Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Looking at a C70 Convert clean 2001 with 66k miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a C70 Convert clean 2001 with 66k miles

What questions should I ask the dealer on the car? Seems like a nice car, but I need to know what to ask. Also for some reason the driver sun visor broke, he has the part on order, but is there a problem with these on the Volvo.

Also when I close the drivers door, it seems like something might be loose inside of there, anything I should ask. The car comes with a 3month powertrain warranty, and I was thinking about getting a 1 year warranty so that things can all be sorted out.

They are asking 6300 for the car... they say they dont negotiate, what do you guys think? It is a blue exterior and tan interior car.

Please let me know..

Stephen

Old 03-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Default Found the link to the car

It says the car is the LPT Turbo, what is the difference betwene this and the HPT turbo? is the LPT reliable, the car seems to be peppy. I'm looking to drive back and forth to work in it.

2001 Volvo C70 LPT Convertible - Cars For Sale Parlin, NJ

Old 03-11-2012, 03:04 PM

LPT means low pressure turbo, HPT is high pressure turbo. Basically the LPT cars are a little slower, thats all. Both are very reliable, and the rattle in the door is likely from when someone took the panel off either to replace the window regulator or a speaker or something. Mine rattles too. Ask if the timing belt has been changed, I think they go bad around 80-100k miles, and if you let them fail, it'll cost around 3 grand to fix. Good luck and lemme know if you have any other questions =)

Old 04-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Default 2001 c70 convertible

Wish I had never bought mine. The car is pretty and drives great, but there are so many other problems....and they ALL have them. If the top hasn't been replaced, at some point the glue for the back window will fail and the window will fall out. There is NO FIX for this short of replacing the top, which I am finishing today. $639 + shipping, topsonline. Lot of work, but a doable job. Tried every adhesive know to man and none work. The foam liner for the headliner turns to powder and sheds all over, but can be washed when off the car, and looks fine without the foam when reinstalled. The coolant overflow tanks all crack and are around $60. The ABS brake control module almost all fail causing a light show on the dash, and the speedo stops working. It's caused by cold solder joints when manufactured at the power supply pins. New one is big bucks, but if you're real handy you can cut the case apart and resolder the pins...silicone the case back together. SUn visor hinges always break, and I don't think they're even available anymore. Still working on trying to fix mine. Most of the plastic in the car is some type that gets sticky and starts deteriorating...or gets brittle and breaks. Very little can be repaired on these cars unless the mechanic has paid huge $ to subscribe to the Volvo internet. You can't even code a key or fob without software patches from THOR! When any of the many micro processors get funky or need to be replaced, they can only be programed with a software patch from Thor which is expensive, vehicle specific (your VIN), and good one time only. There are NO repair manuals. You need to buy a pirate copy of the factory software VADIS or VIDA, and unless you also purchase an interface device to plug into your OBD port, you can't tell what's wrong. Hopefully what is wrong doesn't require THOR...or it's off to the dealer for a hosing.

Sorry to be so negative, but Volvo has really brought the folks back to the dealers for most repairs. I've been a hobby mechanic and old car restorer for 50 years, but this one beats all for frustration. If I could get more than a fraction of what I paid, I would send this baby on to the next victim.

There are many threads here which describe fixing these things...when they are fixable. This forum is of great value if you insist on owning these newer Volvos.