Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

ferado brakes

Old 05-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ferado brakes

yo all,

bought a set of ferado brake pads.....dont know about brakes.... was told much better than volvo stock brand.... bought them for about 85 is it worth the money will they last longer and brake better.... please advise..... please also tell me a cheap lplace to get them if u know of one

cheers

Old 05-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: ferado brakes

I am not sure Never heard of them but someone else on here might have.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:35 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The correct spelling is FERODO. They have been on the market for a zillion years. British. They come in various compounds and are a racing and auto cross pad. I have used them for years! I race a BMW and a Austin Healey. I don't know if you really want them for a street Volvo. NAPA sells a fine ceramic pad for your c70. Lastly, I buy my Ferodo pads from a BMW supplier (Korman Auto Works) and he does me a favor and obtains the Healy pads for me. When installing your new pads..........don't forget to spray/apply some CRC anti squeal to the back of the pads!!
REG

Old 05-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so are you telling me its not worth the extra cost... they wont brake better and last longer.... (my volvo does have a good amount of pickup so i thought it might be useful)

thanks

Old 05-25-2006, 10:38 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right. You see, theses are high friction pads and work when they are hot...........hot..............hot!! In other words, when you are cruising the city streets and go to stand on the brakes...........well..........you won't stop. They have to be hot to work. When racing your brakes heat up and hold the heat (the caliper and rotor turn into a heat sink and take the heat away from the pad) and so the brakes work absolutely fine. If you attempted to race with "normal" pads, then the heat will destroy them in just a few laps. That is why I suggested the NAPA ceramic pads. They don't 'powder' up the wheels, they are easy on the rotors, and they have the ability to stop the auto better than the original Volvo pads. Remember............if an auto manufacturer put the best stuff on the vehicle, then the cost would be prohibitive. That is why you have to go after market to get the 'good stuff'. Most new autos use a B temperature and B traction tyre because they are cheap and the gov't allows that. When you go to replace them, install A traction and most important, A temperature tyres. Some sanctioning bodies (racing) will not allow a tyre less than A temperature. If Ford for instance had installed A temperature tyres on their Urban Assult Vehicles, they and Firestone would not have faced the number of law suits and the tyres would not have blown when they are underinflated and over heated. Something for you to think about.
REG