Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo C70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-c70-14/)
-   -   Newly purchased manual T5 questions (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-c70-14/newly-purchased-manual-t5-questions-100199/)

zaballosc 06-19-2019 01:15 PM

Newly purchased manual T5 questions

Hello!
I just recently came into ownership of a perfect condition C70 T5. It's an '07 manual, with 70k miles. I love this car, but I want the exhaust to be slightly throatier. Are there any mufflers you would recommend to increase the sound of the stock exhaust just slightly? This is my daily driver, so I'm looking for the smallest sound increase I can get.

Also, what areas of these cars are prone to failure? I want to make sure that I maintain its condition, so any advice would be helpful.
I've already fallen in love with this car, and look forwards to adding miles as quick as I can.

tedders 06-25-2019 03:03 PM

Some items to watch for

Originally Posted by zaballosc (Post 474641)
Hello!
I just recently came into ownership of a perfect condition C70 T5. It's an '07 manual, with 70k miles. I love this car, but I want the exhaust to be slightly throatier. Are there any mufflers you would recommend to increase the sound of the stock exhaust just slightly? This is my daily driver, so I'm looking for the smallest sound increase I can get.

Also, what areas of these cars are prone to failure? I want to make sure that I maintain its condition, so any advice would be helpful.
I've already fallen in love with this car, and look forwards to adding miles as quick as I can.

Hi!

Keep an eye on the "cables", that is, the very thin ropes that help control the top's opening and closing. Open your top half way, then take a good long, hard look at them. Inspect them for wear, fraying, etc. Some of these - the long one on the passenger side - are almost impossible to find! If you do find wear, take wax or a cake of soap and run it over the worn area.

Check also that the cable guides are all there. I had one pop out and found it down at the attach point of the cable.

Close the trunk divider easily and carefully. The posts can break off!

Front wheel bearings tend to wear out at about 110,000 miles.

Change the oil in the engine AND the tranny before you run your new toy too much!

If the car didn't come with a spare, get one! And, get a proper fitting lug wrench!

The wheel lug nuts can deform ! They have a thin chrome covering that if a bit messed up, won't let a lug wrench fit over the nut easily. NOTE: these can be a real pain, and are not cheap to replace!

But, enjoy the open top!

Drive laughing! :D

Tedders

Hanafi 06-26-2019 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by zaballosc (Post 474641)
Hello!

I'm after the same exhaust upgrade and haven't found the answer yet! One friend suggested a certain muffler shop, who have lots of general experience for a custom job. There are a few choices out there, but I'm hesitant until I can hear them. I want to hear it, but not HEAR IT!! ;)

mt6127 06-26-2019 12:42 PM

re the exhaust, google for "Volvo ECU tuning" shops. Many sell cat back exhaust systems, large down pipes to go their the ECU tuning products. There's also Magaflow who sell their dealers fabrication kits to build custom exhausts.