Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

NEWBIE QUESTIONS TIL I GET MY FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWBIE QUESTIONS TIL I GET MY FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL

ok guys, please bear with me til i get a factory service manual and owners manual for my C70. until then here are a few questions:

-the clock on the dash has (4) dots after the time, is that for the date? if so how do i set it?

-i had the car alarm go off on me once, but i don't have a remote for the keyless entry nor the anti-theft. how do i set the security without the remote? do the windows roll down with the key in the door?

-how do i set the seat settingmemory?

-is the factory engine PCM flashable? can it be done with a laptop or by a controller?

-does the C70 come with daytime running lights standard? if so, i don't have any [>:]

-i know the biggest wheels that can fit the car is 19", but i'm going with 18"s, whats the maximum safe width i can go?

-the "SERVICE" light is on, so what do i need to have serviced and how does the light reset it's self after a service?

thats all i have for now.
thanks

Old 10-29-2007, 11:38 PM
Default RE: NEWBIE QUESTIONS TIL I GET MY FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL

I'm not in my car, but the 4 dots should be the outside temp... Not sure why it would not register. Maybe the conector is not hoked up to the thermometer.....

I have a convertible, so I dont know about the window thing. It seems odd to me, as to why the windows would roll down. If you dont have the key fob, it is my understanding that if you lock the car with the key, then the alarm is set ( or the red light on the dash would indicate such)

To set the seat, press the number you want to program, while pressing the mem button..

The lights do have daytime running lights. it has to do with the little screw by the light switch. I dont know what setting is what, but its in the instruction book once it arrives... I keep my lights turned all the way on ( pointing verticle) and when the car is off the lights are off. When the car is on. The lights are on... Too easy. No need to worry about anything.

It is my understanding the ECM is flashable by someone.. Look into major aftermarket dealers for more info. or searching.

Not sure what the biggest wheel is. but I would think the tire is the bigger issue. Maybe 8.5" in the front, and 10" in the back ( with proper spacers) tires... maybe a 235, and a 285 in the back. on the respective rims.

The service light needs to be reset with a tool that the dealer has. Take it in, or get the tool. As for what needs to be done.. Who know.. Oil maybe. probably more depending on the miles. I think the light coms on after a period of time, or amount of miles. again its in the book.

I got my service book ( the whole package, felt cover and all) on ebay for $10 bucks or so

S.

ORIGINAL: PANTYEATR

ok guys, please bear with me til i get a factory service manual and owners manual for my C70. until then here are a few questions:

-the clock on the dash has (4) dots after the time, is that for the date? if so how do i set it?

-i had the car alarm go off on me once, but i don't have a remote for the keyless entry nor the anti-theft. how do i set the security without the remote? do the windows roll down with the key in the door?

-how do i set the seat settingmemory?

-is the factory engine PCM flashable? can it be done with a laptop or by a controller?

-does the C70 come with daytime running lights standard? if so, i don't have any [>:]

-i know the biggest wheels that can fit the car is 19", but i'm going with 18"s, whats the maximum safe width i can go?

-the "SERVICE" light is on, so what do i need to have serviced and how does the light reset it's self after a service?

thats all i have for now.
thanks

Old 10-30-2007, 12:26 AM

wow, thanks for the fast response

a thermometer huh......where is the thermometer located? cause i do have a spot in the middle of the dash, really close to the window, that is empty which could have had a daytime running light sensor in it or maybe this thermometer.

BMW, VWand mercedes have the option to roll down the windows with the lock in the driver's door. i was just checking to see if volvo did the same thing.

there is a plug in the middle of the low and high beam bulbs in the headlights and i don't have anything plugged in there, so i was guessing that daytime running was in there

you have to get the factory service manual, so you can try to do some of these expensive repairs on your own. , but i think they don't use books anymore, but they do have a disk with it on there, so i'm gonna try to get a copy or the repair manual and the parts manual, so i can get this whip into shape.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:04 PM

wow, thanks for the fast response

a thermometer huh......where is the thermometer located? cause i do have a spot in the middle of the dash, really close to the window, that is empty which could have had a daytime running light sensor in it or maybe this thermometer.

BMW, VWand mercedes have the option to roll down the windows with the lock in the driver's door. i was just checking to see if volvo did the same thing.

there is a plug in the middle of the low and high beam bulbs in the headlights and i don't have anything plugged in there, so i was guessing that daytime running was in there

you have to get the factory service manual, so you can try to do some of these expensive repairs on your own. , but i think they don't use books anymore, but they do have a disk with it on there, so i'm gonna try to get a copy or the repair manual and the parts manual, so i can get this whip into shape.
Just re-reading. I didn't order a factory service manual. I ordered the owners manual. Most of your questions are covered in there. In detail.

The hole in the centre of your dash is probably the light that tells you the alarm is armed. The thermomoter is lovated below the car, in the front. Maybe Tech, can provice a better location.

S.

P.S. maybe its just me but the all CAPS title makes me not want to click on the topic, out of spite! try lower case, with proper punctuation. On and the search function, will cover many questions...

Old 10-30-2007, 03:46 PM

oh my bad, i just capitalize the title so it's seen better, but i'll change it next time.

man, that squared hole must have a big LED in there wow!

another question:

what size are the injectors on the LPT models and are they high impedance or low impedance?

