Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

New Window Reg Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Window Reg Question

I've read all the posts about leaving the replacement of the window regulator on the C70 to the dealership. I'm assuming that either one of the cables popped off the pulley or the pulley is broken.

If I have access to a machine shop and can make new pulleys is this job still difficult to do (or is it the alignment of the window to the regulator that is the tough part)?

Also, my door lock doesn't work. The door latches and unlatches. When I hit the electric door lock switch I can see the door lock go up/down like it should but when the door is "locked" I can still open the door from the outside. What part do I need to order to fix this?

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You need to new door latch assembly.
For the regulator it is a pain to get adjusted properly.
I have never looked at fixing a wheel but it might be do able but also a cable might have broke.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take the door panel off and see what you can see. OEM regulator is about 450$ uninstalled, so that's about an arm and half a leg. Write up on Volvospeed using garage door rollers if that is the part that is broken. I have been seeing a good amount of aftermarket regulators lately for about 170$ but can't speak on their quality, though I have used them in other vehicles just fine. You have to take it apart anyways to repair the lock assembly. Good luck.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:17 AM

Thanks to the both of you. I took off the door panel but stopped when I discovered that I'm going to need to remove the window assembly to fix the door latch. I'll order parts and then start this. From what I can see the passenger door's cable is OK, so it is either the cable jumped the pulley or the pulley is broken. The window goes down fine but gets jammed going up. The driver's door has more issues...

mck70, I wasn't able to find that article about using garage door rollers but would really like to see it. BTW, where are you finding OEM regulators for $450? Cheapest I've been able to find them is slightly over $600.

Last edited by elav; 04-27-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by elav
Thanks to the both of you. I took off the door panel but stopped when I discovered that I'm going to need to remove the window assembly to fix the door latch. I'll order parts and then start this. From what I can see the passenger door's cable is OK, so it is either the cable jumped the pulley or the pulley is broken. The window goes down fine but gets jammed going up. The driver's door has more issues...

mck70, I wasn't able to find that article about using garage door rollers but would really like to see it. BTW, where are you finding OEM regulators for $450? Cheapest I've been able to find them is slightly over $600.
That is full retail for the regulator. I would call Waltrip Volvo and ask for Don or Jamie in parts. 1-800-689-0021. It is nice having the part on hand when you are ready to work on it, but if all it takes is new rollers for the cable then just follow the Volvospeed writeup. Price though on aftermarkets is tempting enough for me to give them a try.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Default regulators

i am in need of one of those aftermarket regualtors for my 98 c70 project can you help me find the company that sells them thansk tom

Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 AM

Well today I removed my window assembly. I replaced the door latch assembly and discovered that my window doesn't work because the top pulley (the white one) was gone. I found about half of the white pulley at the bottom of the door. I re-threaded the wire around the pulley pivot point as a temporary solution (as I need to use the car this wekend) and reinstalled the window. Aligning the the window was a pain but I eventually got it to a point that I was happy with it. I can't see buying an entire new regulator assembly so I'm going to make a replacement pulley. Stay tuned!

Old 08-02-2009, 12:57 AM

Well today I removed my window assembly. I replaced the door latch assembly and discovered that my window doesn't work because the top pulley (the white one) was gone. I found about half of the white pulley at the bottom of the door. I re-threaded the wire around the pulley pivot point as a temporary solution (as I need to use the car this wekend) and reinstalled the window. Aligning the the window was a pain but I eventually got it to a point that I was happy with it. I can't see buying an entire new regulator assembly so I'm going to make a replacement pulley. Stay tuned!
The write up I mentioned before on Volvospeed used rollers from a hardware store, but I noticed the other day that vendors offer the rollers separate. http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=6127
This may or may not be the exact part for you, but they do give several Volvo reference numbers hinting that your part in question may be available individually. Worth checking out for under 8$.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Default regulator

i found a used one on ebay only one in whole country at the time came with a video on installation and a warrenty for 375.00 works great ,installed by my body shop no problems thansk tom

Old 08-02-2009, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by mkc70
The write up I mentioned before on Volvospeed used rollers from a hardware store, but I noticed the other day that vendors offer the rollers separate. http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=6127
I have never been able to find that Volvospeed write up. Thanks for the URL to the pulley. The C70 window regulator doesn't use the same type of pulleys unfortunately.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by flashcardsgo
i found a used one on ebay only one in whole country at the time came with a video on installation and a warrenty for 375.00 works great ,installed by my body shop no problems thansk tom
Tom, do you still happen to have the install video? If so, I would be very interested in seeing it. I could also scan it in and host it so others could have access to this video. Let me know...

Old 08-02-2009, 10:48 AM

I have never been able to find that Volvospeed write up. Thanks for the URL to the pulley. The C70 window regulator doesn't use the same type of pulleys unfortunately.
I have not looked at our regulators close enough to see the difference, but it would be worthwhile at least from a cost stand point to see if the part was available from Volvo. If you posted an image of the broken pulley perhaps we could brainstorm an idea for a replacement part.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:41 AM

Here is what I can tell from the remaining part bits I have (after glueing them together)...

Material: Delrin (based on how it broke, environment it is in, no bearing, didn't glue well)
OD: 43.5 mm (approximately 1.75")
ID ("B" in image): 10.5 mm (0.414" or a touch over 3/8" - I'm sure it is worn)
Width: 5.5 mm (0.215" or approximately 1/4" thick)

The wire rope (aka cable) is approximately 1/8" diameter (although I didn't measure it).

There is no bearing but Delrin itself is an OK bearing material. The pulley is mounted on a post that is swagged in and then spot welded. There seems to be a decent amount of room between the top of the post and the glass so a couple of options are...
1. Find an off-the-shelf pulley, grind off the top of the post, slide on the pulley and then drill/tap the center of the post and capture the pulley with a cap head fastener.
2. Make a 2 part pulley that can be sandwiched around the post and then fastened together somehow.

How do you upload larger pictures?

Attached Thumbnails New Window Reg Question-e1gwohubs.gif   New Window Reg Question-small-pulley.jpg  

Last edited by elav; 08-02-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:40 AM

OK, well originally I was going to grind off the top post, slide a new pulley on and then capture it with a fastener but now I've decided to make a 2 part pulley that will sandwich over the existing post. Is anyone interested in a window regulator pulley repair kit? If so, I'll take the time to make drawings so I can reproduce what I've done. If not, I'll just get my windows working.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:53 AM

OK, well originally I was going to grind off the top post, slide a new pulley on and then capture it with a fastener but now I've decided to make a 2 part pulley that will sandwich over the existing post. Is anyone interested in a window regulator pulley repair kit? If so, I'll take the time to make drawings so I can reproduce what I've done. If not, I'll just get my windows working.

are you KIDDING????? get on it! i've got a buddy who runs a plastic mold shop. He said with the right dimensions and everything he could make a run of these.

Last edited by bimmerd00d; 10-19-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Default Regulator & pulley

How did the pulley turn out? I'm interested in obtaining one for my passenger side window that won't go all the way up.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:47 AM

Volvo C70 window regulator Repair kit I have now fixed my window using new parts you can now buy a window repair kit with the pulley cables and instructions for less than £90 worked a treat online from Electric Window Repairs