Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Hardtop Sensor Error

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop Sensor Error

I have a 2008 hardtop C70 that is giving me a sensor error and freezing the movement of the top, both in the open and closed position. The error message is intermittent, but never at a good time, and there is a horrible beeping that makes the car unbearable to drive. I've taken it to a mechanic and the dealer. The mechanic says he must remove the entire roof to replace a sensor ($700) and that might resolve the issue. The dealer says he needs to start by replacing the front and middle headliners ($2200), and only then will he be able to diagnose the problem. Does anyone have experience with this? I do not know which one, if any, to trust. Either option seems like a gamble.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:43 PM

Exactly two years after I purchased my 08 C70, I had an issue with an error message "Top is Unlocked" or "Top Malfunction" and a horrific beeping sound that made it unbearable to drive without being embarrassed. I had that issue for several weeks on and off. Each visit to Volvo resulted in a failed attempt to fix the roof issue. Top would get stuck and I could not access the trunk either. I posted about this issue too as did another person who had this issue at the same time, but his turned out to be a failed hydraulic pump or hose for his roof. Mine turned out to be different. I had a frayed wire in the wiring harness and it had to be changed. But they had done the TSb's, then changed sensors a few times until I just left the car and said not to return it to me until it was definitely fixed. Not a big deal to fix, but a big issue to find an answer. It has been 5 years since that problem and it has never returned thankfully. These are not usual problems either. This was an issue in the 07s regarding the rerouting of the wiring harness but was supposedly fixed in 08. Not sure what your error message is. And yes, mine was also intermittent.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:39 AM

IRBRENDA, thank you for your reply. My error messages are exactly like yours and my trunk also becomes inaccessible. Since the car is no longer under warranty, I'm not sure how to proceed diagnosing it without spending thousands of dollars. Any tips out there?

Old 08-27-2015, 10:41 AM

I would probably contact Volvo headquarters directly and argue the point with them that this is an old issue that should not have happened to an 08, regardless of being out of warranty. At my dealer's suggestion, I actually calledl them directly last year because of a dead battery, which was understandable after 6 years of use. However, I was told my cables were corroded too due to the battery leaking, and that was going to cost $800 to repair, which was absurd. I told them it was Volvo's battery and it is their responsibility and their defect! I was not prepared to do that since that should have never happened. I only had 19k miles I think on the car. I too was out of warranty, but they agreed to pick up the cost and it cost me $219 just for the battery. So, before giving up, contact the headquarters. I'd tell them about the issues you read here. Like I said, I have not heard of anyone having that issue since me and the other poster in 2010. Be nice but firm.