Old 10-31-2007, 07:30 PM

Shaun, your right about the hole in the center of the dash being for the security light. i looked in there after locking the door with the key andi saw it flashing, but it is off centered in the hole.

i have looked at some rims for the car and i chose to get 18"x 7.5 is that a good size to look for? i wanna get the biggest i can without spacers

i wanna get a copy of the factory service manual on disk in a PDF file, should i go to the dealer for it or ebay?

Old 10-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

18"x7.5" will looks nice and they will fit. You will rub though at full lock. If you get this size rim I would go with a nice rubber but nothing too big or too small.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:02 PM

Hey Rob, I was checking out your pics on Car Domain and have a few questions if you don't mind;

1) Did you get your projector headlights from Ebay or EST? Are they the same ones? I tried to compare pics and they look the same; except EST is $500+shipping vs Ebay is $420 shipped. Also, did you consider black housing instead of chrome? I'm trying to decide since we have the same white body color.

2) Did you paint the headlight "brows" yourself or at a shop? Any info on how or how much?

TIA

ORIGINAL: S70driver

18"x7.5" will looks nice and they will fit. You will rub though at full lock. If you get this size rim I would go with a nice rubber but nothing too big or too small.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: teaberry

Hey Rob, I was checking out your pics on Car Domain and have a few questions if you don't mind;

1) Did you get your projector headlights from Ebay or EST? Are they the same ones? I tried to compare pics and they look the same; except EST is $500+shipping vs Ebay is $420 shipped. Also, did you consider black housing instead of chrome? I'm trying to decide since we have the same white body color.

2) Did you paint the headlight "brows" yourself or at a shop? Any info on how or how much?

TIA

ORIGINAL: S70driver

1. I got the headlights from EBAY and I got the matching turn signals from DTMwerks. And yes they are the same thing, just sold by different people. I did consider the Chrome Vs. Black versions. Honestly I liked the Chrome over the black but I can see that the black ones would go well with my black grille. A lot of other people suggested that I should have gone with the black ones, but I like the Chrome ones and to be honest I am not a huge fan of Chrome anything on cars.

2. I had a shop paint the eyebrows. Only way it was going to get done. I don't have the equipment to do it right. It cost me $25 to have both of them painted at a shop in town.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:03 PM

ok, why did i call my local volvo dealer here in orlando to get a quote on the factory service manual for my car and they told me it would cost $2600!

the parts guy said that it was something called a master set. normally these things cost about $80 - $100, but dang $2600. thats a lil too much just to know how to get door panels off and sun roof covers out.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

WOW who did you talk to?
I got your message but was in a meeting. Then when I got out I missed when you would have been at break.
We will talk soon.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:56 PM

i talked to the parts dept. at Fields volvo on south OBT. i called the volvo store today and they said that the manual comes in sections, so if i wanted the engine manual i have to buy them seperate from the interior manual.

i have a dodge factory service manual for my neon and it's the size of a telephone book with everything in it.

i want a complete manual that i can open and see how to get into the dash, and make my own repairs that i can handle. are those EBAY manuals on CD any good?

Old 11-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Maybe someone on here has bought one but I haven't seen them as of yet.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:29 PM

well everyone i had the luxury of meeting Tech at his work and it was great. we talked for a lil bit and he showed me some volvo stuff which was really cool.

i also checked up on this VADIS and VCT 2000 stuff and yeah i see why it cost like $2900+

you get a IBM thinkpad, the communication box with cables to hook up to the car, and the software. i would like to have everything minus the laptop cause i have 2 of those.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Administrator

i would like to have everything minus the laptop cause i have 2 of those.
If you ever sell one for REALLY cheap look me up first!!!

Old 11-11-2007, 01:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Volvo are going on the the "DICE" for vehicle communication system they are going to get rid of the VCT2000. If u don't notice by now since the OBD 2 cable is used by everyone and no one takes good care of themin a dealer they tend to break extremely easy. That's why they are going to use the DICE in which obd 2 plugs but wireless connecting to the VIDA (formally known as VADIS). There should be lot's of VCT 2000 out in the market soon if volvo decide not to take them back to destroy it. BTW VADIS rocks!!! VIDA is one of the worst diagnositic software that Volvo ever use to diagnose a car. VADIS cancommunicate cars up to 04 and small amount of 05's but none the less the best software that Volvo ever built to diagnose a car! If u can get a hold ofVADIS and VCT2000 it iswell worth to keep forever... But 1 thing just need to keep rollingdate back on computer forVADISto keep working since it have expire date hahahaha

well everyone i had the luxury of meeting Tech at his work and it was great. we talked for a lil bit and he showed me some volvo stuff which was really cool.

i also checked up on this VADIS and VCT 2000 stuff and yeah i see why it cost like $2900+

you get a IBM thinkpad, the communication box with cables to hook up to the car, and the software. i would like to have everything minus the laptop cause i have 2 of those.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:55 PM

well volvo brothers, i just purchased some wheels for my car. i should have them on monday. 18x7.5 should look really nice. i'm thinking of anodizing the mesh gold or red, but i'm not sure yet. lemme know what you think.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Administrator

I think they will look Sweet on there.
What are you going to do with the old ones you take off?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:26 PM

i dunno, but i don't have too many places to store them. what are you thinking? ? ? ?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Maybe a cheap deal or some kind of trade off? or something like that. A spare set of rims is always good.

Quick Reply: NEWBIE QUESTIONS TIL I GET MY FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL