could get a 6 ft RCA cable and cut one end off. This could then be hardwired inside your existing amplifier to send the audio signal to the Basslink. Typing this up, I realize that you could also do the same for adding the 2nd Volvo amplifier. Will not be able to advise you on this method, but I doubt it is hard. Probably once you remove the amplifier, a few small Phillips screws. Remove bottom of amp, 2 plates. Access to wiring where DIN cable connects. Most likley colors they used were red and white. Your friend should be able to handle it from there.
This was the first one that came up in a search:
http://www.volvo-forums.com/t10044-h...-in-my-s80.htm

Good luck.

Last edited by mkc70; 08-05-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:40 PM

MKC70, that cable in your picture is exactly what I am after, this would enable me to run two volvo amplifiers from the original DIN lead would it not?

Would you be prepared to fabricate one for me? I will cover all your costs for materials and for your time my friend has now backed out after I showed him the entire thread, apparantly he's not as handy with a solder gun as he led me to believe.

If you can't help me, any ideas who I could approach to make one for me?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 08-05-2009, 03:58 PM

MKC70, that cable in your picture is exactly what I am after, this would enable me to run two volvo amplifiers from the original DIN lead would it not?

Would you be prepared to fabricate one for me? I will cover all your costs for materials and for your time my friend has now backed out after I showed him the entire thread, apparantly he's not as handy with a solder gun as he led me to believe.

If you can't help me, any ideas who I could approach to make one for me?

Thanks,

Mark
I will check with my buddy to see if he has some DIN cable available, but no guarantee that he has some lying around.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:24 PM

I have yet to find a suitable DIN cable locally, but I did see on Ebay an adapter to keep the factory amp and add an additional aftermarket amp or Basslink.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:23 AM

HI,

I saw a cable on ebay from a guy in the states for adding an aftermarket amp to a volvo headunit but this would't let me add 2 amplifiers together as far as I can see, it would allow me to change the original amp for a different one wouldn't it?

I'd ideally like to keep all the original wiring and amplifier and just add the additional volvo amplifier I have bought to it.

Does the DIN cable I need have a specific name or type? Or do I just need cable with 6 wires in it?

I'm in milton keynes so can try local suppliers etc round here is I know what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all your help so far,

Old 08-10-2009, 04:09 PM

We could probably just use some CAT5 cable since you do not need to ground the outside shield using the factory radio(ground loop problems). I am under the impression that you will run the original amplifier the normal 4-channel, and use the 2nd amplifier in a bridged 2-channel mode. Is this a correct assumption? Plus the length of the adapter needed will be determined by where you are installing the second amplifier.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:42 AM

Yes, I'm going to run the original amp in 4 channel mode and bridge the additional amplifier into 2 channel to run 2 X subwoofers.

I am planning on mounting the amplifier in the boot floor, so 4 - 5' of cable would be more than sufficient.

I have some Cat 5 Networking cable i could send you to use if you're able to make the lead up for me, i can also send you a cheque for the parts and your time along with the cable.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 08-11-2009, 07:28 AM

Yes, I'm going to run the original amp in 4 channel mode and bridge the additional amplifier into 2 channel to run 2 X subwoofers.

I am planning on mounting the amplifier in the boot floor, so 4 - 5' of cable would be more than sufficient.

I have some Cat 5 Networking cable i could send you to use if you're able to make the lead up for me, i can also send you a cheque for the parts and your time along with the cable.

Thanks,

Mark
Realized another problem your are going to have using this setup. Volvo had Alpine remove the crossover circuitry from the amp. So you will need an external crossover to make the subs sound good. This was the adapter I was describing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo...Video#ht_500wt
An additional adapter could be made to make this one go back to a Volvo DIN for the 2nd amplifier after the crossover connection, or you could still add a Basslink.

Quick Reply: Daisy chaning amplifiers - add subwoofer box