Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Newly purchased manual T5 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newly purchased manual T5 questions

Hello!
I just recently came into ownership of a perfect condition C70 T5. It's an '07 manual, with 70k miles. I love this car, but I want the exhaust to be slightly throatier. Are there any mufflers you would recommend to increase the sound of the stock exhaust just slightly? This is my daily driver, so I'm looking for the smallest sound increase I can get.

Also, what areas of these cars are prone to failure? I want to make sure that I maintain its condition, so any advice would be helpful.
I've already fallen in love with this car, and look forwards to adding miles as quick as I can.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some items to watch for

Originally Posted by zaballosc
Hello!
I just recently came into ownership of a perfect condition C70 T5. It's an '07 manual, with 70k miles. I love this car, but I want the exhaust to be slightly throatier. Are there any mufflers you would recommend to increase the sound of the stock exhaust just slightly? This is my daily driver, so I'm looking for the smallest sound increase I can get.

Also, what areas of these cars are prone to failure? I want to make sure that I maintain its condition, so any advice would be helpful.
I've already fallen in love with this car, and look forwards to adding miles as quick as I can.
Hi!

Keep an eye on the "cables", that is, the very thin ropes that help control the top's opening and closing. Open your top half way, then take a good long, hard look at them. Inspect them for wear, fraying, etc. Some of these - the long one on the passenger side - are almost impossible to find! If you do find wear, take wax or a cake of soap and run it over the worn area.

Check also that the cable guides are all there. I had one pop out and found it down at the attach point of the cable.

Close the trunk divider easily and carefully. The posts can break off!

Front wheel bearings tend to wear out at about 110,000 miles.

Change the oil in the engine AND the tranny before you run your new toy too much!

If the car didn't come with a spare, get one! And, get a proper fitting lug wrench!

The wheel lug nuts can deform ! They have a thin chrome covering that if a bit messed up, won't let a lug wrench fit over the nut easily. NOTE: these can be a real pain, and are not cheap to replace!

But, enjoy the open top!

Drive laughing!

Tedders

Old 06-26-2019, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by zaballosc
Hello!

I'm after the same exhaust upgrade and haven't found the answer yet! One friend suggested a certain muffler shop, who have lots of general experience for a custom job. There are a few choices out there, but I'm hesitant until I can hear them. I want to hear it, but not HEAR IT!!

Old 06-26-2019, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

re the exhaust, google for "Volvo ECU tuning" shops. Many sell cat back exhaust systems, large down pipes to go their the ECU tuning products. There's also Magaflow who sell their dealers fabrication kits to build custom exhausts.